Windows 10: Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD

Discus and support Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have been trying to install windows on my new SSD Crucial BX500 240GB. Its giving an error saying - : Windows cannot be installed on this disk.This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MetalBoi, Nov 3, 2020.

1. MetalBoi Win User

Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD

I have been trying to install windows on my new SSD Crucial BX500 240GB. Its giving an error saying - :

Windows cannot be installed on this disk.This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk .Ensure that disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

I am using a MSI B450M with Ryzen 5 3400G

Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD b2a8a462-9066-4c61-849f-7ec61c0b583f?upload=true.png

Sorry for bad quality.

:)

MetalBoi, Nov 3, 2020
  2. Neophile Win User

Windows cannot be installed on this disk... Ensure disk's controller..

My OS had too many issues since I upgraded fromWin 7, installing Win 10 on top. So I decided to Clean the disk, format it and make a fresh installation. Before installing I turned the PC off and disconnected the other disks (please refer to my system, a bit oldish and home assembled) I wanted to install it on a SATA disk. The computer didn't start anymore. The keyboard diodes flickered once a little after pressing the start button (as they usually do), but nothing else happened, not even the fans worked. I thought It should have a CMOS BIOS problem, so I removed the battery for one minute to reset, put it back and it started as usually.

I started the computer from the OS install flash made with the Microsoft flash installer as downloaded and created from Microsoft. When I got to choose where to install Windows, there was an error message:

Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting on this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS.

I restarted the PC, reconnecting the other discs and restarted the PC with the install flash. Then I noticed that both SATA discs had the same error message, but not the ATA ones, connected through a RAID adapter. I tried other things, but nothing changed, like using a Win 7 install flash previously used to install Win 7 a few times, but got exactly the same result. After this, I searched the internet for three days to find a solution, found many posts, but none of the solutions (when there was one) worked for me.

Then I opened the BIOS again and changed the SATA disks controller configuration from AHCI (as it had always been) to ATA and restarted with the Win 10 install flash. Miracle! No more error massages. I disconnected the other disks again and installed Win 10 without any problem. After installing and checking it was OK I restarted changing the BIOS SATA controller to its original position (AHCI), but got an error at start booting with this line: \windows\system32\winload.exe. I restarted again changing the SATA controller on BIOS to ATA for the SATA configuration at the beginning. OK again. While the config is on AHCI the BIOS do not even see the SATA discs.

This is a condensed description. I believe the problem is with the BIOS. I now need to know:

• Why are the BIOS no recognizing SATA disks with their normal setting as AHCI?
    • How can I restore the right configuration for the SATA disks and have the BIOS recognising them?
    • What issues can this wrong setting rise?
    • What happens if I live it as is?

Thank you for any ideas or suggestions.

Neophile, Nov 3, 2020
  3. Derek12 Win User
    USB flash disk error.

Hi.
    Hmm happens only with that disk, with the rest none errors so I don't think it's a USB Controller fault. I have the lñatest drivers installed...
    Many thanks

Derek12, Nov 3, 2020
  4. NGeo Win User

The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

Hey Dj Urko, I am trying to install the realtek driver and I get the error 0x0001. I have disabled secure boot and Driver signature. I have the latest win 10 build. What am I doing wrong? Can u post the complete list of steps that I have to take? I have an asus z170 with alc1150.
    Thanks in advance

NGeo, Nov 3, 2020
Thema:

1. Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD - Similar Threads - Disk Controller Error

2. SSD replacement and clean install win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD replacement and clean install win 10: I am replacing my primary SSD as it's failed, when I come to reinstall windows 10 which was preinstalled when i bought the laptop new onto the new SSD, will the machine recognise it is authorised to reinstall it as of course I was given no product key or does the broken SSD...
  3. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD: I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the...
  4. Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 Instalation due to corrupt SSD: I bought Win 10 Pro in 2018 and I cannot find the original email with the activation key. I installed a SSD 3 moths ago but it seems to be corrupt as Win 10 auto starting all the time, so I need to reinstall Win 10 pro onto the SSD. Will I be able to do this without the...
  5. Win 10 clean install on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 clean install on SSD: I’m trying to install Win 10 Pro on a new SSD. I’m using a bootable USB created with the latest Rufus utility. I’ve gotten to several places in the install screen the everything goes black. So far, as far as the windows repair facility then stalled because it says I’m not an...
  6. Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installation of Windows 10 with SSD and HDD disks: I'm confused with all this partitions and i want to know how to delete all partitions if i have an ssd and hdd submitted by /u/thanos997 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i8wgs4/installation_of_windows_10_with_ssd_and_hdd_disks/
  7. laptop ssd disk error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    laptop ssd disk error: I am having a problem with my ssd, it keeps on disk checking every startup but it doesn't seem to fix the problem itself. I know this because every time the scanning and fixing phase is done I immediately go to cmd and run a disk check but it always outputs the ff: - The...
  8. How to Install Win 10 x64, Retail on SSD Disk

How to Install Win 10 x64, Retail on SSD Disk: I have Win 10 x64 Retail installed on my hard drive and I want to install it on SSD disk. I have Windows 10 as an iso file that I downloaded from a Microsoft site. How can I do this? And would there be any problems with the installation? Thank you for your help. Best...
  9. SSD disk space required for Win 10 OS with programs installed

SSD disk space required for Win 10 OS with programs installed: My SSD is 256GB with 2 partitions. One for the OS (50GB) the other for data (188GB). My OS installation with programs installed takes up 30GB (w/recycle bin, 4GB page, no hibernate). Is this sufficient or do I need to expand the OS partition? Thanks! 142305
  10. Win 10 to SSD No free install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 to SSD No free install: Hello, I am running an unauthorized version of Win 7 64 in my PC. I have two sata hard drives using Casper to clone. I am buying a Samsung 2.5-Inch 500 GB 850 EVO Solid State Drive. I want to buy Windows Ten and install it, and most of my Apps on the SSD, keeping everything...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 installation disk controller error

2. Disk Controller Error on installing Win 10 on SSD

3. Windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting on this disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers BIOS.