Windows 10: Disk problems after windows reset

Discus and support Disk problems after windows reset in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Windows 10 Pro PC. Until recently File Explorer showed the following. Local Disk C: - SSD with Windows Local Disk D: - WDC drive with 2794.39... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RogerChung-Wee, Nov 23, 2020.

1. Disk problems after windows reset

I have a Windows 10 Pro PC. Until recently File Explorer showed the following.

Local Disk C: - SSD with Windows
    Local Disk D: - WDC drive with 2794.39 GB capacity for storing data
    Local Disk E: - WDC drive with 2794.39 GB capacity for storing data
    Local Disk F: - WDC drive with 2794.39 GB capacity for storing data
    BD-RE Drive G: - DVD writer

I then had numerous problems such as multiple lines on the screen and failure to boot. So, I did a reset after mistakenly choosing the E drive first, the PC boots up fine but now File Explorer shows this.

Local Disk C: - SSD with Windows
    Local Disk D: - WDC drive with 2794.39 GB capacity, used to be F drive
    BD-RE Drive E: - DVD writer
    System Reserved F: - System Reserved 95 MB capacity contains Boot and Recovery folders
    Local Disk H: - WDC drive with 2794.39 GB capacity, used to be D drive
    System I: - Drive with 100 MB capacity contains Boot folder
    Windows J: - Drive with 2047.39 GB capacity contains folders such as Program Files and files such as pagefile.sys
    Windows RE tools K: - Drive with 522 MB capacity contains Recovery folder

Windows Disk Management gives the following information.

Disk 0 - Basic, 111.79 GB, Online
    System Reserved F: 100 MB NTFS
    Healthy Primary partition

C: 110.74 GB NTFS
    Healthy Boot, Page file, Crash dump, Primary partition

522 MB
    Healthy Active, Recovery partition

455 MB
    Unallocated

Disk 1 - Basic, 2794.39 GB, Online
    H:
    2794.39 GB NTFS
    Healthy Primary data partition

Disk 2 - Basic, 2794.52 GB, Online
    System I:
    100 MB NTFS
    Healthy Active, Primary data partition

Windows J:
    2047.39 GB NTFS

Windows RE tools K:
    522 MB NTFS

764.52 GB Unallocated

Disk 3 - Basic, 2794.39 GB, Online
    D:
    2794.39 GB NTFS
    Healthy Primary data partition

CD-ROM 0
    DVD E:

So, here's what I make of it all.

1. On Disk 0 there is now a System Reserved F: drive, don't know why but I can live with it. It would be nice to get back the 455 MB Unallocated.

2. On Disk 1 the H: drive is fine.

3. On Disk 2 is where I have problems. I don't think I need any of the three drives I:, J: and K: as I think that these were created when I mistakenly chose this drive as the target for Windows reset, and I'd like to get back the 764.52 GB Unallocated. If possible I want to try and recover any data. Furthermore this Disk is no longer GPT and I think I need to reset it to GPT.

4. On Disk 3 the D: drive is fine.

I'd appreciate comments on the above.

:)

RogerChung-Wee, Nov 23, 2020

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Disk problems after windows reset :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Nov 23, 2020
  3. johnhawke Win User
    After hard reset, OS disk showing no volumes/partitions

Hi everyone,

I've searched high and low on Google for the specific issue that I'm having, but I can't seem to figure this out.

About a year ago, I built my own computer. I have my OS (Windows 10) installed on a Plextor M6 256 SSD. Today, for about the fourth time in a year, my computer became unresponsive during normal use. After a forced hard reset, I was taken to a black screen with the 0xc00000e error, telling me that a required device was inaccessible. After a quick Google search, I found many answers saying that this problem was because of a corrupted boot record.

I followed the steps recommended by Microsoft. First, I attempted automated startup recovery. This didn't work. Then I attempted to use bootrec to fix the problem. This resulted in the tool telling me that no Windows installations were detected.

I decided then to open diskpart. The disk itself was detected, but whenever I listed volumes, nothing showed up for that disk. No partitions or volumes were listed.

