Windows 10: Disk Filter Stuck on Recursive Hard Page fault

Discus and support Disk Filter Stuck on Recursive Hard Page fault in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Experts , I am currently facing an scalability issue in my disk filterdriver for encryption . I am seeing all my read completion threads is stuck... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NirajJha2, Jul 8, 2019.

1. NirajJha2 Win User

Disk Filter Stuck on Recursive Hard Page fault

Hi Experts ,

I am currently facing an scalability issue in my disk filterdriver for encryption . I am seeing all my read completion threads is stuck when there is recursive Hard pagefault when the system is heavily loaded .As I understand in recent window memory compression , now instead of page its is the Store which is getting written in pagefile.sys in compressed format and it get decompressed on its read .

what could be the easy way to avoid such recursion . I have increased the number of thread to handle Read Completion for scalable test like Initially 10 threads and all stuck with same call-stack and on the count of 20 it never stuck .

will this be an only solution ?

Below is the call stack of all of my stuck thread

nt!KiSwapContext+0x76

nt!KiSwapThread+0x297

nt!KiCommitThreadWait+0x549

nt!KeWaitForSingleObject+0x520

nt!MiWaitForInPageComplete+0xcd

nt!MiIssueHardFault+0x1ad

nt!MmAccessFault+0x3ed

nt!KiPageFault+0x343

nt!RtlDecompressBufferXpressLz+0x40

nt!RtlDecompressBufferEx+0x60

nt!ST_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::StDmSinglePageCopy+0x146

nt!ST_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::StDmSinglePageTransfer+0xa0

nt!ST_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::StDmpSinglePageRetrieve+0x186

nt!ST_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::StDmPageRetrieve+0xc1

nt!SMKM_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::SmStDirectReadIssue+0x85

nt!SMKM_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::SmStDirectReadCallout+0x21

nt!KeExpandKernelStackAndCalloutInternal+0x78

nt!SMKM_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::SmStDirectRead+0xad

nt!SMKM_STORE<SM_TRAITS>::SmStWorkItemQueue+0x1b4

nt!SMKM_STORE_MGR<SM_TRAITS>::SmIoCtxQueueWork+0xce

nt!SMKM_STORE_MGR<SM_TRAITS>::SmPageRead+0x168

nt!SmPageRead+0x2e

nt!MiIssueHardFaultIo+0x11f

nt!MiIssueHardFault+0x3ed

nt!MmAccessFault+0x3ed

nt!KiPageFault+0x343

nt!RtlDecompressBufferXpressHuff+0x19c

nt!RtlDecompressBufferEx+0x60

Wof!FileProvDecompressChunks+0x27f

Wof!FileProvReadCompressedOnNewStackExtendedCompletion+0x237

Wof!FileProvReadCompressedCompletionWorker+0x16e

Wof!FileProvReadCompressedCompletion+0x101

FLTMGR!FltpPassThroughCompletionWorker+0x3c2

FLTMGR!FltpPassThroughCompletion+0xc

nt!IovpLocalCompletionRoutine+0x174

nt!IopfCompleteRequest+0x1cd

nt!IovCompleteRequest+0x1bd

nt!IofCompleteRequest+0x17e28b

VerifierExt!IofCompleteRequest_wrapper+0x2e

nt!VerifierIofCompleteRequest+0x10

DiskEncFltr!driverThreadReadCompletion+0x7a

nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x55

nt!KiStartSystemThread+0x1c

If I looked the fileobject for this read , it is pagefile.sys and the IRP with thread is also pointing same . so i believe this is a kind of recursive hard pagefault and all my completion thread get stuck one by one.

I need help to get answer of some questions

1. What could be an maximum size for such store .
    2. Is this read is splitted .
    3. I have skipped the queuing and perform the encryption/ decryption in same thread and it worked fine on every scale. So Can completion routine be implemented in < Dispatch_level considering the CPU power is available . As per MSDN the read completion should be designed to work like DISPATCH , but i an not seeing any restriction to be follow the dispatch level .

Need your suggestions .

Thanks
    Niraj Jha

:)

NirajJha2, Jul 8, 2019

2. Getting Page Fault in Non Paged area error on Windows 10

Hello Henrie,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

We're sorry to hear the inconvenience you have experienced. Let us know few thing to analyze the issue.

Since when this started to happen?

Did you made any changes to your PC?

Did you notice what are all applications running on desktop when this happens?

The PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA bug check indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced. This Stop message occurs when requested data is not found in memory. The system generates a fault, which normally indicates that the system
    looks for data in the paging file. In this circumstance, however, the missing data is identified as being located within an area of memory that cannot be paged out to disk. The system faults, but cannot find, the data and is unable to recover. Faulty hardware,
    a buggy system service, antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

The cause for this issue might be any of the below:

• Faulty hardware
    • Faulty system service
    • Antivirus software
    • Corrupted NTFS volume
    If you have made any recent changes like installing applications or updating drivers, then suggest you to undo those changes to see if it makes any difference. Suggest you to clear temporary files by following the below steps.

