Windows 10: Disk Cleanup takes long time to run

Discus and support Disk Cleanup takes long time to run in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello, I'm running Win 10 Pro v1903. Always, when I was launching Disk Cleanup, it was cleaning the disk in seconds. I've noticed recently that when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by coukou, Sep 5, 2019.

1. coukou Win User

Disk Cleanup takes long time to run

Hello,

I'm running Win 10 Pro v1903.
    Always, when I was launching Disk Cleanup, it was cleaning the disk in seconds.

I've noticed recently that when I launch Disk Cleanup, it takes exactly 3min 56 sec (timed) to run while the elements to be cleaned are empty.

Is there a way to speed up this process?
    Regards

Disk Cleanup takes long time to run [​IMG]

:)

coukou, Sep 5, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Sep 5, 2019
  3. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Sep 5, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Files in disk cleanup

Hi Lynne

Rest assured, it is totally safe to delete everything suggested by the Disk Cleanup Process, please tun the Disk Cleanup twice as explained below, please remember to untick your Downloads folder if you actually store files in that folder . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Sep 5, 2019
Thema:

1. Disk Cleanup takes long time to run - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup takes

2. Windows Update Cleanup in Windows Disk Cleanup takes a long time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Update Cleanup in Windows Disk Cleanup takes a long time: Last time, it was taken 1 hour to cleanup Windows Update in Windows Disk Cleanup, what is best alternative to cleanup Windows Update in Windows Disk Cleanup? I am using Windows 10 version 1809 Enterprise LTSC 182697
  3. *EMERGENCY*Disk cleanup takes a lot of time to display.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    *EMERGENCY*Disk cleanup takes a lot of time to display.: Hey, The issue here is that when I open disk cleanup's option, Clean up system files, it takes a lot of time about 30 seconds to display the area where it calculates how much junk I can clean. This also happens with msconfig. When I open msconfig, it also takes a lot of time...
  4. Disk cleanup takes a lot of time to display.

Disk cleanup takes a lot of time to display.: Hey, The issue here is that when I open disk cleanup's option, Clean up system files, it takes a lot of time about 30 seconds to display the area where it calculates how much junk I can clean. This also happens with msconfig. When I open msconfig, it also takes a lot of time...
  5. Repairing disk errors screen takes a long time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Repairing disk errors screen takes a long time: The Repairing disk errors screen says it will take over an hour to complete but it is taking longer than that. Could someone please help? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repairing-disk-errors-screen-takes-a-long-time/e46a0653-58b9-40cb-9dd1-225802e11ba8
  6. External disk fixing takes very long time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External disk fixing takes very long time: Hi, I have Windows 10. I had a problem with my external hard drive it said fatal hardware error as it was not recognized by the system, though found as disk F:\. I restarted as sometimes it fixes such bugs. right at the start of booting, windows started fixing my...
  7. Windows 10 takes a long time to run any executable and File Explorer takes a long time to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 takes a long time to run any executable and File Explorer takes a long time to...: As per title, Windows10 takes almost 2 minutes to open any executable file. File Explorer takes up to 3 minutes to load a folder and up to one minute whenever I right click something. Disabled most of the shell extensions that caused trouble but it still lags a lot. I just...
  8. Disk Cleanup takes long time to run

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup takes long time to run: Hello, I'm running Win 10 Pro v1903. Always, when I was launching Disk Cleanup, it was cleaning the disk in seconds. I've noticed recently that when I launch Disk Cleanup, it takes exactly 3min 56 sec (timed) to run while the elements to be cleaned are empty. Is there a...
  9. Apps/Programs take a long time to open/run

Apps/Programs take a long time to open/run: I have an Octo Core Processor but everything that I try to run/open up takes a long time, I have a reading showing that the Processor runs at around 2% to 3% and the 8GB of Ram is using about 45% to 48% when the computer is idle, how can I be using 45% of ram when the...
  10. Disk Cleanup running unexpectedly.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup running unexpectedly.: I am currently having an issue where Disk Cleanup is running unexpectedly. Below I'll run down how I've discovered this issue but the primary question I have is, what triggers this process to run? Despite the PC having 870GB of free space the task is running and clearing out...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows disk cleanup taking a long time

2. disk cleanup taking a long time

3. disk cleanup windows 10 taking a long time

4. window cleanup takes a long time