Windows 10: Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot

Discus and support Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I had installed Windows 10Pro Ver 1903 on a MBR disk with Legacy Boot and Windows was working fine, but as I had 3 HDDs on my system, the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by The Explorer Guy, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot

Hi,

I had installed Windows 10Pro Ver 1903 on a MBR disk with Legacy Boot and Windows was working fine, but as I had 3 HDDs on my system, the Windows had got installed across 2 HDDs with Windows C: Drive on one HDD and the Boot loader on another HDD. But the PC was booting fine and I had no issues. As my Mobo BIOS had option of UEFI, too, I wanted to change it to UEFI boot without re-installing Windows. Then started a whole deal of reading on various forums and I learnt about using MBR2GPT on Windows platform.

MBR2GPT refused to work in my case as it could not find all of the Windows OS on the same HDD. Then I did more reading and learnt that a UEFI boot can be done on an MBR disk and so I created an EFI partition on the MBR disk and got the Windows to load on an UEFI Boot and was happily using the PC until one day, along came version Upgrade to 1909 with no issues.

My troubles started when MS released Cumulative and other updates after upgrade to Ver.1909. The Updates would automatically install and uninstall on endless loops each day. Back to more reading and I found that for some strange reason MS required the HDD of Windows to be a GPT for a UEFI booting system. The Windows updates were failing because of the GUID Type id of the EFI partition. Mine was an EFI partion on a MBR disk which had a different id and NOT the "c12a7328-f81f-11d2-ba4b-00a0c93ec93b" id that WU was searching for. A clean install was now not an option for me , as we had multiple users on this PC and no way that everything on the disks can be salvaged before a clean install.

So then I was forced to use Third party software to convert the HDD to GPT without Data loss and got the correct GUID id for my EFI system partition. All the Windows updates then got installed without any problems, but up came another problem in the form of Update KB 4535996. The system became so slow at Boot after this update that it took 10-11 Minutes to load to the functional Desktop. Back to more reading at various forums and trying all sorts of suggested fixes, I came to know about the MSR which is created automatically when Windows is installed on a GPT disk for UEFI boot. Since mine was a converted GPT disk it did not have the MSR, which someone suggested could cause issues for future Updates and Feature Upgrades.

Then after some more careful reading I created a 16MB MSR partition, but this has NOT solved my slow boot time issue.

Now I have the following queries.

1 The GPT Disk was NTFS formatted and I used Diskpart with the "create msr partition size=16" command line. I did not put the command for FAT32 partition for the MSR like I did when making the EFI partition - Will that be a problem ? What should be the Format of the MSR partition ?

2 Will the Partition order matter ?

Partition 1 Windows 125GB CDisk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot :Drive- Partition 2 System 100MB EFI boot- Partition 3 MSR 16MB

I set the WinRE to use the Windows in C: Drive and did not create a separate Recovery Partition.

3 Due to slow boot issues, I even converted the other 2 Data HDDs to GPT - Should I create an MSR on these 2 Data HDDs too ?

My current system partition order is given below:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.693]

c 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.18362.1

Copyright C Microsoft Corporation.

On computer: PRATEEK-PC

DISKPART> lis dis

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt

-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---

Disk 0 Online 149 GB 23 GB *

Disk 1 Online 465 GB 2048 KB *

Disk 2 Online 149 GB 1024 KB *

DISKPART> sel dis 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> lis par

Partition ### Type Size Offset

------------- ---------------- ------- -------

Partition 1 Primary 124 GB 101 MB

Partition 2 System 100 MB 125 GB

Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 125 GB

DISKPART> sel dis 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> lis par

Partition 1 Primary 243 GB 1024 KB

Partition 2 Primary 515 MB 243 GB

Partition 3 Primary 221 GB 244 GB

DISKPART> sel dis 2

Disk 2 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> lis par

Partition 1 Primary 79 GB 31 KB

Partition 2 Primary 69 GB 79 GB

DISKPART> lis vol

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info

---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------

Volume 0 J DVD-ROM 0 B No Media

Volume 1 C NTFS Partition 124 GB Healthy Boot

Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy System

Volume 3 E New SATA NTFS Partition 243 GB Healthy

Volume 4 H New Volume NTFS Partition 515 MB Healthy

Volume 5 I New SATA NTFS Partition 221 GB Healthy

Volume 6 F DISK2_VOL7 NTFS Partition 79 GB Healthy

Volume 7 K DISK2_VOL8 NTFS Partition 69 GB Healthy

DISKPART> exit

Leaving DiskPart...

C:\Windows\system32>

Any Help in clarifying the above queries would be of immense help. The PC is booting and working well otherwise.

I now suspect that the problem is with the Update KB 4535996......but I have a separate thread ongoing on that issue

which seems to be going nowhere, at the moment

Thanks !

The Explorer Guy

:)

The Explorer Guy, Mar 9, 2020
  2. AlainCh2 Win User

Disk boot order not correct in UEFI

UPDATE: (solved) solution below.

A little different but same problem.

