Windows 10: Disk partition disappeared after CHKDSK

Discus and support Disk partition disappeared after CHKDSK in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have 3 HDDs and have each formatted with 2 partitions: OS and data, 500 GB in each partition. I wanted to increase the size of the data partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MuzzaB91, Mar 18, 2021.

1. MuzzaB91 Win User

Disk partition disappeared after CHKDSK

I have 3 HDDs and have each formatted with 2 partitions: OS and data, 500 GB in each partition.

I wanted to increase the size of the data partition by 300 GB for one of the HDDs something I have done before with no trouble. I decreased the size of the OS partition which as expected left an unassigned 300 GB space then increased the size of the data partition by using that space. It gave me the following in Disk Management:

Disk 1: 100 MB Healthy EFI F: 200 GB Healthy G: 300 GB Healthy G: 500 GB Healthy

I thought that was odd to have 2 "G" drives, but in Explorer -> "This PC" it appeared as a single G: drive of 800 GB and worked just fine files were present and I could copy new files to it.

A day or so later, after booting, CHKDSK ran for many hours about 6, repairing thousands of lost fragments and setting thousands of indexes.

After all that, the G: partition disappeared entirely, and it now has the following in Disk Management:

Disk 1: 100 MB Healthy EFI F: 1000 GB Healthy

Of course, all the data files have disappeared and "This PC" says there are about 840 GB free of 1000 GB.

I ran a SMART analysis and it reports there is nothing wrong with the actual disk.

DISKPART gives the following for that disk:

DISKPART> select disk 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 System 100 MB 1024 KB

Partition 2 Reserved 128 MB 101 MB

Partition 3 Primary 931 GB 229 MB

Of course I'd like to get the partition back and restore the files, but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

MuzzaB91, Mar 18, 2021
  2. W1zzard Win User

W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Mar 18, 2021
  3. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Disk partition disappeared after CHKDSK :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Mar 18, 2021
  4. Disk partition disappeared after CHKDSK

Unable to recover missing partition: Error “You need to format the disk in Drive D”

Hi Perfmaster,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I can understand the inconvenience you are experiencing with the missing partition after installing the Update.

1. Do you see a partition showing up as a RAW in disk management?

The possible cause for the Partition loss or Deletion on Windows 10:

1. Sudden power loss can corrupt Windows 10 partitions, as a result, you will not be able to access the data present on it
    2. Sometimes on Windows 10 operating system, converting the dynamic partition to basic type also damage partition table on hard disk drive result in partition loss that leads to huge data disaster
    3. Mistakenly formatting the HDD partition to extend the size of the partition, repartitioning, or unintentionally selecting faulty drive of Windows 10 for formatting thereby you may end up losing all data stored in it and also wipes out your existing
      partition
    4. If you attempt to a dual-boot or multi-boot environment to install and run multiple OS on the same system, then it might damage the existing file system and all the partitions will go missing from Windows 10 PC

However, you may try the below suggested steps to fix the issue.

Run check disk utility

Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive then chkdsk tries to repair that sector, if any data available on that might be lost.

When we encounter this kind of situation, first thing we have to verify if OS is able to detect the file system on the partition on it or not. Best tool to verify this is to run chkdsk in read only mode. To do so,

1. Open Command prompt as administrator.
    2. Type the command: chkdsk (driveletterDisk partition disappeared after CHKDSK :) /r
    3. If you are asked to recover files, select 'Yes'.
    4. If the above command doesn't work try with the command:

Chkdsk (driveletterDisk partition disappeared after CHKDSK :) /f
    5. Restart the computer once and check the status of the issue.
    6. Repeat the same procedure by replacing the drive letter with E, if the above steps helps you to recover the missing partition.

Hope it helps.

Muralidhar

Microsoft Community Moderator

Muralidhar_G, Mar 18, 2021
Thema:

Disk partition disappeared after CHKDSK

1. Disk partition disappeared after CHKDSK - Similar Threads - Disk partition disappeared

2. D disk disappeared, healthy partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    D disk disappeared, healthy partition: Hello, for some reason today mi D disk simply disappeared (disk 0). As you can see in the screenshots I can't change the name, it's a healthy partition, and I also tried refreshing and everything, still nothing. It shows as a normal disk in "disk management" but not in "This...
  3. Disk partition keep disappearing

Disk partition keep disappearing: Sometimes, when I open my laptop, I don't see my D: drive. I restart the laptop and then it starts to show again. Sometimes I have to restart many times to make it appear again. Recently It starts to disappear while I am using the laptop. So when I open the laptop, I see it...
  4. Hard Disk Partitions suddenly disappeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Disk Partitions suddenly disappeared: I had 3 partitions on my Hard disk suddenly disappear, after checking in disk management, the space they occupied appear as free space any way to restore these partitions without reformatting them & what could have caused this[ATTACH]...
  5. Partition disappeared after "locking" shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Partition disappeared after "locking" shutdown: Greetings, Some few days ago, my Windows 10 Tablet/PC suddenly displayed a "locking" blue screen and shut down right after. I believe this happened because the battery was low. Since them, when I turn on the PC, what I see is this screen: [IMG] This is not the first...
  6. partition D of my hard disk disappeared

partition D of my hard disk disappeared: and it become named partition E and some files of old partition E become inseted in it. OLd partition E become partition F. I downloaded lots of tv tuner software and programs from net to find correct tv tuner software. but there s now corruption and i dont know what to do...
  7. CHKDSK checks all disks!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    CHKDSK checks all disks!: Hi Folks, Just a quick question. Windows 10 latest version from the iso. I am running W7 on an SSD but have just performed a new install of W10 onto another HDD. I have 2 additional HDD's which are just used for backup with clones of the W7 disk. All went well for a few...
  8. Chkdsk Logs Partition?

Chkdsk Logs Partition?: Recently I've decided to clean out my Lenovo hard drive from 4 years ago. I noticed Several OEM partitions taking up lots of space( 75GB in total.) So after I deleted a few, there remained one which was only 350 MB which I was not able to do anything with( when I...
  9. Disk partition issue after cloning

Disk partition issue after cloning: Here is my problem. I bought a larger SSD drive to upgrade my main storage on my laptop. I had a 120GB SSD and I went up to a 256GB SDD. On Windows 10 64-bit, I used EaseUS software to clone the disks with the option sector by sector. Something weird has happened. The visual...
  10. Hard disk failed and chkdsk?

Hard disk failed and chkdsk?: I have a disk that mainly contains data files. My disk have bad sectors and some of the files cannot be moved to another disk (it will stuck when moving and never complete 100%), most files are still normal (can read/edit/move). My Macrium reflect software is unable to do a...