Windows 10: Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives

Discus and support Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a LOT of disk drives attached to my desktop under windows 10. I was surprised recently to get a message that there was not enough free space to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PatrickKeating261, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives

I have a LOT of disk drives attached to my desktop under windows 10. I was surprised recently to get a message that there was not enough free space to hold all of the files and folders that I was trying to move. Free space in Explorer said 1.3 TB. Actual free space turned out to be something like 350 GB. I run properties on a folder in the root on a volume and get one number for free and used space. If I select all the folders in that internal folder and select properties I get different number.

I'm running Windows 10 Home with all updates applied. I think this is new (the last 8 months or so) but I could be wrong.

My immediate problem is that I bought a 32 TB server (WD) for my Blu-ray movies and filled it with astonishing speed. I was just trying to confirm or deny that I had less than 1 TB free on a device with 22 TB available under raid5 and I quickly discovered that I couldn't trust the numbers that Explorer is showing me. I also discovered that the problem effects internal drives as well as external ones (USB and Network).

Is this a general problem with Windows 10 and very large drives? Nowadays, only my system drive is smaller than 4 TB.

:)

PatrickKeating261, Nov 18, 2018
  2. AsRock Win User

Lost disk space

Open Control Panel and select c drive and right click it select properties thats the max and use space there.

I'd recommend Treespace to know were ll your space is going great program. You sure you are using the whole disk space of the drive ?. Which you can find out under Disk Management.

AsRock, Nov 18, 2018
  3. My disk space is gone

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Try to run theSystem Maintenance Troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select view all on the top left corner.

• Click System Maintenance,
      follow onscreen instructions.
    I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    For reference:

Tips to free up drive space on your PC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/free-up-disk-space

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Nov 18, 2018
  4. Maria Fab Win User

Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives

Hard Disk Space getting Full

Hello Prempeh,

There are a lot of factors as to why the hard drive is getting full. To verify, may we know what is the make and model of your PC?

Meanwhile, check the suggestions provided in these articles on how to free up some drive space on your PC. See
    Free up drive space in Windows 10 and
    Disk cleanup in Windows 10. Follow the steps provided.

Kindly update us with the results. We'll be glad to help if you need further assistance.

Maria Fab, Nov 18, 2018
Thema:

Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives

1. Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives - Similar Threads - Disk Properties getting

2. Disk Space Used/Free Amounts are Wrong

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Space Used/Free Amounts are Wrong: I have a year-old laptop with a 256 GB SSD hard drive. I added about 4 GB of files. Nothing else. Windows 10 is about 20 GB. But when I checked my disk space - right-clicking on the C: drive - Properties - it says 212 GB used and 9 GB free, for a total of 221 GB. How can that...
  3. Disk Space Used/Free Amounts are Wrong

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Space Used/Free Amounts are Wrong: I have a year-old laptop with a 256 GB SSD hard drive. I added about 4 GB of files. Nothing else. Windows 10 is about 20 GB. But when I checked my disk space - right-clicking on the C: drive - Properties - it says 212 GB used and 9 GB free, for a total of 221 GB. How can that...
  4. Disk Space Used/Free Amounts are Wrong

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Disk Space Wrong!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk Space Wrong!: I tried to download a game today, after a Windows update, and I couldn't. Widows thinks my C: drive only has 26.2 GB from of 465 GB, when I should have 1TB. I don't know what to do. submitted by /u/Dark-Lark [link] [comments]...
  6. Freeing Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  7. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  8. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  9. Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...
  10. Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...