Windows 10: Disk Management Query

Discus and support Disk Management Query in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; For clarity, even if you delete the 300 MB partition, it is very difficult to reclaim that space as partition managers cannot move the 128MB MSR... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Geosammy, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Geosammy Win User

Disk Management Query

@cereberus
    I don't understand this requirement Windows has for creating useless partitions.
    At least they seem useless to me.
    However, I'm going to preform a clean install of the SCU ISO on a completely empty disk, once it's available. This should sort out the drive's partitions, once and for all, or at least until the next in-place upgrade.
    Clarity is a good thing, thanks for your reply.*Thumbs

Geosammy, Apr 5, 2018
  2. Geosammy Win User

Hi,
    Below is a screenshot of my Disk Management Console.
    With the C drive and it's partitions highlighted in yellow.

Disk Management Query [​IMG]

I was wondering,
    if this looks correct/typical for a win 10 C drive?
    Also,
    would removing the 475MB Recovery Partition,
    make much of a difference?
    I'm trying to find out,
    if I'll gain anything,
    by removing the aforementioned partition.
    Should I just leave well enough alone,
    and refrain from changing/disturbing anything,
    so as to avoid unintentionally causing problems?

:)

Geosammy, Apr 8, 2018
  3. Trybird Win User
    Cannot change the drive letter to what it used to be!

That is precisely the reason why drive K in your disk management tool does not be allowed to choose.

In fact,

your mounted disks settings' registry querying result

is more accurate than

your disk management tool's displaying list.

Trybird, Apr 8, 2018
  4. Disk Management Query

Computer Management Query:

You need to delete both the 450 MB partition and the 11 GB partition.

This will convert into unallocated space.

Right click the OS C:\ drive then click Extend, which will allow you to recover the unallocated space.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 8, 2018
  5. Really no need to mess with it to be honest. That 475MB is not enough to even bother with it I would say. It is less than 1/2 of a GB. If everything is working fine, just leave it. And to answer your question, my C:\ looks exactly the same with the exception of the extra Recovery partition.

Access Denied, Apr 8, 2018
  6. topgundcp Win User
    @Geosammy
    The Disk Management indicated that you upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8. So your Disk Layout is a little bit different from normal Windows 10 Installation. The extra 475MB Recovery partition was created during upgrade to store WinRe.wim (Windows Recovery Environment). If you remove this partition, you won't be able to boot into Recovery.

In addition, there's a 128MB MSR partition (hidden from Disk Management) between the EFI System partition and C drive.

To see all partitions including the hidden one. Open Admin Command then type:

diskpart
    select disk 2
    list par
    exit

topgundcp, Apr 8, 2018
  7. Geosammy Win User
    @topgundcp
    Whad'ya Know?... you're correct.
    I was wondering why I noticed 5 partitions and only seen 4.*Redface

Disk Management Query [​IMG]

I'm guessing the best thing I could do for now,
    would be to leave it as is?

Will I really gain anything form removing useless ( or what I think are useless) partitions?

Geosammy, Apr 8, 2018
  8. Steve C Win User

Disk Management Query

You can use MiniTool Partition Wizard (MPW) to peruse those recovery partitions. You will probably find that the 475MB is newer and should be kept. You can use MPW to delete the recovery partition at the start of the drive, move the 100Mb EFI system partition to the start then extend C: to use up the free space. You should make a system backup image using something like Reflect before fiddling with these partitions since you PC could fail to boot if errors are made.

Steve C, Apr 8, 2018
  9. Geosammy Win User
    @Steve C
    I'm not quite sure what "preuse" is referring to.
    However, thanks for your suggestion Steve C.
    I'll definitely be checking out MPW.
    You wouldn't happen to know,
    if this tool is available at MojorGeeks?
    Never mind... it is available at MojorGeeks after all.

Do you think there's any way of telling,
    which recovery partition is older or most recently created?
    Is there some kind of timestamp value somewhere?
    I'd be interested in knowing this,
    if it can be done.

