Windows 10: Disk designations (C, D, etc.

Discus and support Disk designations (C, D, etc. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I just cloned my original 2 TB data only disk to a 6 TB disk data only disk. However, the disk designation went from "D:" to "H:". Is there a way to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Will Franger, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Disk designations (C, D, etc.

I just cloned my original 2 TB data only disk to a 6 TB disk data only disk. However, the disk designation went from "D:" to "H:". Is there a way to reidentify it as "D:"?

:)

Will Franger, Mar 11, 2019

2. how to merge c drive and d drive

It depends on a couple things.

If you have two separate physical C and D drives, you can't merge them.

If the D drive is a partition (not a drive) and its to the right of C:\ in Disk Management, you can right click C:\ then click Extend.

Press Windows key + X

Click Disk Management

Take a screenshot then post in a reply here.

If the layout is similar to how I described it, try the following. Make sure important data is backed up if there is any.

Select the D:\ partition

Right click the ‘D:\’ in Disk Management, on the contextual menu, click the ‘Delete Volume’ option. Click ‘Yes’ when the warning dialog appears.

The Volume you deleted will now appear as ‘Free space’, you will also notice that the disk icon no longer appears in the list of volumes.

Right click the Free space partition, and click Delete, click Yes on the Disk Management warning that appears.

The volume will now appear as Unallocated. Our next step is to merge back that unallocated free space with the system partition (C:\). Right click the System volume and click the ‘Extend Volume’ option on the contextual menu, click ‘Yes’ when the warning appears.

A wizard will now begin that will guide through the steps to merge back the unallocated space with your system partition.

The wizard provides a simple procedure to merge back the unallocated space with the system drive. Once you have selected the space, click Next, at the end of the wizard, you will see the amount allocated.

Andre for Directly, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Hard Drive Disks D: and E: suddenly dissapeared!

Ok i tried all the steps to this but neither disk D: or E: appeared. Only C: is still there. Thanks though.

Max203_727, Mar 11, 2019
  4. SoiIonic Win User

Disk designations (C, D, etc.

Problems with Disk saving files! I changed saving to Disk D but it still saves stuff in Disk C.

I really need help right now. So I recently bought a pc. It has Disk C ( with 118 GB ) and Disk D (with 981 GB) the problem is... I want everything to be saved on Disk D by default and not on Disk C but that hasn't been working until now. I went to settings
    and changed the storage location but it's still saving on Disk C and not D, what happens is... The Disk C gets full and I can't change things to Disk D if I change anything ( example: a game ) there'll be 2 of the same things in Disk C and D and if I try to
    delete the one in Disk C I won't be able to open because it says it doesn't exist anymore. What can I do to change the downloads to Disk D only.

SoiIonic, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

Disk designations (C, D, etc.

1. Disk designations (C, D, etc. - Similar Threads - Disk designations etc

2. windows transfer from disk D: to C:

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows transfer from disk D: to C:: I noticed that I have windows on disk C and Dwhen I tried to boot windows from C it didn't work, my guess is that I run windows on disk Dhow can I transfer windows from D to C without data loss or any other problems...
  3. Want to combine disk C and D

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Want to combine disk C and D: I have a solid state drive and there is C and D drive on Disk 1. D is unallocated but when try to Expand Volume of C, the Extend Volume prompt is greyed out. I did what all the instructions stated. I deleted D and it became unallocated, but now it won't combine! I need help,...
  4. Want to combine disk C and D

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Want to combine disk C and D: I have a solid state drive and there is C and D drive on Disk 1. D is unallocated but when try to Expand Volume of C, the Extend Volume prompt is greyed out. I did what all the instructions stated. I deleted D and it became unallocated, but now it won't combine! I need help,...
  5. Want to combine disk C and D

6. C: and D: drive/Disk management

C: and D: drive/Disk management: Hi, I am having problems with my C: and D: drives. I know little about computers, and I've been trying to solve this on my own for 2 days now. I want to merge C: drive 222 GB using D: drive 1.81 TB, but the problem is that C: is on Disk 1 while D: is on Disk 0. I don't think...
  7. Merging Local Disk C and D.

Merging Local Disk C and D.: Dear Whoever is reading this, I Bought a WD Blue 500GB hard drive. I have two local disks, C and D. Whenever I download something it instantly downloads to C, which is the one with less storage. IF by any chance anyone knows how to merge both of the disks that would be...
  8. merging disk partitions C and D

merging disk partitions C and D: I have my hard drive partitioned into C and D. C is full and I want to merge them. Disk 0 has OS C:. There is something stuck in between Disk 0, 520MB Healthy recovery, passive, then Disk 1 Basic Unallocated. I cannot figure out how to get that recovery, passive bit out of...
  9. C: Disk and D: Disk

C: Disk and D: Disk: I recently got a new computer running on Windows 10 which is awesome but there is something I wanna change and I don't know how. So, my problem is the download and save paths with the quick access folders. Downloads was set on default to save to the C: Drive, so I went into...
  10. Unable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Access Local Disks (C:) and (D:): I am currently unable to access my Local Disks, or open programs inside them, such as the task manager, user account control, and even the registry editor. Attempting to open anything (With administrator priveleges) just result in an access denied message. I have tried...