Windows 10: Disk Manager Drives number confusion!

Discus and support Disk Manager Drives number confusion! in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This is for a brand new build. Specs; Component Make Model M.2 SSD Samsung (MZ-V6E500BW) 500GB 960 EVO PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive Case... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by scopio, Jan 24, 2019.

1. scopio Win User

Disk Manager Drives number confusion!

This is for a brand new build.
    Specs;
    Component Make Model
    M.2 SSD Samsung (MZ-V6E500BW) 500GB 960 EVO PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid
    State Drive
    Case Corsair Obsidian 750D AirFlow Full Tower ATX
    Processor AMD AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Gen2 8 Core AM4
    Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX AMD Ryzen X470-F GAMING AM4 ATX
    Memory Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO Black 16GB 3200 MHz DDR4
    PSU Corsair HX850i 850W Full Modular
    GPU AMD Radeon RX 590 Red Devil 8GB GDDR5
    HDD Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA 3 Hard Disk Drive/HDD
    ST1000DM010
    Optical Drive ASUS x24 DVD/CD Re-Writer with M-DISC Support
    Wi-Fi PCI-E Card ASUS
    PCE-AC88 AC3100 Dual-Band Wi-Fi PCIe
    Adapter
    Liquid cooler Corsair Hydro H150i PRO RGB
    Fan Single Pack Corsair ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic
    Levitation Fan
    Twin Fan Pack Corsair ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic
    Levitation Fan + Lighting Hub
    Fan Controller Corsair Commander PRO Digital Fan and RGB Lighting
    Controller
    Monitor Samsung C27F390 27-Inch Curved LED Monitor
    - HDMI
    Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Commander PRO Corsair Commander PRO Digital Fan and RGB Lighting
    Controller
    Fans Corsair 120mm Corsair ML
    Series ML120, Dual Pack, 7 Blade, Premium Magnetic Levitation Fans
    Lighting Strips Corsair RGB Lighting PRO Expansion Kit Strips for
    Commander PRO/Lighting Node PRO
    Yesterday I posted in the Installation and Upgrade board a
    problem I came across with trying to install Windows Home to a M.2 SSD which I
    have now solved by enabling the CSM "Boot from PCI-E Expansion
    Drives" from Legacy to UEFI First on the BIOS which was not enabled.

Disk Manager Drives number confusion! [​IMG]

Windows is installed on the M.2 SSD which is set on the BIOS
    as Boot Option 1 and the HDD is set as Boot Option 2.

Now normally in Disk Management the C: drive is shown as Disk 0 and other drive as Disk 1 etc.

My question is if someone can clarify if C: shown as Disk 1
    rather than Disk 0 is normal or have I done something wrong?

:)

scopio, Jan 24, 2019

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Disk Manager Drives number confusion! :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jan 24, 2019
  3. Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jan 24, 2019
  4. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Jan 24, 2019
Thema:

1. Disk Manager Drives number confusion! - Similar Threads - Disk Manager Drives

2. Confusion with version numbers

in Windows 10 Support
    Confusion with version numbers: Updated Win 10 Pro to 21H1, but it still shows 2009. Also did the same with my laptop which has Win 10 Home. It shows the correct version, as well as it is possible to copy and paste the system info using the conveniently placed copy buttons. With the Pro version, I must copy...
  3. Adding a second drive and disk numbers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Adding a second drive and disk numbers: I recently built a PC with only an SSD. Now I added an HDD for storage. I thought before adding the HDD that the SSD was Disk 0 because it was the only drive. But after initializing the HDD it became Disk 0 and the SSD is now Disk 1. Is this normal behavior or did something...
  4. Adding a second drive and disk numbers

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Adding a second drive and disk numbers: I recently built a PC with only an SSD. Now I added an HDD for storage. I thought before adding the HDD that the SSD was Disk 0 because it was the only drive. But after initializing the HDD it became Disk 0 and the SSD is now Disk 1. Is this normal behavior or did something...
  5. C: and D: drive/Disk management

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    C: and D: drive/Disk management: Hi, I am having problems with my C: and D: drives. I know little about computers, and I've been trying to solve this on my own for 2 days now. I want to merge C: drive 222 GB using D: drive 1.81 TB, but the problem is that C: is on Disk 1 while D: is on Disk 0. I don't think...
  6. Disk Management confusion

Disk Management confusion: Hey guys, So i was trying to use dual OS on my computer when i came across the disk management page when many doubts came to me. In "This PC" i can see Local Disk C: 106Gb, Local Disk E: 107Gb, Local Disk F: 78Gb. In the disk management i can see the above 3 and System...
  7. Monitor IDs/Numbers Confusion

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Monitor IDs/Numbers Confusion: I have a Gigabyte Laptop with Intel HD Graphics. In addition to the built in display I have a TV attached via HDMI and a Dell U2913WM via VGA port. The Intel Graphics Properties Setting allows me to specify which is the primary display and this is set to Number 1. I have set...
  8. Disk Management for External SSD drive

Disk Management for External SSD drive: I bought a Samsung 500 GB SSD T5 and I'd like to use it without the Samsung app, just as an external drive. Disk management shows it as a 42 MB partition. I'd like to delete this partition and reclaim the rest of my 500 GBs but nothing I do will allow this. Is this an...
  9. Disk Manager Drives number confusion!

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Manager Drives number confusion!: This is for a brand new build. Specs; Component Make Model M.2 SSD Samsung (MZ-V6E500BW) 500GB 960 EVO PCI Express 3.0 x4 NVMe Solid State Drive Case Corsair Obsidian 750D AirFlow Full Tower ATX Processor AMD AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Gen2 8 Core AM4 Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX AMD...
  10. New Build - 4 drives - disk management confusion

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Build - 4 drives - disk management confusion: Built a new system with 4 drives as can be seen in screenshot below. Loaded Windows 10 to my 970 EVO SSD "C" drive. 2 WD HHD drives are good. Am confused as to what happened to my 860 EVO SSD drive. I took the assigned letter, E, which is fine - but it shows the rest of the...