Geosammy, Apr 8, 2018
  10. Barman58 Win User
    Barman58, Apr 8, 2018
  11. Barman58 Win User
    I would suggest that the recovery partition at the end of the drive is the latest as that is the way the latest upgrades install has worked, but I would not chance any removal for the sake of a small space recovery.

You could always wait for the SCU Ver 1803 17331.1 to be available and use an ISO to clean install to a completely empty disk - This will give you a cleaner faster system that has the partitions exactly as Windows now wants them. Back up everything first then wipe the drive and install from a booted USB installer (or dvd if you prefer)

It will also mean that you have to re-install and setup all your existing applications and any changes to settings

Barman58, Apr 8, 2018
  12. Geosammy Win User
    Geosammy, Apr 8, 2018
  13. Geosammy Win User

Disk Management Query

Now that's an interesting plan.
    I just might do that, when the time come.
    Thanks again Barman58, that's an excellent suggestion .

Geosammy, Apr 8, 2018
  14. Barman58 Win User
    Major Geeks are one of the better sites for obtaining software but they are now including little optional extras, (as the majority of sites), some of these extras can be unwanted and so going to the actual developer will give a clean copy of the latest version

Barman58, Apr 8, 2018
  15. Barman58 Win User
    @Geosammy One thing on the forum options If you use @username, this will inform the user that you have mentioned them, and is likely to obtain a reply more quickly

Barman58, Apr 8, 2018
Thema:

Disk Management Query

1. Disk Management Query - Similar Threads - Disk Management Query

2. COLOUR MANAGEMENT QUERY - ADVANCED TAB.

in Windows 10 Customization
    COLOUR MANAGEMENT QUERY - ADVANCED TAB.: I calibrate and profile my laptop for photo editing in photoshop. I currently use Windows 10 on my laptop. I create my own ICC profiles and add them to All Profiles in the Windows 10 Colour Management tool. I then go back to the Devices section,click Use my Settings and...
  3. COLOUR MANAGEMENT QUERY - ADVANCED TAB.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COLOUR MANAGEMENT QUERY - ADVANCED TAB.: I calibrate and profile my laptop for photo editing in photoshop. I currently use Windows 10 on my laptop. I create my own ICC profiles and add them to All Profiles in the Windows 10 Colour Management tool. I then go back to the Devices section,click Use my Settings and...
  4. Disk management security and redundancy exam query

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management security and redundancy exam query: I recently passed my CompTIA core 2 exam but there was a specific part of a question i was unsure about. It was simple disk partitioning in disk management but then it went on to say "The new partitions must be formatted to ensure that users files can be secured from other...
  5. Disk management security and redundancy exam query

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk management security and redundancy exam query: I recently passed my CompTIA core 2 exam but there was a specific part of a question i was unsure about.It was simple disk partitioning in disk management but then it went on to say "The new partitions must be formatted to ensure that users files can be secured from other...
  6. Remote Desktop Server Manager query

in Windows 10 Customization
    Remote Desktop Server Manager query: In Remote Desktop Server Manager - where the Process tab. We are running version 2017 and i need to end a hung session for a user. I dont want to disconnect or log it off as they will lose their other applications. Thank you...
  7. Query: Regarding disk drive size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Query: Regarding disk drive size: Is it true that the C:\Windows folder's size won't increase any further after it reaches 25-26 GB?So would that mean that Windows Updates won't take any more space after the Windows folder reaches this size? Does the Windows update-mechanism work this way onlyreferring to the...
  8. File Manager query

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File Manager query: I have an issue on my Win10 Machine. Whenever I try to create a new folder on my desktop it's automatically named New folder(2) ; Which means that there is already a folder with that name. I have done multiple searches on my desktop through file explorer with all the hidden...
  9. Disk management query

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management query: I have spotted an unallocated partition in Disk Management. Is this a problem? How do I get rid of it if necessary? [img] 137022
  10. Disk management query

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk management query: I have spotted an unallocated partition in Disk Management. Is this a problem? How do I get rid of it if necessary? [img] 137022