Windows 10: Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

Discus and support Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Coastalguy, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I have 6 partitions on my hard drive. Under Disk Management, when I select a partition and then "Shrink" all but one shows the total capacity correctly, along with the amount to shrink and then the remaining that will be left. However on one partition, when selecting shrink, the total capacity is the sum of the total plus the free, and not just the total capacity. As such, I cannot shrink this volume without an error. The capacity is about 350GB with the free about 200GB. When I select shrink, the total of the volume shows 550GB instead of 350GB. The correct capacity of 350GB shows correctly on the Disk Management listing and boxes on the initial screen and also under Properties on the File Manager. It is only when selecting the shrink option that it shows 550GB.

:)

Coastalguy, Jun 5, 2017

2. Can't Shrink proper volume

Hi,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

I understand that you want to shrink the C drive. I will try to help you with this issue.

Your efforts to work on this issue is very much appreciated.

Please answer this question to get more clarity on this issue:

• Which program or application are you using to shrink the C drive?

If you are logged in as an administrator, you can repartition your hard disk by using the Shrink feature in
    Disk Management. You can shrink an existing partition or volume to create unallocated disk space, from which you can create a new partition or volume. (Note that the terms partition and volume are often used interchangeably).

Suggest you to refer to the reply posted by “trbogt” from this thread to check if that helps.

SHRINK C VOLUME TO SMALLER CAPACITY

Note:

If you have multiple partitions on your hard disk, you can delete and create partitions from the resulting unallocated space. When you delete a partition, all data on the partition is erased.

You can also repartition hard disks with another partitioning program. Several third-party software providers offer programs that allow you to repartition your hard disk without erasing data.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Jun 5, 2017
  3. Disk Management not working in W10

Technique: go into disk management on W10 and click on shrink volume, I left the program determine the amount and clicked ok. As stated it acted like it was doing it but wasn't. No error codes. Nothing wrong with my backup HD because it shrunk it using
    W7.

Jim K of MD, Jun 5, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

I would suggest some sort of fixmbr command that won't reformat the drive. Maybe other people have more suggestions on how to do it without it erasing files from your drive.

pepanee, Jun 5, 2017
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Jun 5, 2017
  6. Actually I have EaseUS Partition Manager Pro, but my problem is on my sister's PC 2 states away, who isn't very computer literate. Do you think chkdsk might fix the problem running from a cmd window?

Coastalguy, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity

1. Disk Management Shrink Volume wrong capacity - Similar Threads - Disk Management Shrink

2. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  3. C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    C: drive capacity shows wrong size in File Explorer and Disk management: ok, I know I have see other posts and I have tried all of those suggestions that supposably worked. But not in my case.I am running a W2K12R2 server. The C: drive initially had 2.5GB left so I added 21GB via VMWare Sphere. The, in Disk Management, I extended the volume. I did...
  4. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    hard disk capacity shows wrong size: Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to...
  5. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard disk capacity shows wrong size: Hi,I've a problem with updating Windows 10 Pro, since it claims that my HDD is full, but actually it is not.Basically different built-in HDD tools show different information please see below.The storage manager itself shows contradicting information, it is file sizes seem to...
  6. hard disk capacity shows wrong size

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. No option to shrink partition in Disk Management

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No option to shrink partition in Disk Management: Hi, I've got a question about my Windows 10 Home laptop. I don't use it as much now but I thought about a scenario where I can install another copy of Windows 10 on a new partition (it's a 1tb SSD) to use as testing for Windows Insider builds - I've had a look around on this...
  8. Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume

Disk capacity lost after Shrink Volume: Dear MS Community Members, My disk capacity disappeared 150GB after I shrink 150GB of space from my E: drive. Pls refer to the picture attached, in Computer Management, you can easily see the 150GB differences in the E: drive. The explorer also showed 433GB only. I...
  9. Shrinking a volume

Shrinking a volume: I'm having trouble trying to shrink a volume on an external hard drive. The Disk Management dialog window asks for the number of megabytes I want to reduce. Every time I try a number I get a "wrong perameter" error. Why?...
  10. Disk management fails to shrink volume

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk management fails to shrink volume: I want to shrink the G: volume but Disk Management shows the following error after the "Querying available shrink space ..." message: "An unexpected error has occurred. Check the System Event Log for more information on the error. Close the Disk Management console, then...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my hard disk is showing 650 gb free but for shrinking it is showing 2543 mb only

2. windows report wrong capacity explorer after shrink

3. windows shrink volume free space wrong