I've since recovered the drive by flashing a Clonezilla image that I had as a backup, so everything is up and running now. However, I am curious as to why this problem keeps happening. I've downloaded the diagnostic tools from Plextor for my disk, and it says that everything is fine. I've also run a Windows memory diagnostic, which has returned no errors.

My assumption is that the hard reset is causing some kind of partition table corruption. But, that still leaves the issue of why the computer is freezing up to begin with unsolved. Any suggestions/possible causes to investigate would be much appreciated!

johnhawke, Nov 23, 2020
  4. Disk problems after windows reset

Unable to create a reset passowrd wizard disk.

Hi,

This issue may arise due to the corruptions in the USB drive and as an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to use a different USB drive and check if that helps to resolve the issue.

Also follow the below steps to create a password reset disk:

Please be informed that password reset disks apply to local user accounts. If your Windows 10 user account is connected to your Microsoft account, then you can follow the steps outlined here by Microsoft to begin the password
    reset process:
    https://account.live.com/ResetPassword.aspx

Now please refer to the below steps to create a Password recovery disk applicable for Local accounts.

• Log in to your computer under the user account for which you wish to create a password reset disk. Once logged in, connect your USB flash drive to one of your computer’s USB ports.
    • Open the Start menu and type control panel
      into the search. Open the Control Panel by clicking it in the list of search results.
    • In the Control Panel, ensure the View by drop-down at the upper right is set to
      Category. Then click the User Accounts
      link. On the screen that follows, click the User Accounts
      link once more. Doing so will take you to your user account settings.
    • On the left side of the screen, click the link to Create a password reset disk. The password reset disk wizard will open in a new window.
    • In the first screen that opens, click the Next button. In the subsequent screen, select the USB flash drive that you connected to your computer earlier.
    • You’ll be asked to enter your password on the following screen; do so, then click the
      Next button. The wizard will now create your password reset disk.
    • Ensure you keep your password reset disk in a safe place, as anyone with access to your computer can use it to reset the password for that user account.
    Hope the information is helpful. If you need further assistance, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Krishna Prasobh V, Nov 23, 2020
Thema:

Disk problems after windows reset

1. Disk problems after windows reset - Similar Threads - Disk problems reset

2. Problems after resetting windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems after resetting windows 10: My PC won’t let me log into my user through pin, and when I go into safe mode with networking, it takes a long time to load before giving me a white screen with just my cursor and nothing else. When I try to install a new windows from a usb, it doesn’t do anything, and when I...
  3. Disk Resetting after restart Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Resetting after restart Windows 10: When I restart the pc, the files on the disk that I just added are gone, and the disk returns to the way it was before I added the files. For example, I downloaded a game on disk d, and when I restarted my pc, the game file disappeared. How to solve this problem?...
  4. Disk Resetting after restart Windows 10

Disk Resetting after restart Windows 10: When I restart the pc, the files on the disk that I just added are gone, and the disk returns to the way it was before I added the files. For example, I downloaded a game on disk d, and when I restarted my pc, the game file disappeared. How to solve this problem?...
  5. Disk Resetting after restart Windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. After reset problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After reset problem: I cannot see my mouse pointer after windows 10 reset on the continue with selected language screen!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-reset-problem/0c71e008-fe42-4f15-888f-d0608d021cc2
  7. After reset problem

After reset problem: I cannot see my mouse pointer after windows 10 reset on the continue with selected language screen!!! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-reset-problem/0c71e008-fe42-4f15-888f-d0608d021cc2
  8. After reset problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Problems after reset

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems after reset: Just did a windows 10 reset and now the wireless mouse wont work. The mouse device doesn’t even show up in device manager. Neither does bluetooth. Suggestions? This is a Dell desktop submitted by /u/jwbtyt14 [link] [comments]...
  10. Problem after Reset

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem after Reset: I had just reset my computer, in the computer setup phase after I enter my region and language. The whole computer would load for awhile then restart taking me back to the region and language setup. This has been happening for a few days now. Please help!...