Windows 10: disk is not bootable

Discus and support disk is not bootable in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi, I have a folder structure (see below) that is created after upgrade from W7 to W10. In my previous question a day ago it was confirmed that it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mla, Jan 29, 2016.

1. MLA
    mla Win User

disk is not bootable

hi,
    I have a folder structure (see below) that is created after upgrade from W7 to W10.
    In my previous question a day ago it was confirmed that it could be used for creating W10 installation media.
    So I don't want to repeat how it was created. It was created automatically and it is 3GB in size.

My question:
    I burned files and folders to DVD using native W10 burn files to disk method. The disk is not bootable.
    The structure on the root of the disk is exact as in Windows folder on the pic. Did I miss the option for making it bootable?
    Or it should be bootable just by burning the content to DVD?
    Thanks.

:)

2. "is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy" error message on upgrading to Windows 10.

Thanks.

I can only assume it was a BOOT priority issue but I found that pressing the Esc key put it back on track and I'm relieved to report that the W10 installation has now been successful.

Thanks for your help

SimonHumph, Jan 29, 2016
  3. "is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy" error message on upgrading to Windows 10.

Original Title: W10 install failed and now left with unbootable disk! aaargh

Can anyone help? I downloaded the Windows 10 upgrade for my wife's machine last night, this morning she started the process. Within a few minutes the machine crashed and now has " is not a bootable disk. Please insert a bootable floppy etc". This looks
    like a major fail, right? Does anyone have any idea how she can get back to Win 7?

Thanks

SimonHumph, Jan 29, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

disk is not bootable

NavyLCDR, Jan 29, 2016
  5. MLA
    mla Win User
    I just think that this folder structure is related to my hardware.
    Or just general W10 ISO will be valid for activation after my current W10 is activated after upgrade fromW7?
    Could you provide the link to W10 ISO download?
    From the other hand I created RecoveryDisk with system files. It is 3GB + and WIM is there. I guess this is actually a Swiss knife for the new installation (let say I replace HD and want to install fresh OS). Am I right?

6. MLA
    mla Win User
  7. cereberus Win User
    cereberus, Jan 29, 2016
  8. MLA
    mla Win User

disk is not bootable

as NavyLCDR suggested it is clear that the best way for ISO or bootable media creation is MS tool in link that I mentioned in previous post.
    I saved the ISO and yes there is an option for USB key creation.
    The only question I have and going to test later today on similar laptop model (don't want to wipe out current install) is:
    if the recoverydisk created on USB stick containing system files (3GB + in size) will allow to install CLEAN Windows.
    In other words, is it equal to Windows 10 DVD? Just after boot process will go to Recovery menus.

Why I am asking ... to be sure that we can generate bootable and ready for clean install stick at any given time as soon as the system is in good working state ( in case there is no DVD).
    I know that in 8.1 there was no option to have WIM file on recovery disk. Looks like WIM is clean image (as ISO).
    Thanks to all.

9. Kyhi Win User
    What you just downloaded is Windows 10 Setup Media...

You can use for New Installation, Upgrade, Recovery or Repair...

10. MLA
    mla Win User
    you didn't get my point.
    it is clear that what is downloaded (ISO)from MS is OS installation media.
    I am asking about Recovery drive...
    And just launched the utility again and see that my previous question is not accurate. Recovery Disk will allow not to install CLEAN Windows(as from ISO), but contains basically a backup of whole installation that is Super backup solution.
    Want to try it. Also I did Windows backup on external HD that could be restored using Repair Disk or Recovery Disk that doesn't have system files.

11. Kyhi Win User
    Creating Recovery Media using that utility..

Will create Bare Metal Reset Recovery Media

Except it uses the WinRE as the boot.wim instead of the standard setup boot.wim
    So instead of seeing INSTALL - you see advanced options..

Both methods do the same thing - clean install windows..

Recovery Media does it all By defaults (no user choice)

Yes, on the PC it was created on

12. MLA
    mla Win User
    Kyhi,
    sorry I went back and forth with my "understanding" *Smile of recovery...
    yes it could serve for bare metal install and not as FULL Windows backup.
    But even this is super solution if there is no media and windows key.
    The installation from recovery disk on the same machine will be activate automatically without need of KEY.