• Open the Start menu and select Settings >
      System > Storage

• Under Storage, select This PC > Temporary files.

• Under Temporary files, select Delete temporary files >
      Yes, I'm sure

Defragment your hard disk:

• Open Disk Defragmenter
      by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Disk Defragmenter, and then, in the list of results, click
      Disk Defragmenter.

• Under Current status, select the system disk you want to defragment.

• To determine if the disk needs to be defragmented or not, click
      Analyze disk. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Once Windows is finished analyzing the disk, you can check the percentage of fragmentation on the disk in the
      Last Run column. If the number is above 10%, you should defragment the disk.

• Click Defragment disk. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Disk Defragmenter might take from several minutes to a few hours to finish, depending on the size and degree of fragmentation of your hard disk. You can still use your computer during the defragmentation
    process.

Also check with the system disk for any errors. Right click on the C: drive and select Properties. Go to
    Tools tab, and click Check. Continue with the on-screen instructions to complete the procedure.

Keep us posted if you require further assistance.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, Jul 8, 2019
  3. External Hard disk contents are not visible.

Hi Pranoti,

For us to narrow down your concern with your external hard disk, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g., updates, software installation)?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Do you hear any clicking sound when connecting your hard disk?

In the meantime, we suggest that you update all your device driver.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Jul 8, 2019
  4. Naresh_K Win User

Hard disk partition not showing up.

Hi Muhammad,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

This can happen if the Hard-disk drivers are not up-to date. I would suggest you to update the hard disk drivers first. To update the drivers, please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Device manager.
    2. Then Expand “Disk drives”.
    3. Then Right click on the Hard-disk listed under this category.
    4. Then click on Update drivers.
    5. Alternatively you can also try to update the drivers from manufacturer’s website.

Once the hard-disk drivers are updated, you will need to allocate the last partition (it is not allocated according to the screenshot) and you will be able to view the partition.

Also note that sometimes the hard disk partitions/drives might be hidden in This PC or My Computer window due to a Registry key. If a DWORD with the name NoViewOnDrive or NoDrives is present under following key in Registry Editor:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Policies\Explorer

Delete the DWORD and your drives will become visible in My Computer window.

Hope this helps.

Naresh_K, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

1. Disk Filter Stuck on Recursive Hard Page fault - Similar Threads - Disk Filter Stuck

2. BSOD Page Fault

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Page Fault: Hi support,I have been getting a regular BSOD Page fault for a month now. I have updated NVIDIA drivers , AMD chipset drivers and removed things that were installed just before the fault started happening. I have done memory checks and error checking with no faults apparent....
  3. BSOD Page Fault

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Page Fault: Hi support,I have been getting a regular BSOD Page fault for a month now. I have updated NVIDIA drivers , AMD chipset drivers and removed things that were installed just before the fault started happening. I have done memory checks and error checking with no faults apparent....
  4. BSOD Page Fault

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Computer Stuck in Bluescreen Loop - Page Fault in Non-paged Area

Computer Stuck in Bluescreen Loop - Page Fault in Non-paged Area: My computer crashed to a bluescreen earlier today, with the error Page Fault in Nonpaged Area. When it restarted, it crashed again before it even reached the desktop, and now it's stuck in an endless loop. Every time I start the PC, it crashes before, or within a few seconds...
  6. Computer Stuck in Bluescreen Loop - Page Fault in Non-paged Area

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer Stuck in Bluescreen Loop - Page Fault in Non-paged Area: My computer crashed to a bluescreen earlier today, with the error Page Fault in Nonpaged Area. When it restarted, it crashed again before it even reached the desktop, and now it's stuck in an endless loop. Every time I start the PC, it crashes before, or within a few seconds...
  7. Computer Stuck in Bluescreen Loop - Page Fault in Non-paged Area

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Page Fault

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Page Fault: Crash Dump AnalysisCrash dumps are enabled on your computer. This system is not configured for complete or automatic crash dumps. For best results, configure your system to write out complete or automatic crash dumps. Select Tools->Crash Dump Configuration from the main menu...
  9. page fault in non paged area

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    page fault in non paged area: so, for a while now, like 2/3 months i have been getting the blue screen with PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA, without any other info. i tried to read the dump file but i cant understand almost nothing. whatever it is i know it might has to do with ene.sys i really dont want...
  10. "Page Fault In Nonpaged Area" BSOD with random hard freeze

"Page Fault In Nonpaged Area" BSOD with random hard freeze: Hi all, I just upgraded my GPU 5 months ago. After the upgrade, I managed to boot my computer with no problems at all, until it started giving me random freeze recently when i run some heavy applications. PC will hard freeze and audio will hang. Only way to end it is to...