Windows 10: Disk management fails to shrink volume

Discus and support Disk management fails to shrink volume in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message: "An unexpected... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by SharpeN-Official, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Disk management fails to shrink volume

I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message:

"An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then restart Disk Management or restart the computer."

I have checked Event Log but I couldn't find it. Either I don't know where to look or Windows didn't register the error.

Please help

:)

SharpeN-Official, Jul 20, 2018

2. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

Coastalguy, Jul 20, 2018
  3. Extend Volume in disk managment not working

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Let me help you.

• Since when did the issue started appearing?

• Have you made any changes in settings prior to the issue?

• Do you receive any error code or error message on the screen?

I suggest you to follow the exact steps mentioned below and check if you are able to perform the action.

• Run Disk Management. Open Run Command (Windows button +R) a dialog box will open and type "diskmgmt.msc".

• In the Disk Management screen, just right-click on the partition that you want to shrink, and select “Extend Volume” from the menu

• Locate your system partition — that’s probably the C: partition. Right-click on it and select “Shrink Volume.” If you have multiple partitions on your hard drive, you could also choose to resize a different partition to free up
      space.
    Check if it helps.

Please reply with the details and updated status of the issue. We will be happy to assist you further.

Aswin_Anand, Jul 20, 2018
  4. Disk management fails to shrink volume

Need help shrinking a volume

It's not because of the RAID. You are trying to shrink the system partition. Get yourself Acronis Disk Manager (or any other disk management software) and try with it. Windows (XP or Vista) won't allow you to change the volume of the system partition with it's inbuilt tools.

Grasshopper, Jul 20, 2018
Thema:

Disk management fails to shrink volume

1. Disk management fails to shrink volume - Similar Threads - Disk management fails

2. No option to shrink partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No option to shrink partition in Disk Management: Hi, I've got a question about my Windows 10 Home laptop. I don't use it as much now but I thought about a scenario where I can install another copy of Windows 10 on a new partition (it's a 1tb SSD) to use as testing for Windows Insider builds - I've had a look around on this...
  3. Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume: Dear MS Community Members, My disk capacity disappeared 150GB after I shrink 150GB of space from my E: drive. Pls refer to the picture attached, in Computer Management, you can easily see the 150GB differences in the E: drive. The explorer also showed 433GB only. I...
  4. volume shrink help

in Windows 10 Customization
    volume shrink help: i bought new laptop with win 10 it has SSD 521gb but it has only one drive which is c: which has windows how can i make other drives d and e out of it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/volume-shrink-help/3cc44158-3f66-4958-8528-aebf20296719
  5. Expand volume in Disk Management

Expand volume in Disk Management: I added a 4TB external USB drive to my desktop. I partitioned the drive so it's approximately 2 TB plus 2 TB. On the 2nd partition which is unallocated the option to create a new volume is shaded out. In fact, all options are shaded out. On the 1st partition which is a volume...
  6. cant shrink volume

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    cant shrink volume: got a dual boot system with ubuntu, want to shrink volume so i can give ubuntu more space but cant(despite having 200gb space). tried using 3rd party software but they all require a lisence. is there any way to fix this problem without paying for 3rd party software?...
  7. Shrinking a volume

Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  8. Unable to Shrink Volume

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Shrink Volume: Just got an ASUS laptop. In Disk Management I want to shrink C: a small amount and use the partition for my data. But, regardless of what value I put in Enter the amount of space to shrink in MB I get The parameter is incorrect The size that is available to shrink is 45032...
  9. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity: I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink,...
  10. shrinking volume with OS on it

shrinking volume with OS on it: Howdy, I've inherited a desktop with Windows 10 installed on a 1TB, single partition drive. For better or worse I belong to the "partitions" school, and would like to partition this physical drive into 2 or maybe even 3 logical partitions. From what I've found thus...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk manager shrink volume

2. while shrinking a spanned volume it shows error windows 10

3. disk management shrink services name

4. disk management shrink error