Windows 10: Disk Initialization - Device is not ready error

Discus and support Disk Initialization - Device is not ready error in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Not directly relevant but some background, I've been running into some overheating issues with a drive I'm installing. On the first attempt to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by danweast, Aug 16, 2020.

1. danweast Win User

Disk Initialization - Device is not ready error

Not directly relevant but some background, I've been running into some overheating issues with a drive I'm installing. On the first attempt to initialize and partition, format the drive it failed midway through due to the drive going into overheat protection.

I've now solved the heat issues, however whenever I try to initialize the drive through Disk Management in either GPT or MBR I get a "Device is not ready" error from Virtual Disk Manager. I am able to get SMART info from the drive using CrystalDiskInfo, and device properties says it's functioning correctly. I've tried some quick google solutions including driver reinstallation with no success.

Is this drive gone or how else could I repair it? There is no risk of data loss, it's brand new.

:)

danweast, Aug 16, 2020

2. disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready.

I have a internal 3.5" HDD WD Black 2 TB and try to hook it up in the PC but it doesnt not appear anymore in My Computer. It was working few weeks ago. When opening Disk Management it says the disk is not initialized and it didnt state how many GB available on the hard disk (unallocated). Disk Management tried to initialized the hard disk and it pops out the following errors:
    1. Virtual Disk Manager: Incorrect Function
    and
    2. Virtual Disk Manager: The device is not ready.

I have also tried using a powered USB cable and also connected in directly to the MoBo via SATA but the problem still persist.

I also ran disk part and it shows Disk 3 and Disk 4 as both online but both having size of 0 B

Below is the screen shot of Disk Management. When i right click on the HDD, there are four functions: Initialize Disk, Offline, Properties and Help however the the Initialize Disk function is greyed out.

Disk Initialization - Device is not ready error [​IMG]

I have Partition Wizard 9.1 and the attached picture below is the screenshot of the main GUI. It shows bad disk on the particular hard disk

I tried running Partition Recovery Wizard on the mentioned HDD and it shows a partition of only 512 Bytes but none of my files are visible (no preview)

I just need to retrieve the files in the Hard disk as it contains important files and pictures that havent been backed up. Any help and suggestions are welcomed! Thanks

nabilishes, Aug 16, 2020
  3. nabilishes, Aug 16, 2020
  4. Sloman Win User

disk management - initialize - the device is not ready

trying to format a 1 TB SATA harddrive. In disk management, "Disk 1" is unknown with a tiny red downward facing arrow. Right click, initialize, I select MBR and I get the message "the device is not ready."

Now what do I try?

Sloman, Aug 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Disk Initialization - Device is not ready error - Similar Threads - Disk Initialization Device

2. WinRM error "The device is not ready"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinRM error "The device is not ready": Hi,I'm trying to connect to a windows node windows server 2022 via WINRM using ansible and I'm getting "The device not ready error". I have researched a lot about this and did not find much promising information about this. Are there any insights that I can get to resolve...
  3. disk manager error the device is not ready

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    disk manager error the device is not ready: So i have a 1tb external solid state drive that im attempting to reset to be useable. it came with my computer originally but has issues with the bootloader potentially being wiped or corrupted. im attempting to use disk management but keep getting the device is not ready...
  4. disk manager error the device is not ready

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk manager error the device is not ready: So i have a 1tb external solid state drive that im attempting to reset to be useable. it came with my computer originally but has issues with the bootloader potentially being wiped or corrupted. im attempting to use disk management but keep getting the device is not ready...
  5. disk manager error the device is not ready

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. disk management - initialize - the device is not ready

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    disk management - initialize - the device is not ready: Hi, I was trying to plug in an external HDD to my computer. The file explorer opened but stood frozen for a couple of minutes in "not responding" condition. I then unplugged it. Now It shows in the device manager but doesn't show in file explorer. I tried reinstalling...
  7. The device is not ready external hard disk

The device is not ready external hard disk: Hello, i just bought a new external hard disk. It's a enclosure hard disk, i'm using Kingston A400 SSD 240gb. But somehow it can be initialized. I tried to initialized a lot of times and it says the device is not ready. I tried uninstall a few times and reboot but still same...
  8. device not ready error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    device not ready error: I am trying to install fonts (from dafont) that I have on my computer in my downloads folder. I am getting an error "device is not ready" and the fonts will not install. I have Windows 10. I was able to do this before so why can I not do it now?...
  9. disk management - initialize - the device is not ready

disk management - initialize - the device is not ready: trying to format a 1 TB SATA harddrive. In disk management, "Disk 1" is unknown with a tiny red downward facing arrow. Right click, initialize, I select MBR and I get the message "the device is not ready." Now what do I try?...
  10. disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready.

disk not initialized in Disk Management. Device Not Ready.: I have a internal 3.5" HDD WD Black 2 TB and try to hook it up in the PC but it doesnt not appear anymore in My Computer. It was working few weeks ago. When opening Disk Management it says the disk is not initialized and it didnt state how many GB available on the hard disk...