Windows 10: Disk I/O throughput on VM

Discus and support Disk I/O throughput on VM in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Hi there USB3 passport self powered HDD (not an SSD) attached via a 4 port un-powered USB 3 hub on KVM / QEMU W10 VM managed decent Macrium image... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by jimbo45, Jan 2, 2020.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Disk I/O throughput on VM

Hi there

USB3 passport self powered HDD (not an SSD) attached via a 4 port un-powered USB 3 hub on KVM / QEMU W10 VM managed decent Macrium image backup in approx 8 mins with perfectly acceptable speed --from the screenshot you can see there's a decent amount of applications installed on this VM. Write speed around 850 Mb/s, Read slightly slower at around 720 Mb/s. (Actually Write should be quicker than Read (on a non SSD device) as Write can buffer the I/O and write bigger chunks to the output device so no surprise there).

Remember also that the VM was stored on a "Classical Spinner HDD" -- although in a RAID 0 array on a Linux Host.

Disk I/O throughput on VM [​IMG]

It's worth having a go with KVM / QEMU -- it really is the fastest FREE virtualisation system I've found - especially if you install the windows virtio drivers. (For GUI management of VM's install package libvirt).

Disk I/O throughput on VM [​IMG]

The only downside is there's no hot plug of USB stuff (yet--there are some systems I'll have a go with) so you need to shutdown the VM -- add the usb device and then power on again -- no real biggie though.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Jan 2, 2020

2. VM networking throughput

that is plenty of throughput since the GS110EMX is managed. your VM clients will all talk to each other without needing any throughput so long as you set them up properly. the cable boxes will barely use any throughput.

Easy Rhino, Jan 2, 2020
  3. neko77025 Win User
    VM networking throughput

Not sure if I worded the Title right ?

Anyhow, I am redoing my home network ( slowly but surly). Soon everything on my house will run threw this network. Trying to fig out what If this will work as I think it will.

Will have VM host (ESXI more then likey, cause i have use it some). This host will have 1 10gbe, All VM clients will use VMed networks threw this.

The Clients will be
    NAS VM 1 (PFsens) PCIe NVMe SSD (for Steam library & games)
    NAS VM 2 (PFsens) HBA PLEX / HDhomerun DVR
    Windows VM DDNS Gamesever (friends only)
    Windows VM Other
    Linux VM

Host 10Gbe will be plugged into A GS110EMX (2x 10gbe port + 8x 1Gbe that feed to other computers ( HDhomerun Cable boxes)

What are you thoughts on this ... will their be any issues with just using 1 NIC for all this ... say if they were all in heavy use. Thinking about adding another 1gbe NIC for the Game sever.

neko77025, Jan 2, 2020
  4. Disk I/O throughput on VM

Windows 10 100% disk usage problem

Hi Jae,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.
    Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Disk I/O throughput on VM

1. Disk I/O throughput on VM - Similar Threads - Disk throughput

2. Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk: HelloI don't know what I have done but it seems to me I am storing the same things over and over again on onedrive and on my local disk C:´\Yesterday I noticed I had only 19GB left of 220 GB. I got help with that but my settings are still wrong. What I want is to edit files...
  3. Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Storage problem with onedrive on my local disk: HelloI don't know what I have done but it seems to me I am storing the same things over and over again on onedrive and on my local disk C:´\Yesterday I noticed I had only 19GB left of 220 GB. I got help with that but my settings are still wrong. What I want is to edit files...
  4. System disk appeared in Safely Remove Hardware

System disk appeared in Safely Remove Hardware: Dear Sir, lately i noticed that my system disk appeared in safely remove hardware and eject media.Laptop is Asus Vivobook ,OS Windows 11.Can you help me to solve this problem.Thanks in advance. Lado Grzan Croatia...
  5. System disk appeared in Safely Remove Hardware

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System disk appeared in Safely Remove Hardware: Dear Sir, lately i noticed that my system disk appeared in safely remove hardware and eject media.Laptop is Asus Vivobook ,OS Windows 11.Can you help me how to solve this problem.Thanks in advance. Lado Grzan Croatia...
  6. 100% disk, 40% CPU and 60% memory on a wiped computer?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk, 40% CPU and 60% memory on a wiped computer?: Hello,I wiped my computer's disk HP with the Windows 10 Home edition because its performance was worryingly poor - I couldn't use it at all. After I did it it worked well for some time, I didn't install anything except for a browser on it but now using it has become...
  7. 100% disk, 40% CPU and 60% memory on a wiped computer?

100% disk, 40% CPU and 60% memory on a wiped computer?: Hello,I wiped my computer's disk HP with the Windows 10 Home edition because its performance was worryingly poor - I couldn't use it at all. After I did it it worked well for some time, I didn't install anything except for a browser on it but now using it has become...
  8. 100% disk, 40% CPU and 60% memory on a wiped computer?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  9. USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...: Recently I realised I can no longer use USB storage devices on my Windows 11 pc.On investigating, I realised that the USB storage devices are appearing in "Disk Management", but they don't have a drive letter assigned.When I try to assign one using "Change Drive Letter and...
  10. USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...

USB Storage devices can not have Drive Letter assigned - Disk Management Console View Is...: Recently I realised I can no longer use USB storage devices on my Windows 11 pc.On investigating, I realised that the USB storage devices are appearing in "Disk Management", but they don't have a drive letter assigned.When I try to assign one using "Change Drive Letter and...