Windows 10: Disk Cleanup: Thumbnail File

Discus and support Disk Cleanup: Thumbnail File in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Question: I use Disk Cleanup to periodically keep my files clean. I notice that a file called Thumbnail keeps growing in size each day and I have to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Rej_101, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Rej_101 Win User

Disk Cleanup: Thumbnail File

Question: I use Disk Cleanup to periodically keep my files clean. I notice that a file called Thumbnail keeps growing in size each day and I have to run Disk Cleanup on regular basis to keep this file from growing larger and larger! How can I prevent this problem?

:)

Rej_101, Jan 30, 2021

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jan 30, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    In Disk Cleanup, should I delete Thumbnails?

Hi Marcia

The correct way to run disk cleanup is explained below, you need to run it twice and yes, delete everything suggested by Disk Cleanup:

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jan 30, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Files in disk cleanup

Hi Lynne

Rest assured, it is totally safe to delete everything suggested by the Disk Cleanup Process, please tun the Disk Cleanup twice as explained below, please remember to untick your Downloads folder if you actually store files in that folder . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Jan 30, 2021
Thema:

1. Disk Cleanup: Thumbnail File - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup Thumbnail

2. Thumbnails option missing from disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Thumbnails option missing from disk cleanup: I was having an issue with images loading a bit slowly in my folders and one of the suggestions was to do a disk cleanup and make sure the thumbnails box was checked.However, I have no thumbnails box. The last box is Temporary FilesThere is a previous thread with an answer...
  3. Thumbnails option missing from disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thumbnails option missing from disk cleanup: I was having an issue with images loading a bit slowly in my folders and one of the suggestions was to do a disk cleanup and make sure the thumbnails box was checked.However, I have no thumbnails box. The last box is Temporary FilesThere is a previous thread with an answer...
  4. Thumbnails option missing from disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup: Windows Update Cleanup Files: Usually, whenever I clear system files in the disk cleanup utility, all of the Windows Update Cleanup stuff goes away. However, recently is has been persistently coming back, which is very annoying, The size of the files is consistently around 54 MB. See screenshot below....
  6. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  7. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  8. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...
  9. In Disk Cleanup, should I delete Thumbnails?

in Windows 10 Customization
    In Disk Cleanup, should I delete Thumbnails?: In Disk Cleanup, should I delete Thumbnails? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/in-disk-cleanup-should-i-delete-thumbnails/778b554d-74c5-4478-8757-76eef02cbfa7
  10. Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup: Hi all. I have had 175mb of Temporary Files in Disk Cleanup for what seems like a few months now which will not seem to go following the routine disk cleanup action. I waited until the next major CU came and went which happened last night but it still says 175mb of...