Windows 10: Disk Cleanup Won't Open

Discus and support Disk Cleanup Won't Open in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Disk Cleanup opened once and after clicking 'Clean System Files' it closed. When I try to run it by clicking on it in the start menu noting happens.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JamesJoey, Mar 7, 2019.

1. JamesJoey Win User

Disk Cleanup Won't Open

Disk Cleanup opened once and after clicking 'Clean System Files' it closed. When I try to run it by clicking on it in the start menu noting happens.

Any Ideas?????

James

:)

JamesJoey, Mar 7, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Mar 7, 2019
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Mar 7, 2019
  4. DaveM121 Win User

Disk Cleanup Won't Open

In Disk Cleanup, should I delete Thumbnails?

Hi Marcia

The correct way to run disk cleanup is explained below, you need to run it twice and yes, delete everything suggested by Disk Cleanup:

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Start Disk Cleanup again

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

DaveM121, Mar 7, 2019
Thema:

Disk Cleanup Won't Open

1. Disk Cleanup Won't Open - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup Won't

2. Disk cleanup won't open on Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk cleanup won't open on Win 10: Disk Cleanup won't open on my Win 10 Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.3086. This problem persisted even after several Windows Updates.After I click on Disk Cleanup, I can see it listed on task manager, but the app fails to open.Moreover, while it's trying to open, it causes loss...
  3. Disk cleanup won't open on Win 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk cleanup won't open on Win 10: Disk Cleanup won't open on my Win 10 Version 22H2 OS Build 19045.3086. This problem persisted even after several Windows Updates.After I click on Disk Cleanup, I can see it listed on task manager, but the app fails to open.Moreover, while it's trying to open, it causes loss...
  4. Disk cleanup won't open on Win 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    disk cleanup: disk cleanup https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/4e0cc450-a69e-4f33-b684-2e2901f62732
  6. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleanup: [ATTACH] is it common for disk cleanup to affect the computers performance last time i used it made me make a whole clean installation of windows 10 since it became very laggy i wonder if this new option will do me any better since i have 7gb of files that needs to be...
  7. Disk Cleanup won't display system files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup won't display system files: When I go to Disk Cleanup it will allow me to delete the files it displays, but when I click on "System Files" it changes immediately back to the desktop and I never get back into disk cleanup again to remove the Windows.old and Windows.old.000. Can I just delete the contents...
  8. Disk Cleanup won't display system files

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup won't display system files: When I go to Disk Cleanup it will allow me to delete the files it displays, but when I click on "System Files" it changes immediately back to the desktop and I never get back into disk cleanup again to remove the Windows.old and Windows.old.000. Can I just delete the contents...
  9. DISK CLEANUP

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    DISK CLEANUP: Everytime I try to do Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 it always stalls when it hits "Windows Defender AntiVirus" I can never get it to complete what gives? HELP https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup/a55ceefb-b2ff-4ef5-9107-07ff4e2a91bc"
  10. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Hello Forum, Recently made system upgrade to version 1803. (Auto update still disabled). Opened the MS update catalog and downloaded almost all update files for this version (x64), read a little about each one and worked for 3 days to install them. When finished I saw that...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk cleanup wont open

2. why wont disk cleanup open

3. disk cleanup windows 10 wont open

4. disk cleanup wont launch,
  5. windows 10 disk cleanup wont start,
  6. disk cleanup icon will not open,
  7. disk cleanup wont open windows 10,
  8. disc cleanup wont open ,
  9. disk cleanup app wont open windows 10,
  10. windows 10 disk cleanup wont run,
  11. windows 10 disk cleanup wont open,