Windows 10: DISK CLEANUP WIPED out my entire "DOCUMENTS" FOLDER

Discus and support DISK CLEANUP WIPED out my entire "DOCUMENTS" FOLDER in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had no idea 'DISK CLEANUP" on my ROOT DISK would totally wipe my "DOCUMENTS" Folder and some extremely important files, all it left was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jagman, Jul 24, 2021.

1. jagman Win User

DISK CLEANUP WIPED out my entire "DOCUMENTS" FOLDER

I had no idea 'DISK CLEANUP" on my ROOT DISK would totally wipe my "DOCUMENTS" Folder and some extremely important files, all it left was a 'desktop'ini'. It did not touch my DOWNLOADS folder. Does anyone know why it would do this? Can I not trust it any more? AND why would it do this? Also, I have tried to compare two DISKS and put them 'side by side' with 'Window Explorer' windows. It refused by constantly making one FULL windows when I tried to move it in position. I have tried to find out if there is any way to remove or disable the "artificial intelligence" in Windows to make it stop anticipation doing what IT THINKS I WANT TO DO AND DO WHAT I TELL IT TO DO like making windows FULL if I touch them with a Mouse. WINDOWS VERSION 20H2 [OS BUILD 19042.1110] DELL version on a DELL Inspiron 5593

:)

jagman, Jul 24, 2021

2. Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder

I ran disk clean up last night, and noticed that the Downloads folder were an option. On account that I’ve used this tool for decades, and that it says that it removes «unnecessary files», I thought that I would clean up some leftovers from various updates.
    But instead it wiped the entire folder clean! It contained everything from photos, documents, programs etc!

How do I recover these files?!

BeardHammer, Jul 24, 2021
  3. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Jul 24, 2021
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Files in disk cleanup

Hi Lynne

Rest assured, it is totally safe to delete everything suggested by the Disk Cleanup Process, please tun the Disk Cleanup twice as explained below, please remember to untick your Downloads folder if you actually store files in that folder . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Jul 24, 2021
Thema:

1. DISK CLEANUP WIPED out my entire "DOCUMENTS" FOLDER - Similar Threads - DISK CLEANUP WIPED

2. Media creation tool wipe out entire sdd?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool wipe out entire sdd?: I am using windows 11 and I want to go back to windows 10. I do it by media creation tool and upgrade now option. But it is not showing keep personal files option. So I retreat and cancel the installation window. Will it wipe out everything or only the c drive?...
  3. Media creation tool wipe out entire sdd?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Media creation tool wipe out entire sdd?: I am using windows 11 and I want to go back to windows 10. I do it by media creation tool and upgrade now option. But it is not showing keep personal files option. So I retreat and cancel the installation window. Will it wipe out everything or only the c drive?...
  4. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  5. Entire Documents folder wiped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Entire Documents folder wiped: Hi. After restarting my PC, my entire Documents folder has been wiped, losing 20 GB of my project files. Was there a reason for this happening? I hadn't touched it and it just vanished. It wasn't hidden and I wasn't in a temporary user account. Using data recovery software...
  6. Evil windows wiped my entire downloads folder clean

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Evil windows wiped my entire downloads folder clean: hello everyone I'm using windows 10, and a few days ago it updated itself. after the update it seemed like my whole desktop was gone with it's downloads, but it was not the case and everything was well. the files were hiding elsewhere, and a quick search on the internet...
  7. Windows 10 wiped out all my documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 wiped out all my documents: I switched on my HP laptop today and worked on it, everything was fine. I left it on sleep for about 2 hours, and came back to find there was a notification that Windows had signed me out of my user account. However, it logged in, and I found my desktop wallpaper was changed...
  8. Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Disk CleanUp wiped my entire Download folder: I ran disk clean up last night, and noticed that the Downloads folder were an option. On account that I’ve used this tool for decades, and that it says that it removes «unnecessary files», I thought that I would clean up some leftovers from various updates. But instead it...
  9. Disk Cleanup - downloads folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup - downloads folder: Just noticed that 1809 disk cleanup now has downloads in the list - could cause problems if you're not paying attention. I'm used to blindly ticking all boxes... [img] 122195
  10. disk cleanup out of order?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    disk cleanup out of order?: After disk cleanup ran once, files which can be cleaned, seems to increase. And after many runs, files are not completely removed. Is this out of order? [img] [img] 89675