Windows 10: Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT

Discus and support Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just added a 4TB disk to my Dell Precision T7500 workstation (running Windows 10 Pro, version 1809) and took the options in Disk Management to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by haggis999, Jun 29, 2019.

1. haggis999 Win User

Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT

I have just added a 4TB disk to my Dell Precision T7500 workstation (running Windows 10 Pro, version 1809) and took the options in Disk Management to use GPT instead of MBR and to create a new Simple Volume. Despite this, the disk is displayed as having only 2TB of unallocated space. No other type of space is listed.

I've tried searching for a solution but all I have found so far are recommendations to use GPT, which I have already done. What am I missing here?

:)

haggis999, Jun 29, 2019

2. OS on MBR, other disks GPT

Hi,

Problem

I don't see the Data Disks in the Windows Explorer

History: What I had before the problem occurred (worked fine)

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 4 Partitions / used as Windows Home Server OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk

What I actually have

• Disk 0: 450GB / NTFS / 2 Partitions / used as Windows 10 Pro OS Disk
    • Disk 1: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 2: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    • Disk 3: 4TB / GPT / Used as Data Disk
    What I see in the Windows Disk Management

• Disk 0: Basic, Online

System Reserved, 500MB NTFS, Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition)

(CDisk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT :), 465 GB NTFS, Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    • Disk 1: Basic, Online

2048 GB, Healthy (GPT Protective Partition)

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 2: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 3: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    • Disk 4: Basic, Online

1678 GB, Unallocated
    What I see in the Windows Explorer

• Local Disk (CDisk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT :)
    What am I doing wrong?

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

MarcWampfler, Jun 29, 2019
  3. Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jun 29, 2019
  4. seejp Win User

external hard drive showing up in device management but not disk management

Hi,

I recently tried to use a brand new Seagate 2TB External HD, but it is not showing up. It initially showed up, but after I tried reformatting it to exFAT32, it disappeared from the disk management list.

I then tried:

• refreshing the disk management list,
    • inserting into a different USB port,
    • re-starting my computer, and
    • uninstalling the device from device manager/letting it refresh,

I still can't see it. There is no yellow error in the USB controller list.

I'm on Windows 10.

Intel i5-3317U @ 1.7GHz

Any suggestions? Thanks!

seejp, Jun 29, 2019
Thema:

1. Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT - Similar Threads - Disk Management shows

2. Convert to GPT Disk Grayed Out in Windows Disk Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert to GPT Disk Grayed Out in Windows Disk Management: I have initialized a new disk D which is not boot disc C as MBR, but after reading online it seems better to initialize at GPT as im running windows 11. However, when i attempt to convert from the disk from MBR to GPT in disk management, the GPT option is grayed out.Note, i...
  3. Convert to GPT Disk Grayed Out in Windows Disk Management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert to GPT Disk Grayed Out in Windows Disk Management: I have initialized a new disk D which is not boot disc C as MBR, but after reading online it seems better to initialize at GPT as im running windows 11. However, when i attempt to convert from the disk from MBR to GPT in disk management, the GPT option is grayed out.Note, i...
  4. Does not show unallocated disk on disk management for a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Does not show unallocated disk on disk management for a new SSD: I have installed a new SSD. On my bios setting it show a new SATA drive, but disk management does not show any of unallocated disk so that I was enable to initialise it. What can I do? Please help me....
  5. Does not show unallocated disk on disk management for a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Does not show unallocated disk on disk management for a new SSD: I have installed a new SSD. On my bios setting it show a new SATA drive, but disk management does not show any of unallocated disk so that I was enable to initialise it. What can I do? Please help me....
  6. Cannot access disk despite disk showing on diskmgmt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access disk despite disk showing on diskmgmt: I'm trying to access files left on a drive with Ubuntu installed on it. However, when trying to access it through explorer, the disk doesn't appear. This is despite the disk appearing on Disk Manager, which means Windows does acknowledge the drive's existence.When selecting...
  7. 4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4tb Hard drives showing as 2tb: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (2009, 19042.985) Version: 10.0.19042 I have 2 Seagate Barracuda drives that only show as 2tb. They are gpt. This is since using them in raid in nas. tried everything in this thread Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT...
  8. Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Management shows new 4TB disk as 2TB despite using GPT: I have just added a 4TB disk to my Dell Precision T7500 workstation (running Windows 10 Pro, version 1809) and took the options in Disk Management to use GPT instead of MBR and to create a new Simple Volume. Despite this, the disk is displayed as having only 2TB of...
  9. GPT disks

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    GPT disks: Converted 2 drives to GPT (using diskpart utility from the "repair Windows"section of installation dvd) after deleting and removing all partitions and volumes. Windows showed the 4TB drive as being the full size so it had been converted. After windows installed both drives...
  10. WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WIN10 2TB HDD not showing up Disk management: Hey guys, I´ve been googeling this for a few days and can not seem to find the answer. So here goes... Problem: I have a 2TB seagate barracuda HDD that is not showing up in: - disk management - CMD -> diskpart -> list disk It does show up in: - device manager -...