Windows 10: Disk management shows no media for usb drive

Discus and support Disk management shows no media for usb drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just got a new usb drive, plugged it into my computer, and tried formatting it to ntfs. I got an error that said something like "formatting is taking... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by AB_365, Aug 20, 2019.

1. AB_365 Win User

Disk management shows no media for usb drive

I just got a new usb drive, plugged it into my computer, and tried formatting it to ntfs. I got an error that said something like "formatting is taking too long; disk could not be formatted" but i dont remember exactly what it said. now whenever i plug in the drive, it shows up for a second in my computer and then is greyed out. in disk management and diskpart it shows up as no media. is there anything i can do to fix it? i don't care about data recovery. things i have already tried:

uninstalling/reinstalling device with device manager

use a different usb port

use diskpart to clean disk (says "virtual disk service error: there is no media in the device")

use diskpart to create volume simple ("a disk specified is not dynamic. please specify a dynamic disk and try again.")

uses disk part to create partition primary ("No usable free extent could be found. It may be that there is insufficient

free space to create a partition at the specified size and offset. Specify

different size and offset values or don't specify either to create the

maximum sized partition. It may be that the disk is partitioned using the MBR disk

partitioning format and the disk contains either 4 primary partitions, (no

more partitions may be created), or 3 primary partitions and one extended

partition, (only logical drives may be created).")

is there anything else i can try? (i've probably tried other things and am forgetting...) is there hope for recovery for this drive, or is it dead for good?

any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

AB_365, Aug 20, 2019

2. Disk Management Shows USB Drive but All Tasks are Grayed Out

Hi Chris,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing with Diskpart. I will certainly help you.

I appreciate your efforts in troubleshooting the USB drive.

Please follow the below steps:

• Check if you see USB drive in file explorer.
    • If yes, please refer to the below link to create a recovery media:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...3a5-a286-9e98f886d490/create-a-recovery-drive

If the issue still persists, try repairing the USB disk and check if it helps.
    Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows logo key + X key and select
      Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type diskpart and hit Enter.
    • Type list disk and hit Enter.
    • Repair the USB by type command repair disk= disk no. (Ex, if USB disk show at 3 then type repair disk=3)

After repairing the disk try creating system recovery drive again and check if it helps

Please reach back to us, if you still face difficulty with Diskpart. We will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Mayank_Bhiwal, Aug 20, 2019
  3. Lazzer408 Win User
    help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Aug 20, 2019
  4. Gino Des Win User

My USB Backup drive does not show in My Computer window.

Hi Meran,

A few possible reason can cause your external drive to not show in File Explorer. To diagnose and fix this issue, we suggest that you check the Disk Management window. To open it, follow the steps below:

• Right-click on the Start button.
    • Select Disk Management.
    • Alternatively, you can search diskmgmt.msc in Cortana.

Examine the list of drives in the Disk Management window and look for your external drive. Even if it doesn’t show up in File Explorer, it should appear here. If the drive appears, it may not be appearing in File Explorer because it needs to be assigned
    a drive letter. To do this, right-click the partition on the drive in Disk Management and select
    Change Drive Letter and Paths.

If you don’t see the drive in the Disk Management window at all, we suggest that you try connecting the drive to a different USB port or use a different USB cable. We also recommend that you avoid using USB hubs, and connect the drive directly to your computer.

If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to post a reply.

Gino Des, Aug 20, 2019
Thema:

1. Disk management shows no media for usb drive - Similar Threads - Disk management shows

2. pen drive no media showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pen drive no media showing in disk management: Sir,My Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 OS Build 19045. 3996 Pendrive Showing No Media in disk management & no open in this pc,i am send screenshotplease help me....
  3. pen drive no media showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    pen drive no media showing in disk management: Sir,My Windows 10 Home Version 22H2 OS Build 19045. 3996 Pendrive Showing No Media in disk management & no open in this pc,i am send screenshotplease help me....
  4. pen drive no media showing in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. removable drive disk management no media error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    removable drive disk management no media error: hi,I plugged in my USB device and got an error message: removable drive disk management no media. No such issues before. What can I do to fix it? Device manager can detect my drive....
  6. removable drive disk management no media error

removable drive disk management no media error: hi,I plugged in my USB device and got an error message: removable drive disk management no media. No such issues before. What can I do to fix it? Device manager can detect my drive....
  7. USB Flash Drive not being shown in file Explorer and is showing as No Media in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Flash Drive not being shown in file Explorer and is showing as No Media in Disk Management: I've a USB Flash Drive which quite old and has a space 4gb. However when i tried to use it, it never showed up in File Explorer.When I checked in Disk Management it showed No Media for the USB.Is there any way to repair my usb?I'm ready to erase it's data alsoPS: I Think it...
  8. USB Flash Drive not being shown in file Explorer and is showing as No Media in Disk Management

USB Flash Drive not being shown in file Explorer and is showing as No Media in Disk Management: I've a USB Flash Drive which quite old and has a space 4gb. However when i tried to use it, it never showed up in File Explorer.When I checked in Disk Management it showed No Media for the USB.Is there any way to repair my usb?I'm ready to erase it's data alsoPS: I Think it...
  9. USB Flash Drive not being shown in file Explorer and is showing as No Media in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. usb flash disk not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    usb flash disk not showing up in disk management: my usb flash drive is not showing in disk management how can I solve this in windows 10? It is a 2TB drive, it shows in device manager and states that it is working but when you click on it, it says no media is found on this drive....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. please specify a dynamic disk