Windows 10: Disk cleanup selection in order to free space

Discus and support Disk cleanup selection in order to free space in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I need to free space on my C: drive because right now I have only 27 GB of free space. I would like to know : 1) Do you recommend to select... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by stylemaster, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Disk cleanup selection in order to free space

Hi

I need to free space on my C: drive because right now I have only 27 GB of free space.

I would like to know :

1) Do you recommend to select "compress your OS drive" in the Disk Cleanup in order to free space, and what are the consequences of doing that?

2) Is it safe to remove C:\Recovery folder ?

Thanks in advance

Disk cleanup selection in order to free space ba8149b8-893d-4236-a7c6-bf015e983046?upload=true.png

:)

stylemaster, Feb 7, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Feb 7, 2019
  3. f14tomcat Win User
    disk cleanup out of order?

If Edge is open, there will be a lot of locked files.

To delete files in the Temporary Internet Files folder (or cache) in Microsoft Edge, follow the steps below:

• Open your Microsoft Edge browser.
    • Click on the More Actions menu with three dots, then select Settings.
    • Below Clear Browsing Data, click Choose what to clear.
    • Select the data that you want to delete.
    • Click Clear.

Also, as an alternative to Disk Cleanup, try the command line version, as Admin:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

f14tomcat, Feb 7, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Disk cleanup selection in order to free space

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Feb 7, 2019
Thema:

Disk cleanup selection in order to free space

1. Disk cleanup selection in order to free space - Similar Threads - Disk cleanup selection

2. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Step 2: Clean up System Restore and Shadow Copies Step 3: Clean up Temporary files Step 4: Check for...
  3. Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup to Free up disk space in Windows 10: This instruction helps you clean up temporary and unnecessary system files on your Windows to free up space From the original post here: https://huntertran.com/2020/11/23/disk-cleanup-to-free-disk-space/ Step 1: Open disk clean up with Clean up system file enabled Type...
  4. Freeing Disk Space

Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  5. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  6. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  7. Disk cleaning selection to free up space.

Disk cleaning selection to free up space.: Hello I need free space on my disk C: because now I only have 27 GB of free space. I would like to know if it is recommended to select "compress the operating system drive" in disk cleanup to free up space. Thanks in advance...
  8. Disk Cleanup Not Freeing Space From Windows Updates

Disk Cleanup Not Freeing Space From Windows Updates: I'm trying to free up space running disk cleanup to remove downloaded updates. When I started cleaning I had 16 GB availible on my hard drive. Disk Cleanup found over 6.5 GB worth of Windows Updates. When Disk Cleanup finished running I checked my available space and it was...
  9. Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues: I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I check in the task manager, I searched for solutions and found a number of methods including repairing my C drive. It was scanned...
  10. disk cleanup out of order?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    disk cleanup out of order?: After disk cleanup ran once, files which can be cleaned, seems to increase. And after many runs, files are not completely removed. Is this out of order? [img] [img] 89675