Windows 10: Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore

Discus and support Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi all I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a 5,1 Mac Pro using Bootcamp. I have upgraded my HD to an SSD and I've restored my old HD partition to the SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by L_Delorme, Jan 22, 2019.

1. L_Delorme Win User

Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore

Hi all

I'm running Windows 10 Pro on a 5,1 Mac Pro using Bootcamp. I have upgraded my HD to an SSD and I've restored my old HD partition to the SSD using Winclone. My new Windows partition is larger than the old one. Problem is, Windows explorer still reports the old (and wrong) disk size info.

Oddly enough, Disk Management 'sees' the proper partition... However, when I try to extend the volume, it only detects the 128mb partitions as free space...

Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore 00e54646-63de-424b-aab2-af0a20abf176?upload=true.png

I know this is probably due to Winclone but I'm wondering if anything can be done to get back that extra space. I'm going to try EaseUS in case that fixes my problem. If I don't report back in 30 minutes, then it probably didn't work.

Any help welcome.

Thanks

:)

L_Delorme, Jan 22, 2019
  2. Noela Tum Win User

Extend C drive capacity

Hello Chử,

Disk Management lets you view and manage the disk drives installed in your computer as well as the partitions associated with those drives. In order to sort this out, kindly answer the following questions:

• What did you mean when you wanted to extend C: drive capacity?
    • Are you planning to free up disk space?

Be sure to visit this article on
    Disk Management
    for more information like managing disks and managing basic volumes.

Hope this helps and we'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Noela Tum, Jan 22, 2019
  3. Roy James Win User
    Recovery drive reports incorrect capacity

I have a 1TB external drive which I have set up as a Recovery drive. After the Recovery drive has been created File Manager reports the capacity as 39GB (8GB used and 31GB freespace). Have viewed the drive with DiskManagement it shows 870GB of unallocated
    space. It would appear that the recovery disk utility wants to exclude me from using the rest of this disk?

Roy James, Jan 22, 2019
  4. Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore

Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jan 22, 2019
Thema:

Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore

1. Disk Management and Windows Explorer reporting false drive capacity following a restore - Similar Threads - Disk Management Explorer

2. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  3. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  4. Battery Report Capacity

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Battery Report Capacity: I have a laptop wher the battery report shows the FULL CHARGE CAPACITY and the DESIGN CAPACITY both are the same. They both decrease but the value is always the same. I would like to know how to fix or reset this issue. PERIODFULL CHARGE CAPACITYDESIGN CAPACITY2021-07-06 -...
  5. Disk Management Reports in Error

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management Reports in Error: Curiosity here. (Using Windows 10 version 10.0.19042) In Disk Management (Windows 10) my drives are all reported as NTFS Right clicking each drive, going to Properties, then Volumes, they are reported as GPT I know they are all GPT Just wondering why Win 10's Disk management...
  6. False Report

in Windows 10 Gaming
    False Report: I'm a clean gamer but for some reason, i got a message from xbox saying that my account has been banned this is the message: Notice of enforcement action: For more information, check the email associated with your Xbox Live account, or visit enforcement.xbox.com. Right...
  7. Is this false CHKDSK reporting?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Is this false CHKDSK reporting?: Hi all - I open an administrative command window on W10 Pro and type chkdsk c: /F /V so that chkdsk can run on the boot volume upon restart. Drive C: is an SSD. Upon reboot, chkdsk is invoked and I notice this: [img] Note the bottom line in the picture - Scanning and...
  8. External drive reporting wrong capacity

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    External drive reporting wrong capacity: Hi All, We use a 1tb Western Digital USB3 external drive for a system backup on a desktop PC under windows 10. After formatting it's showing 931gb capacity. The Windows Image Backup file is approx 560gb. Problem is the drive is now saying there is only 79gb space...
  9. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity: I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink,...
  10. Drive capacity graphic in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    Drive capacity graphic in File Explorer: Has anyone else noticed this or is it something specific to my Windows 10 Preview (10162). The graphic in File Explorer that should indicate used and free space on a drive is as you can see not very intuitive. It was a pie chart on all previous versions of Windows that I can...