Windows 10: Disk Management Hangs

Discus and support Disk Management Hangs in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, so the problem is I was shrinking my drive to create another partition. Then I accidentally exit disk management, and when Iied to open it again it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Phawat Suksiriwan, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Disk Management Hangs

Hi, so the problem is I was shrinking my drive to create another partition. Then I accidentally exit disk management, and when Iied to open it again it just says "Connecting to Virtual Disk Service". So then I tried to cancel the shrinking process of the drive in "Defragment and Optimize Drives", But it is still cancelling, it's been an hour now. Help would be appreciated, thanks. Disk Management Hangs 1f466bc1-06d7-4dc6-833d-5ee05ded2b57?upload=true.png Disk Management Hangs 75ac653e-befb-4715-b163-36db2b0102bd?upload=true.png

:)

Phawat Suksiriwan, Oct 27, 2020

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Disk Management Hangs :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Oct 27, 2020
  3. icelava Win User
    Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives

I unplug the disks immediately, because their policy is set (by default) to
    Quick removal
    . If I've configured them for Better performance then I would perform the formal procedure of software eject prior to unplug. The only storage device that does not need a formal software eject is the SD card; it will gracefully notice
    the card is gone and remove the disk entry accordingly.

I'm unsure why option 1 is suggested. Does it mean that Computer Management with all it variety of console sections are causing it to hang instead of Disk Management itself? For that matter, even when running the pure diskmgmt.dsc it will still hang - as
    expected in this case - since it's pretty obvious it's Disk Management that's stumbling here.

And indeed if I perform the formal eject before unplugging, Computer Management/Disk Management has a much better chance of survival and dynamically update the disk entry list.

UPDATE: Actually, no. Disk Management can hang just as much even with software eject.

So for now I will go through the extra hassle of ejecting regardless of removal policy. But I am still confused and curious over how Disk Management handles such events, and why it's so susceptible to storage devices that by nature of external
    USB connections, can get plugged out (at idle activity) really quick, especially more so with laptops on the move.

icelava, Oct 27, 2020
  4. Disk Management Hangs

Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

Disk Management Hangs

1. Disk Management Hangs - Similar Threads - Disk Management Hangs

2. Task Manager Hang & Crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager Hang & Crash: Task Manager is hanging and subsequently crashing immediately upon opening.I've just updated to Win11 Pro 22H2 from Win10 Pro since changing hardware Motherboard ROG Strix Z790-H Gaming WiFi, CPU Intel i7 13700KF, graphics card Nvidia RTX 4070, and now runningOS Build:...
  3. Task Manager hang and crash

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Task Manager hang and crash: Description: Task manager always stops responding, hangs, and needs force close. This happens every time I open except in safe mode. Task manager stops updating stats and process list. 'Details' tab empty and no processes shown.Version: Windows 11 22H2 build 22621.1848Crash...
  4. Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...: So I have a mess of problems, although I suspect they all stem from one thing. The issues I'm facing with Windows 10 Pro 20H2 are:Application installers hang foreverGoing to Disk Management hangs connecting to the Virtual Disk ServiceWhen I try to restart my computer, it just...
  5. Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...: So I have a mess of problems, although I suspect they all stem from one thing. The issues I'm facing with Windows 10 Pro 20H2 are:Application installers hang foreverGoing to Disk Management hangs connecting to the Virtual Disk ServiceWhen I try to restart my computer, it just...
  6. Unable to install applications, Disk Management hangs connecting to Virtual Disk Service,...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Disk Managment hanging when I plug in my USB drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Managment hanging when I plug in my USB drive: I recently bought a handful of USB drives so I could have more space on my computer, but they're caused at least one problem, so I had two plugged in and when I opened disk managment to do something, it hung on Loading Disk Configuration Information, (...
  8. 100% disk full and hanging

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk full and hanging: Dear sir/madam, I have updates on windows 10, but from few days system is hanging and when i opened task manager, in task manager disk showing red and 100% full, even though nothing is running behind, i disable windows search options then also same issue...
  9. Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives: I recently acquired a Lenovo ThinkPad T480 and notice the Computer Management - Disk Management console is prone to hanging whenever I disconnect USB drives. I have to kill the process externally by way of the unresponsive dialog prompt. [ATTACH] My other computers seem...
  10. Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer Management/Disk Management hangs on disconnecting USB drives: I recently acquired a Lenovo ThinkPad T480 and notice the Computer Management - Disk Management console is prone to hanging whenever I disconnect USB drives. I have to kill the process externally by way of the unresponsive dialog prompt. [ATTACH] My other computers seem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. connecting to virtual disk service hang