Windows 10: Disk initialize (MBR) gives 'invalid function' error

Discus and support Disk initialize (MBR) gives 'invalid function' error in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My 1TB HDD internal , does not respond or initialize. I have tried everything possible even change windows versions, data recover tools, command prompt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LawrenceKamau, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Disk initialize (MBR) gives 'invalid function' error

My 1TB HDD internal , does not respond or initialize. I have tried everything possible even change windows versions, data recover tools, command prompt and also physically trying the drive on another computer. It did work but it suddenly couldn't initialize. it can be read but reads 0 bytes free of 0kb. please help. I need to get some important work from the drive and it's frustrating me.

:)

LawrenceKamau, Dec 22, 2018

2. Invalid MS-DOS Function

From reading the latter part of that thread I would suggest that the culprit was 3rd-party AV.

nigelmercier, Dec 22, 2018
  3. Vijay1700 Win User
    Will MBR Initialization erase data on disk? If so, why?

Thanks for the reply Greg. But, this is not regarding installation. Both internal hard disk drives (250 GB & 1 TB) have been partitioned according to my needs and installed both Win 7 and Win 10 (onto both HDD's) and the apps needed with data in both HDD's.
    I never connected these HDD's together. Either one will be always disconnected. I accidentally connected these two internal hard disks which has both Win 7 and Win 10, apps, & data individually. When I booted, the system booted on to Win 10 of 250 GB & the
    1 TB was not accessible via My computer. When I opened Disk Management, it was showing 1 TB as Unalloted (no partition or data?) and asked me to initialize that disk with either MBR or GPT, but had defaultly selected MBR. I thought it would only write MBR
    to make it accessible and clicked yes or proceeded. It was taking a long time. I had a doubt and so I looked up on the Net and found out that there are mixed views on what will happen in this scenario. I then immediately plucked both SATA and Power cable off
    that 1 TB drive. I have still not seen what has happened because I PC is still getting updated with many software - OS updates, 2 AntiVirus, & some apps. I will check out later what has happened. You just tell me if MBR initialization or rewriting MBR erases
    whole data on the disk or not/what?

Vijay1700, Dec 22, 2018
  4. Disk initialize (MBR) gives 'invalid function' error

Unable to partition new disk in Windows 10- process error messages.

I am experiencing process error messages when attempting to initialize a 500GB SSD drive. When I attempt to initialize as MBR, I get an error message window that says "Incorrect Function." If I attempt to initialize as GPD (GUID), I get a message saying
    that the disk size is too small to initialize.

Please give guidance on how to initialize this disk.

Thanks.

Jon Choppelas, Dec 22, 2018
Thema:

Disk initialize (MBR) gives 'invalid function' error

1. Disk initialize (MBR) gives 'invalid function' error - Similar Threads - Disk initialize MBR

2. Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt: Two days ago I was cleaning out my PC because it was in dire need of dusting and cleaning, as well as taking out 3 noisy fans and replacing them. After spending 11 hours on trying to get the fans to work, problem #2 was trying to get the monitor to display anything. So...
  3. Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt: Two days ago I was cleaning out my PC because it was in dire need of dusting and cleaning, as well as taking out 3 noisy fans and replacing them. After spending 11 hours on trying to get the fans to work, problem #2 was trying to get the monitor to display anything. So...
  4. Disk partition unknown, not initialized, can't mbr or gpt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Disk Not Initialized

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Not Initialized: I tried many ways to make my hard drive work but nothing works.I have tried: Ontrack EasyRecovery, AOMEI, Mini Partition Wizard,diskpart,... but nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-not-initialized/b72a516c-96e3-4102-bd0b-66a737959e02
  6. Disk Not Initialized

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Not Initialized: I tried many ways to make my hard drive work but nothing works.I have tried: Ontrack EasyRecovery, AOMEI, Mini Partition Wizard,diskpart,... but nothing worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-not-initialized/b72a516c-96e3-4102-bd0b-66a737959e02
  7. Disk Initialization - Device is not ready error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Initialization - Device is not ready error: Not directly relevant but some background, I've been running into some overheating issues with a drive I'm installing. On the first attempt to initialize and partition, format the drive it failed midway through due to the drive going into overheat protection. I've now solved...
  8. Initialize Disk

Initialize Disk: I recently had to reset my computer to try and fix some problems it was having (it was crashing constantly). When I re-ran windows I attempted to access an external hard drive I use. When I plug the hard drive in windows makes the sound recognizing it and it shows up as a USB...
  9. disk not initialized

disk not initialized: hi my name is Pablo I try to initialized my ssd but everything is gray out the initialized disk is gray out and the new simple volume is gray out to I don't know what to do need help please...
  10. "Disk 1 not initialized" error again

"Disk 1 not initialized" error again: I thought this was fixed but "Disk 1 not initialized" error has popped up again. Not sure what to do. I was cleaning out data off this drive & moved it to another. Thankfully I believe I finished before this error began popping up again. "Disk 1 not initialized" I'm not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. convert mbr incorrect function error

2. convert mbr incorrect function

3. how to initialize hard drive error incorrect function

4. disk management initialize invalid function,
  5. intialize disk invalid function