Windows 10: Disk Management - Partitioning

Discus and support Disk Management - Partitioning in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Trying to partition my old HD to use for sys image storage for my new SSD. Allocation went fine but problems creating a volume. Using the defaults... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Wyniss., Feb 21, 2021.

1. Wyniss. Win User

Disk Management - Partitioning

Trying to partition my old HD to use for sys image storage for my new SSD. Allocation went fine but problems creating a volume. Using the defaults except for the drive letter when I go to finish I get a warning that I am trying to convert that drive from basic to dynamic and that I won't be able to start any installed operating system from any volume on the disk except for current boot volume. That's okay but obviously not my intention. Not okay because when I click okay info box says "operation not supported by the object".

:)

Wyniss., Feb 21, 2021

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Disk Management - Partitioning :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Feb 21, 2021
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Feb 21, 2021
  4. Disk Management - Partitioning

Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Feb 21, 2021
Thema:

Disk Management - Partitioning

1. Disk Management - Partitioning - Similar Threads - Disk Management Partitioning

2. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Management - Partitions: Descobri que meu SSD de 1Tb diminuiu para 222 Gb.o que posso fazer? Posso juntar os volumes 1 e 3 ao 0 zero? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-partitions/8badfd33-7d4f-4f4b-96b6-be7c1d182fb1
  3. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Management - Partitions: Descobri que meu SSD de 1Tb diminuiu para 222 Gb.o que posso fazer? Posso juntar os volumes 1 e 3 ao 0 zero? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-management-partitions/8badfd33-7d4f-4f4b-96b6-be7c1d182fb1
  4. Disk Management - Partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition not showing as such in disk management: In the screenshot below, you can see the highlighted partition on Disk 0 is not showing as a healthy recovery partition and is not shown listed above. This is a cloned Windows 10 installation taken from Disk 1 now labeled storage.However, in diskpart, disk 0, partition 4 of...
  6. Disk Management partitions not visible

in Windows 10 Customization
    Disk Management partitions not visible: I've never seen this before and can't seem to find any similar situations online. Trying to add a new SSD drive for additional storage, not Windows C drive. Disk Managment visual representation of partitions is greyed out/ greened out for some reason? I've restarted and all...
  7. Disk Partition EFI Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk Partition EFI Management: DISK PARTITION INCLUDING EFI SYSTEM PARTITION AND RECOVERY DRIVE PARTITION. Earlier my File Explorer used to display C drive and D drive Recovery Drive which majorly contains only the recovery file. However, after a windows update a long time back, the D drive stopped...
  8. Disk partition not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk partition not showing up in disk management: I installed a windows 10 update yesterday and now I have lost my D and E drive and all of the data that was on there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and 3 others that are called disk 0 partition 1, 4 and 5. When I go into file...
  9. Disk manager disk partition with 3.77gb storage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk manager disk partition with 3.77gb storage: Hello everyone. Please help . What is it? How can I delete it? I used different ways to get rid off from this but couldnot. I used diskpart command cleaned it, created new partition,deleted it formatted but could not remove from list. I can create from this partition,...
  10. partitions in Macrium & Disk Management

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    partitions in Macrium & Disk Management: I've attached a photo showing my hard drive partitions from Macrium (after selecting "Create an image of the partitions required to backup and restore Windows") and also from Disk Management in Windows 10. 1) What is the 16MB Unformatted Primary partition in Macrium...