Windows 10: Disk runs at 100% almost all the time

Discus and support Disk runs at 100% almost all the time in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, so my PC is a custom build and has high specs and have always had this 100% disk problem. I have used 3 different antivirus software which hasnt... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LiamStannard, May 17, 2020.

1. Disk runs at 100% almost all the time

Hi, so my PC is a custom build and has high specs and have always had this 100% disk problem. I have used 3 different antivirus software which hasnt detected anything, so dont think it is that. There seems to be alot of updates that happening which could be affecting it or maybe there's a broken file. Another thing I have noticed is that my startup is slow and when I try to chack my BIOS time on taskmanager everything is not measured and last BIOS time is 0.0 seconds?

Thanks

Disk runs at 100% almost all the time 7af2498a-7443-423b-a2a2-d7a2d80a6902?upload=true.png

:)

LiamStannard, May 17, 2020

2. Disk Usage at 100% with nothing running

My PC is running Windows 10 with the latest updates but has suddenly become unusable with disk usage staying at 100% even with nothing running and just the same processes listed in Task Manager as before the problems
    started. I've tried a few suggestions found in online forums - disabling Windows Search and Superfetch, adjusting page file size, etc. but nothing has done the trick yet. I don't have any outside anti-virus software installed. I read about the potential MSI
    issue but don't have IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers listed in the Device Manager. Finally, it seems to boot up normally and will have periods where the disk usage drops and it's usable but those moments are brief and it inevitably goes back up to 100% usage.

TONeill_1313, May 17, 2020
  3. TimGrandt Win User
    Clean install, disk usage at 100%

I've seen that article. and I am in fact not running that driver. I followed the steps and it does not appear in the list.

TimGrandt, May 17, 2020
  4. Disk runs at 100% almost all the time

Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0

This is a problem I've seen reported countless times, on Microsoft support sites and elsewhere. Task Manager shows "Disk Active time 100% Disk transfer rate 0", and everything that's running on the computer freezes, although sometimes you can switch windows,
    or even perform some operations within a window, but other times
    everything freezes, including the mouse pointer. It usually lasts for 30 or 60 seconds, but sometimes it goes on for several minutes. Then it stops and everything goes back to normal, including Disk active time and Disk transfer rate.

It happens regardless of the apps I'm running or the activities I'm doing. I've even seen it happen with no user apps running at all - no browser, no file manager, nothing but background stuff. It happens every single day, regardless of whether there has
    been a Windows update installed.

Microsoft gave me a fix for this problem a week ago, but it didn't work. Here are the steps I followed:

at admin command line prompt:

• Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    • dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    • reboot
    • find driver file for Intel(R) 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller
      • C:\WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\iaStorA.sys
    • Details tab from Properties window for controller
      • Device instance path:
        • PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA
    • find registry key for disk controller
      • Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_9C83&SUBSYS_06B01028&REV_03\3&11583659&0&FA\Device Parameters\Interrupt Management\MessageSignaledInterruptProperties
      • change MSISupported from 1 to 0
    • reboot
    The instructions I was given include this for Step 4: If you see “StorAHCI.sys” in the list, you are running the inbox driver. But my driver is iaStorA.sys, so maybe this
    fix doesn't even apply to me.

After doing all of the above, twice, I still have the problem. I've seen this now over a period of about three years, on two completely different laptops, one a Toshiba running Windows 8.1 and currently on a Dell running Windows 10. I also have a Thinkpad
    for work that runs W7, and I've never seen it happen on that machine. It got so bad on the Toshiba that I ended up discarding it, after spending countless hours trying to fix it.

I've also tried all the fixes I've found on the web, e.g. disable superfetch, disable BITS, add write permissions to Skype and the browser. Nothing I've found so far has helped. I also reverted Windows back to build 1703. That didn't help either.

NicholasCouch, May 17, 2020
Thema:

Disk runs at 100% almost all the time

1. Disk runs at 100% almost all the time - Similar Threads - Disk runs 100%

2. Disk Runs at 100% All the Time?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Runs at 100% All the Time?: My computer runs very slow and struggles to run basic programs such as Spotify, Chrome, or Steam, especially when running multiple programs at once. It seems to be my disk, as it runs at 100% constantly and I don't know why. I've tried troubleshooting on my own, but I'm not...
  3. Disk Runs at 100% All the Time?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Runs at 100% All the Time?: My computer runs very slow and struggles to run basic programs such as Spotify, Chrome, or Steam, especially when running multiple programs at once. It seems to be my disk, as it runs at 100% constantly and I don't know why. I've tried troubleshooting on my own, but I'm not...
  4. Win10 Disk Running 100% Most of the Time

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Disk Running 100% Most of the Time: I've read dozens of posts on here and still not found an answer. I've delayed programs on startup. I've cleaned with defrag. I'm up-to-date on downloads/updates. I've disabled Nortons. Nothing works. It's random that my disk will run at 100%, sometimes for 5 mins sometimes...
  5. Win10 Disk Running 100% Most of the Time

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Disk Running 100% Most of the Time: I've read dozens of posts on here and still not found an answer. I've delayed programs on startup. I've cleaned with defrag. I'm up-to-date on downloads/updates. I've disabled Nortons. Nothing works. It's random that my disk will run at 100%, sometimes for 5 mins sometimes...
  6. 100% disk usage almost all the time

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% disk usage almost all the time: so recently I've noticed everything on my computer become incredibly slow, opening task manager I noticed that my disk usage was at 100% very consistently, usually because of the "system" process, or some other windows related process. after trying basically everything else...
  7. 100% usage of disk all time

100% usage of disk all time: i have a issue of 100% usage of disk shows in task manager all time and i think it slows down my laptop and everything is starts not responding https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-usage-of-disk-all-time/a4ede68e-b4bb-4791-96a6-96d72510f9cf
  8. Hard Disk at 100% all the time

Hard Disk at 100% all the time: Hello... My english is not that good, sorry me please. I think the problem is with Windows Update. When i start my computer it starts downloading updates, it puts the hdd at 100% of use, and makes my computer useless. I have another computer with an ssd and of course this...
  9. Disk usage running at 100% all the time

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk usage running at 100% all the time: My disk is runnig at 100% usage and I have done all I cloud but now I don´t know what to do anymore. I have also checked if it was malware but it´s not....
  10. Disk Usage at 100% All of the Time

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Usage at 100% All of the Time: My computer's disk usage is constantly at 100%. when I check the task manager the most disk intensive process is Service Host: Local System (16) which fluctuates between 20MB/s and 1MB/s. 100506