Windows 10: Disk Missing Some Space

Discus and support Disk Missing Some Space in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; my laptop have 256 SSD btwi calculate every space taken there and those files only taken 200gb while the free files is 38 so wheres my 18 gb?, is it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JuristienAgung, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Disk Missing Some Space

my laptop have 256 SSD btwi calculate every space taken there and those files only taken 200gb while the free files is 38 so wheres my 18 gb?, is it some system files that is not included there or what

:)

JuristienAgung, Aug 2, 2021
  2. keakar Win User

help missing disk space

ok guys thanks, I guess its my internet then and not the link, internets been buggy all weekend going in and out.

it was windows recommended to be 12gb but I had it set to 8gb virtual memory set for all drives so I reset it to 2gb like you suggested but im missing 150gb so a handful of gb here and there isn't solving this thing but I do appreciate the help and it is doing good to fix these settings

I think this was it.

it was default set to use up to 50% of disk space so that was it. I reset it to only use 5% and now I have 465gb with 316 gb free which is more like it.

keakar, Aug 2, 2021
  3. cheesy999 Win User
    help missing disk space

It's system restore points and indexing information

cheesy999, Aug 2, 2021
  4. keakar Win User

Disk Missing Some Space

help missing disk space

ok I had my computer nice and cleaned up and thought I was done with this problem but next thing you know I see my free disk space is at bare minimum and the used disk space is full again when I didn't add anything to the computer except adding around 3gb of old 2005 games like original first version COD to it. now im back with 135 gb of disk space missing again.

I have a 500gb ssd drive that shows 419gb available with 155gb free space left yet as you see by the list below I only have 135gb of stuff I put on the computer in data and software yet there is a huge 135gb of system volume that should not be there. this system volume file needs to go so where the hell did it come from and how do I get rid of it? windows is wanting to shut down some of windows features because my computer is running slow due to limited disk space.

I ran the "treesize" utility and it says this:

134.3gb system volume <<<<<<<<<<<<< this is the problem
    68.3gb users
    24.4gb program files x86
    20.9gb windows
    13.9gb (3 files) - (11.9gb hiberfile, 2.0gb pagefile, 4.0kb ststag.bin)
    2.7gb games
    1.5gb program files
    1.2gb programdata
    163.6 recovery
    16.8mb recycle bin

I never had so much freakin trouble withwindows setting fire to any remaining unused disk space like this.

and here is the strangest part, I had 158gb of free disk space so I ran disk cleanup and told it to cleanup system files and after it did that I only had 155gb free space so I LOST 3gb of space by cleaning up the system files!!!!!!!!!!!!

also I rechecked system restore and it was still set at 5% so I turned it off completely and it made no difference in free disk space.

why the hell is my computer doing this and how the hell do I destroy whatever is doing it, I mean nuke it forever so I don't end up back with this problem again?

after everything we discussed earlier in the thread I did a fresh format and brand new install then made sure all the points we discussed were covered and I had 112gb used space on the disk with right at or just below 300gb free space left so I made a complete backup of the system and stored it on a secondary drive. I figured it would stay like that as long as I left everything alone which I did but its all gone now once again.

so sure, I can just restore the computer with the system backup utility to go back to 112gb on the drive again like it was last week but in another week I am just going to have this very same issue again if I cant kill whatever is storing massive gb of data for no reason and using up all my drive space.

I have a 500gb drive and nothing but a few excel and word documents on it and a handful of outdated games yet my computer has no disk space left for windows to even function properly

keakar, Aug 2, 2021
Thema:

Disk Missing Some Space

1. Disk Missing Some Space - Similar Threads - Disk Missing Space

2. Disk space missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Disk space missing: Hi there! So one day i noticed that my disk is almost full like there were 29 GB freespace and i calculated all files on disk and hidden ones too and there were like 90 GB of files and my disk is 225GB so on main page when you click pc you see disk space there were alots of...
  3. not enough disk space c drive missing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    not enough disk space c drive missing: not enough disk space when i try to reinstall windows 10 tried to download tool and c drive is missing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/not-enough-disk-space-c-drive-missing/26f11500-ed4f-43d9-8c87-1b5320dbae27
  4. D disk space missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    D disk space missing: So I have had my PC for about 2 years now and this is a newly discovered problem. My D disk shows that there is 363 GB of free space, but when I add up the files that are currently on my D disk there is 132 GB of used storage. Then it should be shown that there is 604 GB of...
  5. Spanned Disk - Missing Space

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Spanned Disk - Missing Space: Hello, I have created a spanned disk consisting of two 1TB drives so the total space is 2TB. But after having only used 1TB of space the disk appears as full. Any idea why this is happening? Thanks submitted by /u/esfomeado [link] [comments]...
  6. Missing disk space after resetting windows 10

Missing disk space after resetting windows 10: Hi all, I had 3 main partitioned drives before full resetting windows 10 (factory reset). After that, I have just C: now and its capacity is 170GB although my hard is 1 TB. I cannot shrink it more than 80GB!!!! Where did all that space go???????!!!!!! There is no...
  7. windows update and missing disk space

windows update and missing disk space: does anyone know if Microsoft released the update that takes half of your disk space for its use? I had 25GB left on my surface pro 3 now I have less than half of that. if this is the case is there anyway of getting it back. I did disk clean up and I deleted everything...
  8. missing disk space

in Windows 10 Customization
    missing disk space: Have a laptop with a small SSD (29GB) and system 10. File Explorer shows C: with less than 1GB of free space. WinDirStat shows C: at 15.6 GB. Run disk cleanup with little to no gain. Run chkdsk and found nothing to repair. Could some settings be the issue, any ideas?...
  9. Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated?

Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space unallocated?: Is it advisable to leave some of the hard disk space, say 1 GB or 2GB or ...... unallocated. Is there any benefit or harm. 26991
  10. Disk space usage info missing - Win 10

Disk space usage info missing - Win 10: In Win 10, when I view all my drives in "This PC", one of the drives is missing its disk space usage info. The disk space bar is present but not the info showing the actual amount free. (screenshot attached) Any advice to fix this would be appreciated. Thanks! 101359