Windows 10: Disk defragment is stuck

Discus and support Disk defragment is stuck in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello!So I have seen that the C drive is 10% fragmented so I decided to do a defragment.The disk defragment have been running for 8 hours and now it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RED.SG, Apr 4, 2020.

1. RED.SG Win User

Disk defragment is stuck

Hello!So I have seen that the C drive is 10% fragmented so I decided to do a defragment.The disk defragment have been running for 8 hours and now it got stuck at Pass 7:0% consolidated. It's stuck at this pass for like 30-40 minutes.Should I wait or should I stop de defragment? Is it normal to run that many hours?I didn't used the computer since I started the defragment.

Thanks!

:)

RED.SG, Apr 4, 2020
  2. GeoffBott Win User

Disk defrag stops at 1%

Hi Dennis

Many thanks for your reply. I have tried to do as you suggest, but there doesn't appear to be an Applog file under C:/Windows. Not sure whether I have looked correctly - I ticked the Hidden items option on the right hand side of the view ribbon.

One further point, the Disk Defragmenter tool does not actually get stuck or stop responding - it completes its sequence but shows that the C drive is still 1% fragmented. Before the updates, it always showed 0% defragmented.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Geoff

GeoffBott, Apr 4, 2020
  3. disk defragmenting

Sign in to your Windows 10 computer with an administrator account. It is important to use an administrator account because standard account holders cannot defrag the hard disk drive.

Click the Start button.

From the left pane of the Start menu, click File Explorer.

On the opened window, from the navigation pane in the left, expand the This PC tree.

From the expanded list, right-click Local Disk (C: ) or any other partition on which Windows 10 is installed.

From the context menu, click Properties.

On the opened Local Disk (C: ) Properties box, go to the Tools tab.

From the displayed interface, under the Optimize and defragment drive section, click the Optimize button.

On the Optimize Drives box, from the displayed list, ensure that the system drive (C: in this example) is selected.

Click the Analyze button from below the list.

Wait until Windows completes the analysis and displays the percentage of the fragmented files in the selected drive.

Note: If there are no fragmented files in the drive, Windows displays a message box stating that the disk does not need to be defragmented.

After Windows completes the analysis, click the Optimize button to start the defragmentation process on the selected volume.

Wait until Windows defragments the drive successfully, restart the PC, and start using Windows 10 normally.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 4, 2020
  4. Disk defragment is stuck

hard disk D won't defragment

Hi,

File corruption is one of the reasons why you are having challenges defragmenting your hard disk. Before we proceed, we need you to answer the following questions:

• Are you defragmenting an internal drive or an external drive?
    • Are you using the Windows defragmenter to defrag your hard disk, or is it a third party software?

In the meantime, you can run the System File Checker tool. This will helps use scan and restore corrupted files. Here’s an
    article that will walk you through the steps on how to run the System
    File Checker tool, how to view details of the System File Checker process, and how to manually replace corrupted system files.

We will be waiting for your response.

Kristine Arp, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

Disk defragment is stuck

1. Disk defragment is stuck - Similar Threads - Disk defragment stuck

2. Check Disk and Defrag

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check Disk and Defrag: I am running Windows 10 on an older hard drive. Is defrag and chkdisk still a thing? Does it still need to be done to improve performance? Any other tips for improving performance?Thanks,Carol...
  3. Disk Defrag Parameters.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Defrag Parameters.: Good evening, Code: C:\Windows\system32>defrag.exe /? Microsoft Drive Optimizer Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp. Description: Optimizes and defragments files on local volumes to improve system performance. Syntax: defrag <volumes> | /C | /E <volumes> [<task(s)>] [/H] [/M [n] |...
  4. Disk and defrag problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk and defrag problem: My hard disk response time and usage so high i tried cmd like scannow even did reset whole pc windows again but didnt fix https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-and-defrag-problem/82db8693-2e98-46cb-9aa6-5d347f4e65dc
  5. Disk Cleaner stuck on Pass 1: defragmented 0%

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Cleaner stuck on Pass 1: defragmented 0%: [ATTACH] Not sure why it is stuck on this. Been like this for about 30 mins now. https://preview.redd.it/2npks2qzyxp51.png?width=485&format=png&auto=webp&s=878ee5503c8794c7acefa713ab6cc8922db46f7b submitted by /u/Ziluth [link] [comments]...
  6. Disk Defrag Slow

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Defrag Slow: I'm trying to defrag an external 4TB HDD. It's been a couple hours and I'm at Pass1: 1%. Now, I know 4TB is a lot, but at this rate it will take all week to get through pass 1. Maybe it won't be linear or defragging is just really hard work for some reason, so I check my...
  7. auslogics disk defrag

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    auslogics disk defrag: so as most of you probably know, its not really a good idea to defrag your ssd, but auslogics offers an option to defrag your ssd with some algorithms they made to optimize your ssd. what do you guys opinion about this, has anyone tested it and if so, what were your results?...
  8. Help with disk defrag

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with disk defrag: Hello! Having issues with very slow, very loud, very hot Dell laptop. Tried to disk defrag multiple times, restarted multiple times, every time it just keeps saying Hard disk is 28% fragmented. Any thoughts? I'm just trying to run Mtg Arena, which from my understanding is not...
  9. defrag disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    defrag disk: How do I run the disk defrag program? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/defrag-disk/b78f7054-39ca-4eae-824e-6be83cdfd2c4
  10. Defrag Disk Not Available

in Windows 10 Customization
    Defrag Disk Not Available: Hello all, I need some quick and urgent help about this application. I keep getting the following error when I try to start up my Defrag Disk app: [ATTACH] I don't understand why this happened, so I went did the following: 1) Windows + R 2) Typed services.msc 3) Hit...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. defragment stuck at 0

2. www.windowsphoneinfo.com

3. Defrag stuck at 0% consolidated Windows 10

4. my computer is stuck on 1% consolidated when defragmenting windows 10,
  5. win 10 defrag stuck at 10%,
  6. stop consolidation defragment,
  7. stuck at 3% consolidated,
  8. 0 consolidated windows 10,
  9. optimizing drivers 0% consolidated,
  10. Pass 8 0% consolidated,
  11. defrag stuck stuck 42 per cent ,