Windows 10: disk cloning failed to write bad sector

Discus and support disk cloning failed to write bad sector in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I got a new Samsung 970EVO NVMe M.2 SSD and I have been trying to clone my system over to it. I have used softwares like Macrium Reflect and easeus... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by JosephKwesiga, Nov 18, 2020.

1. disk cloning failed to write bad sector

I got a new Samsung 970EVO NVMe M.2 SSD and I have been trying to clone my system over to it. I have used softwares like Macrium Reflect and easeus but they all end up giving me a "failed to write bad sector"message.
    I have an Asus UX501V Notebook and my installed SSD is a NVMe Samsung MZVP512.

I have tried using chkdsk in admin mode and ran a scan on my drive but it had no issues to report. I am not sure how thorough it is if I keep getting bad sector messages when trying to clone.

I wanted to know if it is possible to identify and fix the bad sectors, otherwise, I do not think my drive will be clonable.

Can you help me?

:)

JosephKwesiga, Nov 18, 2020

2. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, Nov 18, 2020
  3. Bad Sectors

I was working on my roommates rig because his system would lag for a bit then move on.
    Defragging always failed with no reason listed.
    I ran disk check and it failed at 10% on part 4/5.
    I backed up his important files and ran UBCD and disk checked it there and found 1500 errors.
    Best I could figure was bad sectors but what caused them?
    I used @Active KillDrive to low level format the drive to hopefully remove the bad sector issue but will that really solve it?
    The drive does not seem damaged as SMART came back fine.

Killer_Rubber_Ducky, Nov 18, 2020
  4. disk cloning failed to write bad sector

hard disk bad sector repair in Windows 10

Hi Mohqasim,

Before proceeding further, please answer few queries.

1. What is the make, and model of the Computer?

2. What is the complete error message/code you receive?

As per the description, I understand that there could be some bad sector in the hard disk.

Meanwhile, I would suggest you to follow the below steps to run the check disk, and check.

1. Press Windows + X, select Command prompt(Admin).

2. Type the following command, and hit Enter.

chkdsk /r/f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, then chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.

Please let us know if the issue got fixed or you need any further assistance.

Thank you.

Pratiksha Devadiga, Nov 18, 2020
Thema:

disk cloning failed to write bad sector

1. disk cloning failed to write bad sector - Similar Threads - disk cloning failed

2. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  3. Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bad Sectors: Hi, my HDD has bad sectors and my os is just ubuntu , Can I fix them via windows 10 media disk chkdsk without any change my ubuntu system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bad-sectors/aada8c97-4e9c-4afe-b1b3-2c4494039794
  4. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bad sectors: Windows replaced bad clusters in file CD of name windows\System32\LogFiles\WMI GAMING 3. ETL. Windows replaced bad clusters in file 365 of name \PROGRA-2\INCRED-1\Logs\BUILDS-1. LOG....
  5. HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    HDD is about to fail, bad sectors...: So I have a problem with my HDD (Seagate Barracuda 2TB st2000dm008 7200 RPM) that I bought in May 2020, I've been using it since then, and when I checked it's health in HD sentinel and other programs it showed %4 health like on this screen: [ATTACH] I currently have no...
  6. Macrium reflect. Disk cloning. Incompatible sector size

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Macrium reflect. Disk cloning. Incompatible sector size: [ATTACH] Got an SSD as a gift. Now I'm trying to clone my Win10 from my old HDD to the SSD with Macrium Refelect but this happened. Any work around for this? Or any other cloning software I can use? Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks! ^^...
  7. Bad sectors

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Bad sectors: Hi I was just wondering if there were bad sectors on a hard drive, would replacing it help because ive tried checking disk and scanning it and tried to fix it with command prompt but it doesnt seem to work....
  8. 4k to 92k in bad sectors & cloning drive

4k to 92k in bad sectors & cloning drive: I was cleaning up one of my systems & uninstalled Roxio Creator 2012 & Divx as I not need it & after uninstall my system became slow & bad response & did a chkdsk & says found orphaned file etc. & did a chkdsk /f & restarted & fixed problem but when i did a chkdsk again it...
  9. Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Sector by Sector Clone factory disk with Secure boot enabled: On a new HP laptop Windows 10 and UEFI with Secure Boot I cloned the 5500rpm disk to an SSD before starting the machine for the first time. Windows 10 boots and works fine so I know the OS and TPM have the correct information or the system would not boot. However the HP...
  10. Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.

Hard Disk Warning - Reallocated Bad Sectors.: May I get an interpretation, please? I am running HD Tune on my external drive. The health report show that I have 26 damaged sectors. That seems low, yet still unwelcome. It's a remarkable old Seagate Free Agent - a refurbished replacement as part of my original warranty...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. failed to write sector clone