Thanks!
    Michael.

13. Kyhi Win User

disk is not bootable

14. cereberus Win User
    Unlike earlier versions of Windows which often had recovery partitions which contained a compressed copy of the OS, Windows 10 no longer does that.

The small recovery partition just contains the tools to rebuild the OS from compressed files on the C drive ie not using a copy anymore, saving up to 5GB of diskspace.

To this end, the end result of a recovery drive installation and a clean installation (using usb stick or dvd created from MS standard iso) are effectively more or less the same thing now, except a recovery drive is quicker and more convenient.

You need to be careful with tablets/hybrids as they sometimes contain drivers not in the standard iso.

So it is a good idea to back up your 3rd party drivers in case you need to do a clean install.

http://woshub.com/how-to-export-driv...indows-8-1-u1/

(works for Windows 10 as well).

cereberus, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

disk is not bootable

1. disk is not bootable - Similar Threads - disk bootable

2. Making a Bootable Windows Installation disk from an FFU file

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Making a Bootable Windows Installation disk from an FFU file: HII am trying to duplicate a master Windows 10 IOT LTSC system which has 2 Volumes C: and D:. Initially I had just one volume and the DISM tool made it easy for me to make a bootable disk by mountain the Windows ISO and replacing the install.wim file.Since I now have 2...
  3. 1 year old Computer has just stopped working, unable to recover, make bootable disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    1 year old Computer has just stopped working, unable to recover, make bootable disk: I have a new PC with Windows 11 that is less than 1 year old.For the past week programs have started to crash, data has become corrupted and I have been getting the Blue screen of death due to a multiple of errors.\I have tried to update my drivers but everything I download...
  4. 1 year old Computer has just stopped working, unable to recover, make bootable disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    1 year old Computer has just stopped working, unable to recover, make bootable disk: I have a new PC with Windows 11 that is less than 1 year old.For the past week programs have started to crash, data has become corrupted and I have been getting the Blue screen of death due to a multiple of errors.\I have tried to update my drivers but everything I download...
  5. No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key: Both uefi and legacy cant boot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-bootable-device-insert-boot-disk-and-press-any/392f16b0-2830-40ef-b8a3-1edeb3979cc2
  6. No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No bootable device - insert boot disk and press any key: Both uefi and legacy cant boot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-bootable-device-insert-boot-disk-and-press-any/392f16b0-2830-40ef-b8a3-1edeb3979cc2
  7. Windows 10/11 Installation failure on last step from bootable USB disk MSI laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10/11 Installation failure on last step from bootable USB disk MSI laptop: Hello,I am creating this topic in hope of finding a solution. I have tried many existing threads and posts on this forum + multitude of youtube videos, but I got stuck.I can assure you that I have really went through a lot of websites and forum posts, I wouldn't be creating...
  8. Windows 10/11 Installation failure on last step from bootable USB disk MSI laptop

Windows 10/11 Installation failure on last step from bootable USB disk MSI laptop: Hello,I am creating this topic in hope of finding a solution. I have tried many existing threads and posts on this forum + multitude of youtube videos, but I got stuck.I can assure you that I have really went through a lot of websites and forum posts, I wouldn't be creating...
  9. "No bootable device -- Insert disk and press any key" error when booting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "No bootable device -- Insert disk and press any key" error when booting: Windows 10"No bootable device -- Insert disk and press any key"Old HardwareAcer E1-431 ,cannot boot with UEFIcan anyone help me,so my laptop is an acer e1 431 its not able to boot too UEFI because its not compatible with it,and i have been getting errors when i want to boot...
  10. "No bootable device -- Insert disk and press any key" error when booting

"No bootable device -- Insert disk and press any key" error when booting: Windows 10"No bootable device -- Insert disk and press any key"Old HardwareAcer E1-431 ,cannot boot with UEFIcan anyone help me,so my laptop is an acer e1 431 its not able to boot too UEFI because its not compatible with it,and i have been getting errors when i want to boot...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. bootable disk is not bootable

2. this is not a bootable disk