Windows 10: Disk Cleanup

Discus and support Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Question if I may, Please I have an up-to-date windows-10 home desktop, including new (October) feature update. I have been reading that CCleaner is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jaybo, Oct 4, 2018.

1. jaybo Win User

Disk Cleanup

Question if I may, Please
    I have an up-to-date windows-10 home desktop, including new (October) feature update. I have been reading that CCleaner is not recommended any longer. Instead, use Disk cleanup. Sure would appreciate someone guiding me on what NOT to delete so I don`t ruin any options to repair or reset system if needed. I have researched, but am still unsettled on what to check to delete...Thank for any advice...Jim

:)

jaybo, Oct 4, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

disk cleanup

Hi joysoder, to properly and safely delete any files not required by your system, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below. Each time select everything in the list and delete them. Disk Cleanup will not suggest deleting anything that is not safe to delete
    . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Oct 4, 2018
  3. Swetha Sree Win User
    Disk Cleanup after The anniversary update

Hi,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Disk Cleanup. I will certainly help you.

As per your query, I would like to inform you that, it is safe to delete all the files with extension .tmp in the temporary files folder.

I suggest you to try deleting the temporary file manually by the steps provided below and check if it helps:

• Go to Windows key+ R and type
      temp
    • Select all of the files and folders within the Temp folder and delete.

Please follow the below link to run disk cleanup:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-996f-99e02c7301c2/disk-cleanup-in-windows-10

Kindly update us on the issue to assist you further.

Thank You.

Swetha Sree, Oct 4, 2018
  4. stringed0001 Win User

Disk Cleanup

Disk Cleanup fails

I appreciate your suggestion. However, I had hoped for a simple solution which would have fixed Disk Cleanup, not offered a work-around. It's like, my car is running poorly. I explain the problem, then someone suggests, "Just take the bus!"

I will try to use your suggestion, but it doesn't fix the original problem and requires several steps. These could also result in the inadvertent deletion of a wanted
    program rather than unneeded files produced during the use of a desired program. Rather like deleting my browser to get rid of cached sites.

Can anyone explain why Disk Cleanup isn't cleaning up my disk??

stringed0001, Oct 4, 2018
Thema:

Disk Cleanup

1. Disk Cleanup - Similar Threads - Disk Cleanup

2. Disk cleanup from Safe Mode, Windows services won't work Normally

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk cleanup from Safe Mode, Windows services won't work Normally: Hi all I have done what could be one of the stupidest thing . I booted into safe mode in Windows 10 and started system cleanup and cleaned up system files too . And then cancelled the cleanup halfway and rebooted to windows. Since then audio devices are nit working .no...
  3. Disk Cleanup Tool & Storage Sense now offer to clear Downloads folder

in Windows 10 News
    Disk Cleanup Tool & Storage Sense now offer to clear Downloads folder: [ATTACH] Disk Cleanup Tool – The inbuilt tool that comes with Windows had always been used to reclaim space. It used to be handy even during regular usage or after Windows installation to delete those backup files. While the tool is [...] This post Disk Cleanup Tool &...
  4. Disk Cleanup can now wipe your downloads folder in Windows 10 version 1809

in Windows 10 News
    Disk Cleanup can now wipe your downloads folder in Windows 10 version 1809: Microsoft has released Windows 10 October 2018 Update, or the version 1809 – following the Windows 10 April 2018 Update that released back in spring of 2018. Windows 10 October 2018 Update comes with several new features and improvements to freshen up your PC experience....
  5. Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup: Question if I may, Please I have an up-to-date windows-10 home desktop, including new (October) feature update. I have been reading that CCleaner is not recommended any longer. Instead, use Disk cleanup. Sure would appreciate someone guiding me on what NOT to delete so I...
  6. Disk Cleanup is Going Away in Windows 10

Disk Cleanup is Going Away in Windows 10: Microsoft quietly announced that Disk Cleanup is now deprecated, news that was buried at the bottom of a blog post about Windows 10’s Storage Sense. Disk Cleanup isn’t going away immediately but is on its way out the door....
  7. Disk Cleanup is Going Away in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Disk Cleanup is Going Away in Windows 10: Didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Just ran across it from HTG. Microsoft quietly announced that Disk Cleanup is now deprecated, news that was buried at the bottom of a blog post about Windows 10’s Storage Sense. Disk Cleanup isn’t going away immediately but is on its way...
  8. Microsoft is deprecating the legacy Disk cleanup utility in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is deprecating the legacy Disk cleanup utility in Windows 10: Microsoft is on a mission to kill the old legacy tools like Control Panel for streamlining access and modernizing our experience. Microsoft recently announced that the Storage Sense will get better with Windows 10 October 2018 Update and it appears that the company is also...
  9. Another Disk Cleanup not clearing 'Temorary Files' issue post

Another Disk Cleanup not clearing 'Temorary Files' issue post: I have read many posts about Disk Cleanup not clearing Temporary Files and tried the various suggestions how to fix it. My problem is that Disk Cleanup shows that I currently have 70mb of temporary files which is getting larger every time I run Cleanup. It adds 0.1 to the...
  10. Disk Cleanup

Disk Cleanup: When Disk cleanup and, or Win 10 storage clean up is run in Admin or User modes, the Temporary Internet Folders always show 640KB/140MB of temp files remaining after cleanup is complete. I can run the Disk cleanup 1 x 2 x 3 x make no difference. Admin shows 640KB, User 104MB....