Windows 10: Disk Cleanup running unexpectedly.

Discus and support Disk Cleanup running unexpectedly. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am currently having an issue where Disk Cleanup is running unexpectedly. Below I'll run down how I've discovered this issue but the primary question... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Newlyn Erratt, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Disk Cleanup running unexpectedly.

I am currently having an issue where Disk Cleanup is running unexpectedly. Below I'll run down how I've discovered this issue but the primary question I have is, what triggers this process to run? Despite the PC having 870GB of free space the task is running and clearing out user temp folders which is causing havoc with an application.

Rundown of issue and diagnosis of the issue:

1. I have an app that must be restarted after leaving open overnight. I pinpoint the error message to a folder missing in the users temp directory
    2. I run procmon overnight with the program and see that cleanmgr.exe deletes the files in AppData\Local\Temp while the machine is inactive.
    3. Looking slightly earlier I see that it ran a task from registry with path \Microsoft\Windows\DiskCleanup\SilentCleanup
    4. Looking at Windows Task Scheduler I can see the DisckCleanup task called SilentCleanup at the same time the files were deleted.

When I look at the task the description mentions being launched when running low on disk space. However, the PC has 870GB of free disk space. My end users will require this software run in the background so they cannot easily see when it needs restarted and I really don't like the idea of disabling the task altogether.

:)

Newlyn Erratt, Jan 11, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jan 11, 2019
  3. tigger Win User
    disk cleanup running randomly

I am running windows 8.1, the disk cleanup window for c keeps popping up, if i move the mouse towards it, it disappear. Is there something nasty on my machine causing this?

I have scanned with malwarebytes and cc cleaner but they find nothing.

Any ideas?

tigger

tigger, Jan 11, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Disk Cleanup running unexpectedly.

In Disk Cleanup, should I delete Thumbnails?

Hi Marcia

The correct way to run disk cleanup is explained below, you need to run it twice and yes, delete everything suggested by Disk Cleanup:

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jan 11, 2019
Thema:

Disk Cleanup running unexpectedly.

1. Disk Cleanup running unexpectedly. - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup running

2. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: why won't Disk Cleanup delete the 3.2gb of temp files. when I try using the remove files in settings, they are shown as deleted but if I renter settings they reapear. why is that?...
  3. Run Disk Cleanup as Admin

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Run Disk Cleanup as Admin: There hasn't been an update on using Disk Cleanup in a few years here, though there was a good discussion on this utility a while back when we first heard it might disappear from Windows 10 (Disk Cleanup is Going Away in Windows 10). One thing many home users may not have...
  4. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  5. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  6. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  7. Disk Cleanup takes long time to run

Disk Cleanup takes long time to run: Hello, I'm running Win 10 Pro v1903. Always, when I was launching Disk Cleanup, it was cleaning the disk in seconds. I've noticed recently that when I launch Disk Cleanup, it takes exactly 3min 56 sec (timed) to run while the elements to be cleaned are empty. Is there a...
  8. Disk Cleanup takes long time to run

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup takes long time to run: Hello, I'm running Win 10 Pro v1903. Always, when I was launching Disk Cleanup, it was cleaning the disk in seconds. I've noticed recently that when I launch Disk Cleanup, it takes exactly 3min 56 sec (timed) to run while the elements to be cleaned are empty. Is there a...
  9. Disk Cleanup will not run when i select it.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup will not run when i select it.: 1) Disk Cleanup will not run when I select it. 2) When I am able to get it to run by killing the process in task manager I don't see it restart in task manager., when I select to check administrative files it gets stuck on "Mixed Reality". 3) When I run a windows defender...
  10. Disk Cleanup

Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk space cleanup manager for windows running randomly