Windows 10: Disk Cloning Nightmare

Discus and support Disk Cloning Nightmare in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I just got a new 1TB SSD so I can replace my absolutely terrible 1TB HDD. Completely starting over on a fresh install of Windows is kind of my last... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/andrewcramer1, Dec 26, 2020.

1. Disk Cloning Nightmare

I just got a new 1TB SSD so I can replace my absolutely terrible 1TB HDD. Completely starting over on a fresh install of Windows is kind of my last resort, so I’ve been trying to clone everything over. However, because my HDD is 3-4 years old and has done more than enough of its service for me, there are many bad sectors and a lot of free cloning software will not clone my disk because of that. It got to the point where I bought EaseUs Disk Copy so I can clone my disk sector by sector. After it ran for a bit it made me reboot to continue the cloning process and it booted to just a blue screen (not the error blue screen, but the deep blue as if you were installing Windows again) and the EaseUs Disk Copy, so it could clone sector by sector. I let this run for about 5 hours and went to bed thinking it will be finished in the morning. I just woke up to the same exact screen, but everything is completely frozen, the elapsed time of the clone has stopped, and any time my cursor is on EaseUs I have a bracket cursor and cannot click on anything or even close the application. I really need some help with this because I am absolutely clueless of where to go from here.

submitted by /u/andrewcramer1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/andrewcramer1, Dec 26, 2020

2. Cloning a Hard Disk

Hi Dav,

Cloning a hard drive is way of transferring data from one hard disk to another drive to make the destination disk contain exactly the same data. You may also find additional information in this
    article.

For an in-depth assistance on how to proceed with the process, we suggest that you post your query/concern on the
    TechNet forum. This forum is a
    community that is mainly composed of IT professionals who can cater to the complexity of your concern.

Regards.

Michael Gall, Dec 26, 2020
  3. Compumind Win User
    Compumind, Dec 26, 2020
  4. cadaveca Win User

Disk Cloning Nightmare

Moving to SSD. Clone or not to clone?

I kinda agree with you, but on a wholr, do not. While I have done things a bit differently than this specific situation, by installing Windows directly to the SSD, and cloning after, my testing shows that there are no issues doing this, very little that can go wrong, provided your system is stable.

There are certain features that must be disabled in this situation, like auto defrag and such, but even with a fresh install to the SSD, you need to take steps to ensure that you SSD performs properly, regardless of how the data got there.

Arming yourself with a bit of knowledge can go a long way.

Installing the latest chipset driver, and the RST Tools, will ensure optimal performance of the SSD. but rather than taking my advice, I suggest the OP takes a look here:

http://blogs.dirteam.com/blogs/sand...7-and-ssds-to-clone-windows-or-reinstall.aspx

Installing The SSD - Install A Solid State Drive In Your Notebook | Tom's Hardware

Keep in mind, also, Digibucc, that many retail drives include software and such that very specifically is to be used to ttranser the OS from an existing mechanical drive to an SSD, and if there really was alot fo issues stemming from the cloning process, they would not have packages like that, simply to eliminate tech support costs. While not the optimal option, cloning is NOT a bad thing, as long as you take the nessecary steps.

cadaveca, Dec 26, 2020
Thema:

Disk Cloning Nightmare

1. Disk Cloning Nightmare - Similar Threads - Disk Cloning Nightmare

2. Disk cloning and backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning and backup: I have a Windows 10 PC with a 250 gb SSD. I also have an external 250 SSD. Is there software that will allow me to clone the internal drive to the external for disaster recovery and then have all future disk writes go to both drives so that they are always identical?...
  3. Disk cloning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cloning: I have an SSD128gb drive that is almost full and ordered 1tb SDD. I also have a 2nd HDD 1tb drive in the pc and although I haven't used Disk Cloning I am attempting to clone the 128gb SSD onto the HDDin pc and when I receive the new 1tb SDD I am thinking to clone from the...
  4. Nightmare

in Windows 10 Customization
    Nightmare: My Settings is not working it opens blank, my Windows Update has disappeared and all my update history is gone. Any devices connected t my USB are not recognised. I rarely use my laptop but on opening yesterday, its been hell. I have no idea what else to do other than throw...
  5. Disk Image/Clone

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Image/Clone: Hello, I am looking for an easy to use disk image / Clone software. I deploy about 2-3 systems per week, all which have the same configuration. FileMaker, HyperTerminal, MS Office, printer drivers and a few other apps. Does anyone have any recommendations for a software...
  6. Disk cloning

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk cloning: How to transfer information from Computer 1 to Computer 2? My understanding how to do this is outlined as follows but I am not entirely sure this process would work. Existing Computer 1: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit; have USB flash drive 1 with Windows 10 installation media...
  7. Macrium and Linux Disks cloning

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium and Linux Disks cloning: Hi folks just in case some people don't realize it but it's 100% possible to clone Linux formatted HDD's / SSD'swith Macrium (from within Windows too --you don't need o use rthe stand alone program). Ensure though when you attach the Linux drives / SSD's you ignore Windows...
  8. System Disk Image/Clone

System Disk Image/Clone: There's been some discussion on this in another thread & having previously not been too successful in the past, I'd like to seek some advice. When a disk is cloned it makes an identical copy to another HD; the idea being that if the one in use fails, then the cloned HD can...
  9. If you clone a disk with no errors

If you clone a disk with no errors: If you clone a disk with no errors. And you buy a better computer faster hard drive etc. Would that actually make the size of the new disk you cloned go at the same speed as your old one? Is cloning just for moving it onto Windows 11 for example. 83150
  10. Cloned Disk will not boot !!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cloned Disk will not boot !!: Hi everyone I have been given two brand new SATA 2TB disks. One I have used in a hard disk dock - and have used this for additional data back up etc. Works OK The other I decided to use to replace my noisy C Drive. I cloned the disk to the new one, only to find that the...