Windows 10: Disk management question?

Discus and support Disk management question? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; In Disk Management..When you create a New Simple Volume on Unallocated space there is a screen where you must select a drive letter. I'm presuming that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sportsfan148, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Disk management question?

In Disk Management..When you create a New Simple Volume on Unallocated space there is a screen where you must select a drive letter. I'm presuming that when you choose a drive letter here that it will be a fixed drive letter. Is there any way of creating a new simple volume in disk management without having to set up a fixed drive letter. It is a USB flash drive and I just want the drive letter to be dynamically assigned by Windows each time I insert the drive.

:)

sportsfan148, Jan 6, 2018
  2. JimWynne Win User

disk management

What do you mean by "make two new disk drives"? Do you want to partition the 350GB drive to include one or more logical drives? Have you tried doing it in Disk Management?

JimWynne, Jan 6, 2018
  3. Disk Management

did you go to this PC and does it show there. if not is it a USB drive. Did you just connect it first time. if so restart PC and see if it is there. you need to format it or you will not be able to access it. do a quick NTFS format and restart pc.

seahawks65, Jan 6, 2018
  4. caffeine Win User

Disk management question?

Don't enter a drive letter. That way Windows will automatically assign the next available letter each time the flash drive is plugged in. For example, If drives C,D,E are already assigned, then the flash drive will have a temporary assignment of F. If the next time it is plugged in only C and D are assigned, the flash drive will have a temporary assignment of E.

If you wish to be able to easily identify the flash drive when plugged in, you can name the drive. Under This PC, right click the flash drive. Choose rename and type the name you desire. Press Enter. This name will follow the flash drive to any computer you plug it into. The process is exactly the same as renaming a folder or file.

caffeine, Jan 6, 2018
  5. Hi Caffeine. I don't see an option here for not entering a drive letter..thats the problem. Drive E is highlighted automatically. The only option seems to be to choose another letter other than Drive E. Theres something underneath about assigning NTFS or something similar which doesn't apply and a greyed out (not selectable) option underneath that is something to do with not having a drive letter. I don't know how to not select a drive letter and have it signed dynamically exactly the way you describe it in your post. I cant see a way of not entering a drive letter unless theres something I'm missing

6. caffeine Win User
    The drive letter you see is the temporary drive letter I was talking about. If you want to test that, do this: Remove the flash drive, and plug a different external device. It will has the drive letter you saw previously for your flash drive. Now,without removing the device you plugged in, plug your flash drive again. You will see that the flash drive has been assigned the next available letter after the first external device.

The reason this happens is that the operating system needs to have a "target" to point at to use the device. Without the temporary letter assignment, the device is (basically) unidentifiable.

caffeine, Jan 6, 2018
  7. Oh right... I was misunderstanding how it works then. I thought when it was asking for a drive letter and it was showing Drive E that it was going to make drive E a fixed(permanent) letter for the flash drive. I have C: system drive and D:dvdrw drive so E: is my next available drive letter on my laptop. So when it pre-selects drive E: as it does on my laptop it just means it will be temporary and that it will be dynamically changed by Windows if I leave the default Drive E: selected (because it is my next available drive letter on my laptop). If somebody was to decide that in their case they would prefer a fixed (permanent) drive letter for the drive they would have to change it to something other than drive E: ? Have I understood that correctly?

8. mrgeek Win User

"If somebody was to decide that in their case they would prefer a fixed (permanent) drive letter for the drive they would have to change it to something other than drive E: ? Have I understood that correctly?"

Correct. I have external usb backup drives that I assign letters like N or P, that the OS would never reach, and they get recognized the same all the time. If you are happy with your answers, mark topic solved so others may find. Cheers.

mrgeek, Jan 6, 2018
  9. Thanks. I have marked the topic solved as you suggested. Can I ask though how does it help others to find it..can you search somehow?

10. mrgeek Win User
    "Can I ask though how does it help others to find it..can you search somehow?"

Thanks ! If someone does a Search using term, like 'disk management' +/ Solved, they will see which threads include solutions w/o having to read thru all the unresolved ones.

mrgeek, Jan 6, 2018
  11. Thanks for explaining that. That's something I didn't know

12. caffeine Win User
    I thought you were only wanting to know how to have a drive without permanent assignment. Since you mentioned permanent assignment, there is something you need to know about that. If you assign a drive letter, that assignment works only on the local computer which was used to assign it. On all other computers , the "next available" rule applies.

