Windows 10: Disk Compression - do I have it? Do I want it?

Discus and support Disk Compression - do I have it? Do I want it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Yesterday I tried to upgrade W10, but it wouldn't load. A MS tech did a lot of things, including turning disk compression on. My disk is only 20%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Toller, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Toller Win User

Disk Compression - do I have it? Do I want it?

Yesterday I tried to upgrade W10, but it wouldn't load. A MS tech did a lot of things, including turning disk compression on.
    My disk is only 20% full; I sure don't need compression.
    So, my questions...
    1) Do I want compression
    2) If I don't, can I safely turn it off?
    3) I can't even find it, is it even in the current version? He did it as part of a disk cleanup, but the box is not there now. (either the feature is gone, or it can't be turned off)

Thanks

:)

Toller, Oct 14, 2016

2. it says i need an email program? were do i get it from?

it tells me there is an email program needed that i dont have. were do i get it from

what do i do,,,, Oct 14, 2016
  3. grschinon Win User
    i want to have Hebrew on my new N96 - how do I do this?

Whoa there...

To start with, nobody from Nokia will read your message. I am not a Nokia member of staff either, I'm just a user of Nokia products like you.

Secondly, are you sure it was Nokia Israel who called you to present the N96? I doubt it because Nokia doesn't do that. I reckon it was a third party presenting themselves as a "Nokia representative" trying to sell you the N96. Furthermore, if you just told
    us that Nokia hasn't yet exported the N96 to Israel, why would they be calling you trying to sell you one?

Nokia phones come with the languages used in the part of the world where they are meant to be sold. For example, the Nordic version has English, Finnish, Danish, Swedish and Norwegian. The EURO1 variant has English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and
    Portuguese. If the phone you have was intended for sale in Israel it would have had Hebrew on it to start with. The fact that it doesn't have Hebrew on it indicates that it was
    not intended for sale in Israel, which is yet another indication that it is
    not Nokia Israel who sold it to you.

Your gripe is with whoever sold you the phone, not with Nokia and definitely not with me.

grschinon, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Disk Compression - do I have it? Do I want it?

TairikuOkami, Oct 14, 2016
  5. Toller Win User
    It says it is not compressed because Windows determined it wasn't necessary. Thank for your help.

Toller, Oct 14, 2016
  6. Samuria Win User
    It goes back to msdos days and win95 with drive space its interesting as not only does it save space it can often speed the system up loading software the speed is often controlled by how long to load it from disk with compression its a lot faster as you only load half the size decompressing in ram can be done very fast. If you have a fast ssd drive you wouldnt gain much speed but on a laptop with slow drive it can make a difference

Samuria, Oct 14, 2016
  7. eLPuSHeR Win User
    Disk Compression (compact) is only necessary when you are running out space. The reason is simple. You will recover some free space but you will always incur in a noticeable performance hit.

eLPuSHeR, Oct 14, 2016
  8. cereberus Win User

Hold on - there is a BIG difference between disk compression and OS compression.

The compactos command compresses the OS but not data. This is a relatively safe option and reversible.

Compressing the disk COMPRESSES everything. It is like turning disk into a giant zip file. I strongly recommend you do not do this because if OS glitches, it might be difficult to transfer data to a new drive.

cereberus, Oct 14, 2016
  9. Toller Win User
    Which is part of "disk cleanup" and why don't I have that as an option now? So confusing.

Toller, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk Compression - do I have it? Do I want it? - Similar Threads - Disk Compression

2. Disk compression

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk compression: I'm using Windows 10 with a remote USB Seagate SSD drive that is password protected. My disk filled up. I used the compression feature in Windows to make space. My PC is a laptop. My disk is 1 TB. Evidently the compression feature automatically, file by file compresses them...
  3. Disk compression

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk compression: I'm using Windows 10 with a remote USB Seagate SSD drive that is password protected. My disk filled up. I used the compression feature in Windows to make space. My PC is a laptop. My disk is 1 TB. Evidently the compression feature automatically, file by file compresses them...
  4. Disk compression

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Compressed (zipped) folders, Please insert the last disk of the multi-volume set

in Windows 10 News
    Compressed (zipped) folders, Please insert the last disk of the multi-volume set: [ATTACH]USB drives have made it possible for users to manage and store data effectively. They have evolved to a point where they have become bootable devices. But USB drives also come with complications, leading to errors sometimes when connected to the computer. What causes...
  6. Fix System and Compressed Memory High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on Windows 11/10

in Windows 10 News
    Fix System and Compressed Memory High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on Windows 11/10: [ATTACH]Some people are noticing that the System and Compressed Memory process shows High CPU, Ram, Disk Usage on their Windows 11/10 systems. In this tutorial, we have a few solutions that can help fix the issue. What is System and Compressed Memory process? System and...
  7. NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    NTFS disk compression, bizarre behavior: Hello. I am a newbie here (Windows 10 Build 18363). Thanks for having me. I used to repair software and hardware issues in a Windows environment, so I am tech savvy. I have several disks, including two SSDs. Recently, I noticed my primary SSD was filling up. Every day....
  8. Learn about disk compression and how it can slow down your system!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Learn about disk compression and how it can slow down your system!: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kipinsider [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8ze2f/learn_about_disk_compression_and_how_it_can_slow/
  9. Do "Compress this drive to save disk space" affect in-game frame rate?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do "Compress this drive to save disk space" affect in-game frame rate?: Do "Compress this drive to save disk space" (RightClick on a drive -> Properties) affect in-game frame rate? submitted by /u/iTz0nlyDoge [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jr0e8j/do_compress_this_drive_to_save_disk_space_affect/
  10. Should I compress My local disk C in win10?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Should I compress My local disk C in win10?: My local disk C is only 20 GB free because of this my laptop is working very slow. I have deleted all unwanted apps and also used disk cleanup to clean disk and I not want to delete my windows updates. So, please tell it's right to compress my local drive C?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. i do nt want disck compression

2. compact /compactos:query