Evo860 (Old W10 Home-1803)
    Evo970 (New W10 Pro-1903)

I have no idea where the boot partition is located, but the Uefi is on the Evo860 instead of the new Evo970!
    (W10 Pro on Evo960 was a fresh new install)

How to move that, so I can remove the Evo860 from this PC and use it in another?

Any idea out there ?

Alain

Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot [​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

_______________________________S O L U T I O N _______________
    Require Minitool Partition (free) here & EasyUEFI (trial) here.

A)
    Download, install and launch Minitool Partition (free)
    On the drive you want to boot from:
    . resize your Windows Partition making 600MEGA free room at the beginning of the disk
    . create a 500 MEGA partition fat32 ( you can or not assign a temporary letter).
    - remember to hit "APPLY". Changes are not real time and will require a temporary reboot.

B)
    Download, install and launch EasyUEFI (trial)
    . go to: "Manage EFI Partition" |THEN TO| "Rebuild EFI Partition"
    . choose the Disk you want to boot from
    . point to the Windows Partition THEN point to the NEW Partition you've just prepared

Hit rebuild .... you are done !!

C)
    Now Reboot .... AND ..... In BIOS make your - NEW DISK EFI - the first boot choice
    (not EVO970 but "Windows EFI on Evo970" - in my case)

Once in Windows again, using MinitoolPartition,
    you can remove the Temporary letter you may had put on the EFI Partition.

......and enjoy!

Alain

AlainCh2, Mar 9, 2020
  3. No "Windows Boot Manager" entry of Boot Configuration of UEFI for Surface Pro 4

The only way I'm aware Windows Boot Manager will not set itself first to boot on a UEFI System is if it was installed in CSM or Legacy Mode. You can tell this in Disk Management by the presence of the legacy Active flag on System partition and lack of an
    EFI System partition, or type msinfo in Start search to look in System Information at BIOS mode.

Sometimes the settings in the UEFI firmware are sparse and the only determinative for UEFI install is if the installation media is booted as a UEFI device and all partitions deleted down to Unallocated Space to reset if necessary the disk formatting from
    MBR to GPT required for UEFI install.

The normal UEFI settings in BIOS are CSM, Legacy BIOS, UEFI, and under Boot Priority order. If you want to report back those settings choices we can help interpret them.

If the Windows Boot Manager was deleted from the list then you may need to Reset UEFI Firmware to Defaults using that choice wherever it appears - check all tabs.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Mar 9, 2020
  4. Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot

Hard disk partition

You can use diskpart or Disk Management to shrink your Windows partition to make space for other partitions.

If your computer can switch to UEFI BIOS mode, you may want to do that. There is a new utility called MBR2GPT.EXE designed for this, but you have to enable UEFI to be able to boot from a GPT-initialized disk.

You might try running diskpart to check if your disk truly only has one partition or if you are only seeing one and others are hidden. In diskpart, use
    list volume to display volumes, or select disk 0 and then
    list partition to list partitions.

Don Cuthbert, Mar 9, 2020
Thema:

Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot

1. Disk Partition Order for Windows10 Pro - UEFI Boot - Similar Threads - Disk Partition Order

2. SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSD not being detected in boot order in uefi mode: Recently I had a virus attack on my pc which led it to completely wipe my pc including the drive with windows in it. This led me to redownloading windows from from a hdd I had lying around. First that wasnt detected in uefi boot mode but was detected in legacy. So I thought...
  3. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I want to add a second installation of WIN 10 to my laptop with dual boot. I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk...
  4. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order. For additional information about installing to...
  5. Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order when attempting dual boot installation: I’ve made a new partition and created a USB installation drive with the MediaCreationTool. When I go to instal, I select the new partition, but get the following message: "The Partitions on the disk are not in the correct order. For additional information about installing to...
  6. Bios order of boot and UEFI

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Bios order of boot and UEFI: Hi there, what is the optimum order of "boot" you need to set the bios at for a quicker start-up? And where do you place the UEFI component in relation to the actual firmware in the order of boot? Thank you, Robert....
  7. UEFI boot order of disks is not correct

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    UEFI boot order of disks is not correct: I am confused. My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. The boot order does not look right. The first disk that appears...
  8. Disk boot order not correct in UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk boot order not correct in UEFI: My machine, MSI Titan GT80S SLI "Skylake" sometimes takes over a min to boot and sometimes just 30 seconds, weird. I wonder if the boot sequences as defined in UEFI has something to do with it. It does not look right. The first disk that appears there, 860 EVO, is not the...
  9. Leave UEFI boot order for USB first

in Windows 10 Support
    Leave UEFI boot order for USB first: Is there any negative if I decide to leave my boot order so USB disk is first? Except for the obvious, that if a bootable device is installed it will boot, but for normal everyday use, I'd like to leave it set this way. Makes it a lot easier when I want to boot up my Acronis...
  10. Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI

in Windows 10 Support
    Boot Trouble, system partitions and UEFI: Hi, So I thought I'd sling a new disk in my system. And then the OS wasn't seeing it so instead of looking in disk manager I just swapped the cables for my D: drive and powered on. The boot config was missing and Win 10 wouldn't boot. Somehow my D: drive had been set as a...