If you ever desire to be able to clearly identify the device on any computer, consider naming the device. To do so: in This PC right click the device, and choose rename. Type the name you want, and press enter. It is exactly the same as renaming folders/files.
    I hope you find this helpful also.

caffeine, Jan 6, 2018
  13. Disk management question?

Thanks for that info Caffeine. I'll bear that in mind in case I ever do want a drive letter to be permanently assigned. You are correct though I don't want permanent assignment. I want my flash drive letters to be dynamically assigned by Windows.
    I only talked about that because I wanted to be sure I'd understood how the drive lettering system worked in Disk Management. Once again..Many Thanks for your help

sportsfan148, Jan 7, 2018
  14. This morning I did as you suggested. I have only C: and D: DVDRW on my laptop. My USB flash drive was Drive E:.
    The flash drive was in GPT format because Rufus installation media had been on the disk. So I used diskpart to clean the disk and successfully converted it back to MBR. I then went to Disk Management and the disk showed unallocated space as expected after cleaning the disk. The former Drive letter E: was obviously not showing on the unallocated disk space but it was showing on the Disk button at the far left i.e Disk 1 Removable media drive E: . So I clicked on the unallocated space to create a new simple volume. The drive letter option it gave me was F: so I followed your instructions and just took it and formatted etc.
    After it had finished it showed the new volume was drive F: which is supposed to be not a fixed letter but a dynamic letter ..right?
    I took out the flash drive and reinserted it expecting to see that Windows would have dynamically assigned it with Drive E: because like I said I only have C: and D: This didn't happen, it has kept the drive letter F: I don't understand why?

sportsfan148, Jan 8, 2018
  15. spunk Win User
    spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Disk management question? - Similar Threads - Disk management question

2. disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk management: trying to figure things out in disk management with my drives. my question is , is my system split in half? on 2 different drives? my computer will not boot without both drives plugged in. is this normal and if not how do i fix it? FYI i am not a computer guy by any means!...
  3. 3 questions about Disk Management.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    3 questions about Disk Management.: 1. What will happen if I delete the free space?2. How can I move the free space to C Drive?3. How can I convert E to a Primary Partition?Note: Free Space = Whatever is shown in the photo....
  4. Windows 10 Disk Management question

Windows 10 Disk Management question: I would like to format drive "H" so I can use all of the space for backing up my PC's. How can I merge those unallocated spaces into the Toshiba "H:" Logical drive? [ATTACH]...
  5. Disk management question

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk management question: How to convert dynamic partition to basic partition through disk management or any other free helpful application. submitted by /u/iMahdik99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f5crcj/disk_management_question/
  6. disks management

disks management: How to copy a disk (supporting the system) to a new disk ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disks-management/eb9e8035-f255-4735-86b8-8667e49c1414"
  7. Disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk management: Did and when did Disk Management stop showing all partitions ? Here's my example, it's another SSD that contains my other W10 installation. This is a look from Skippy for instance: [img] Same disk from Easus Partition master: [img] BOOT drive with C: shows right way but...
  8. Disk Management

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk Management: I open Disk Management and I receive the message: "Unable to connect to Virtual Disk Service" how do I fix this problem? The machine is a Dell Desktop XPS-8700 Windows 10 Pro Version:1803 OS Build 17134.228 Installed on 05/05/2018...
  9. Quick question about SSD's Disk Management, and Pretend Raid

Quick question about SSD's Disk Management, and Pretend Raid: I was running out of space on my 500Gb SSD, I purchased another and went about trying to create a stripe using my motherboard, it wasnt happening too well, so I joined the two SSD's using Disk Management, now I have 1TB using the two drives. Now, on to my question. Does...
  10. Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd

Disk management question after installing w10 to new ssd: Hello, Got a new SSD and installed Windows 10 to it. Screenshot - 4088ea7e17f1f494fa39ca300dc6e2c2 - Gyazo Does this look correct? Or do i have some remnants from the old os or something because i have those system reserveds on the hdd. Or is it normal to have those....