Windows 10: Disk Cleanup Windows 10 killed my computer

Discus and support Disk Cleanup Windows 10 killed my computer in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Used disk cleanup including system files (crazily assumed it wouldn't delete anything important!). Now its like I'm running a 286SX processor with 10MB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by KevinBarryWarner, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Disk Cleanup Windows 10 killed my computer

Used disk cleanup including system files (crazily assumed it wouldn't delete anything important!). Now its like I'm running a 286SX processor with 10MB of RAM.

Have Windows 10 64-bit, Pentium Dual-Core CPU T4400 @ 2.20GHz, 4.0GB RAM Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family on a Dell Inspiron Laptop. Have stopped Windows 10 updates since this machine meant to run Windows 7

Ran fine (not powerful enough to run anything "New" with ANY intense graphics) before now, but takes MINUTES to register the movement of the "nib" in an older M.S. Word document. I mean LITERALLY sits there doing NOTHING when try to type anything, or Press "Back" button in Internet Explorer or Firefox, double click on an image to pull it up, etc.

Is there ANY WAY to restore this computer to AT LEAST the abilities of a 10 year old computer?!!! (THANKS Microsoft for Disk Cleanup that DESTROYS computers!!!)

:)

KevinBarryWarner, Dec 7, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Dec 7, 2018
  3. Disk cleanup not working on Windows 10.

Hello David,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. We regret the inconvenience caused and will assist you in resolving the issue.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

• What is the exact error message you are getting?
    • Are you trying to delete the temporary files or system files using
      Disk cleanup
      ?

Disk cleanup is used to delete the un-wanted and un-necessary temporary files located in your PC. However you can also use Disk cleanup to delete system files on the PC, which is not recommended as it might cause system
    performance issues on the PC.

When performing Disk Cleanup, checking the appropriate options is necessary so you do not delete the restore points present in the system.

Refer to the steps from the link below on Disk cleanup in Windows 10 and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

If the issue persists, is suggest you to close all the system windows which is kept open on the desktop and check if the Disk cleanup method works.

Write to us with the answers to the above questions and the status of the issue on the same post for further assistance. Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Disk Cleanup Windows 10 killed my computer

Disk Cleanup not working on Windows 10

Hi Ron,

There are instances that the Disk Cleanup won't run. This may be due to system file corruption or possible that Windows is having issues deleting the temporary files. For us to sort this out, I suggest that you run an SFC scan. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Right-click the Windows key and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    2. In the command prompt window, type in sfc /scannow and hit
      Enter
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions.
    4. Restart or reboot your computer after the scan.
    5. Try running the Disk Cleanup again.

In case the issue persists, then please perform a clean boot for us to determine whether or not this behavior is triggered by a third party software or application. For the detailed steps, please look for
    How to perform a clean boot from the link
    How to perform a clean boot in Windows
    and follow the steps for
    Windows 10
    . Make sure to tick Hide all Microsoft services before disabling all other services.

Once the troubleshooting is finished, then start your computer normally. You may check out Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting and follow the steps for Windows 10.

Please update this thread with the result so I'll be able to assist you further.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Disk Cleanup Windows 10 killed my computer

1. Disk Cleanup Windows 10 killed my computer - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup killed

2. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: Why does the Disk Cleanup still exist on Windows 10/Server 2022/11? Like no one uses it.sorry for selecting something differewnt on the sub-topics, it did not giive me the disk cleanup....
  3. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Cleanup: why won't Disk Cleanup delete the 3.2gb of temp files. when I try using the remove files in settings, they are shown as deleted but if I renter settings they reapear. why is that?...
  4. Disk Cleanup, Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Cleanup, Windows 10: Disk Cleanup does not remove any of the following files: Windows Update Cleanup 54MB Windows Defender Antivirus 20 MB Temporary Internet Files 13 MB. I have tried running Disk Cleanup as Admin by right-clicking in Administrative Tools. Is Disk Cleanup bugged? How do I...
  5. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  6. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  7. Windows 10 is killing my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is killing my computer: I have never had as many issues with my laptop as I'm having right now. What the hell can I do to fix it? It's slowed down unbelievably and everything takes about 5 minutes to open. This happened after the last update cycle which failed to work on my computer and I'm at a...
  8. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  9. Windows 10 Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Disk Cleanup: When I run the disk cleanup option, it suggests there is 1.421gb of data in downloads, but there is nothing there (including after switching on hidden items) ???? I'm worried about what this means and if I choose delete, what will actually be deleted form where??? Here is...
  10. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...