Windows 10: Disk mirroring broken and not working, trying to save existing installation

Discus and support Disk mirroring broken and not working, trying to save existing installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; HI All, I have a current Win10 install and setup disk mirroring thinking that if a SSD went bad, that I would have the other. Well something happened... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by L1p50too., Jan 24, 2021.

1. L1p50too. Win User

Disk mirroring broken and not working, trying to save existing installation

HI All,

I have a current Win10 install and setup disk mirroring thinking that if a SSD went bad, that I would have the other. Well something happened and the disk mirror broke. The system froze and I rebooted, then it would only go into the automatic repair loop and nothing else was working. I even tried a reset but that seemed to strart to do its thing, then it undid it self it actually said "undoing".

Is there any way that I can install Win10 and have it "utilize" the original data?

I am able to access all the data via some utilities, but I don't understand the partitioning that the ssd was setup with. I've tried using a single ssd and boot, both ssd's seem fine and they both act the same way with the automated repair kicking in but not being able to fix the issue. I am assuming that the issue is with the way the system sees the initial part of the ssd or the boot imgage initial partition is very small, less than a meg partition.

I downloaded a win10 image using the create install media tool thinking that if I ran it, it would "see" the existing installation and ask if I wanted to do anything with it, but no joy, no upgrade function is grayed out because the application is originating from new boot media, only gives me the option for a new install.

I thought I did create one of those emergency backup discs, but can't find it FYI.

Any ideas? I just want to save myself a week of time in rebuilding a new win10 install then having to reinstall everything, re-license, get it all configured the way I like it, blah blah blah...

Thanks for reading.

:)

L1p50too., Jan 24, 2021

2. Disk mirror failed redundancy: Remove mirror or reactivate volume?

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The cause for Failed Redundancy would be that half, but not both halves, of a mirrored volume was imported. In Disk Management, the imported half of the mirrored volume receives Failed Redundancy status, while the disk that holds the
    half of the mirror that was not imported receives Missing status. You can import the Missing disk at a later time to restore redundancy.

The solution for Failed Redundancy is to move all disks that span this volume to the new computer at the same time, and then import all of the disks together.

The complete solution is giving in the section A mirrored volume's status is Data Not Redundant from
    Troubleshooting Disk Management.

You may also refer the section A dynamic disk's status is Offline or Missing from the above article and try the troubleshooting steps.

If you are still facing any issues related to Mirroring, then I suggest you to post your query in
    IT Pro TechNet forums, where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Hard Disk Mirroring.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Shafeeq_Khan, Jan 24, 2021
  3. Formatting a mirrored 6TB disk not possible?

HI,

I have done that but it does not work as with all the other disks I had mirrored earlier.

Do you have other suggestions?

Reinhard_DK, Jan 24, 2021
  4. Disk mirroring broken and not working, trying to save existing installation

Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive

@Samuria
    That is not really a mirror. That is a backup copy that must be done independently of saving a file. I am basically looking for a software based RAID 1 option. This could be done in Windows 7 with an existing drive. Can it be done in Windows 10 with an existing drive?

primem0ver, Jan 24, 2021
Thema:

Disk mirroring broken and not working, trying to save existing installation

1. Disk mirroring broken and not working, trying to save existing installation - Similar Threads - Disk mirroring broken

2. Create a Mirroring for existing volumesay F: drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a Mirroring for existing volumesay F: drive: Create a Mirroring for existing volumesay F: drive using powershell storagespace and after completion of mirroring remove the initial disk that was used by F drivei.e remove mirroringI have tried with diskpart and Disk Management Tool, these are interactive tools. i wanted to...
  3. Cannot create mirrored disks

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot create mirrored disks: I need to mirror two 2TB drives, including the C: drive with Windows. Neither Disk Management nor Storage Places provide any solutions. In Disk Management, right clicking Disk 1 shows most options grayed out, including New Spanned Volume..., New Striped Volume... and no...
  4. Cannot create mirrored disks

Cannot create mirrored disks: I need to mirror two 2TB drives, including the C: drive with Windows. Neither Disk Management nor Storage Places provide any solutions. In Disk Management, right clicking Disk 1 shows most options grayed out, including New Spanned Volume..., New Striped Volume... and no...
  5. Disk Mirror - Backup

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Mirror - Backup: I have a question I want to mirror the primary C: drive using another internal SSD using the disk management tool. I want to have an exact mirror Is this recommended or should I image or clone the drive using an external HDD. Second question is the mirror two way or one way?...
  6. random disk mirror fail?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    random disk mirror fail?: hi, ive had two hdds mirrored for about a year. yesterday i was doing something and randomly right clicked on the start button. ive use win10 since it was released and i just realized that gives you options to open all kinds somewhat hidden menus like the disk management...
  7. Does installing over an existing broken installation repair it?

Does installing over an existing broken installation repair it?: I have this problem with VLC Player where it got broken during an update and now I can't even uninstall it. I was wondering, if I ran the installer and installed over the existing installation (same folder), would that repair the broken installation? In other words, would...
  8. Windows10 Disk Mirroring Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows10 Disk Mirroring Issue: Dear Team Greetings from Hilton Luxor environment!!! Can you please help me for the below error message as I am trying to configure Windows10 PC to a mirror disk. The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID and is...
  9. Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive: I have two important data drives that I had mirrors of in Windows 7. When I got a new system and moved the drives over to my Windows 10 computer, the mirror did not stay synced as expected. I don't remember exactly what happened (it was back in May) but I thought I fixed the...
  10. Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Mirroring Issues: Create Mirror of existing drive: I have two important data drives that I had mirrors of in Windows 7. When I got a new system and moved the drives over to my Windows 10 computer, the mirror did not stay synced as expected. I don't remember exactly what happened (it was back in May) but I thought I fixed the...