Windows 10: Disk Space Issue Upgrading Windows 10

Discus and support Disk Space Issue Upgrading Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I am trying to update a tablet with 32GB disk the majority of which is consumed by the operating system leaving me insufficient space. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Dangerous72, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Disk Space Issue Upgrading Windows 10

Hi,

I am trying to update a tablet with 32GB disk the majority of which is consumed by the operating system leaving me insufficient space. I have removed everything that I possibly can and have run clean up and update.

I have a SD card and an external hard drive with sufficient space but no matter what I try the 'fix issues' button to choose one of these drives does not appear so I end up going in a loop.

Please can someone help with how I can get the option 2/fix issues button to appear so I can complete the upgrade

Much appreciated

:)

Dangerous72, Feb 8, 2020

2. Windows 10 upgrade rant..

The free space shouldn't prevent you from upgrading to built 1607. I manually upgraded my own laptop which had only 9gigs free space left on the system drive.

I unzipped the Windows 10 Pro anniversary edition ISO on my D drive, and started the upgrade process from there. At one point the installer complained about not having enough free space on the main drive, i just had to point it to the D drive to proceed to the next step. Now the rollback installation is stored there and doesn't clog up the C drive anymore.

In your case you could insert a large sdcard to act as the required rollback drive, i'm pretty sure it would do the trick.

Oh and by the way, if you want to further compress your System files:
    • do a search Command Prompt, right-click it, and select Run as administrator.
    • Type COMPACT.EXE /CompactOS:always and hit Enter.
    You'll will gain anything from 2 to 4 gigs free space after it's done.

blobster21, Feb 8, 2020
  3. Nordic Win User
    Windows 10 upgrade problem, no input accepted

I really hate having to come here and ask for help, but I really am stumped. It hurts my geek pride. I have a PC with fairly modern hardware in it. It has a p8p67 pro in it. I have tried upgrading windows 10 on it twice now. Both times I have had the same result.

After windows finishes upgrading it goes to the log in/set up screen. I can't do anything. No keyboard or mouse input is accepted.

I will list some, or hopefully all, of the troubleshooting steps I have tried:
    • Move keyboard and mouse to different USB ports.
    • Try different keyboard or mouse.
    • Restart computer, repeatedly.
    • Google for related issues.
    • Update Bios, because why not.
    • Create boot media and revert to windows 7.
    The windows 10 system restore boot media works fine with keyboard and mouse. All USB ports work in windows 7. I don't know what is wrong. I suspect that windows 10 is lacking a driver of some sort, but since the computer accepts no input I have no way of checking for which driver let alone installing it.

Please help me figure this out. If I have to revert back to windows 7 again, I am not going to get it upgraded to windows 10. Thank you in advanced.

Nordic, Feb 8, 2020
  4. Disk Space Issue Upgrading Windows 10

My disk space is gone

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Try to run theSystem Maintenance Troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select view all on the top left corner.

• Click System Maintenance,
      follow onscreen instructions.
    I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    For reference:

Tips to free up drive space on your PC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/free-up-disk-space

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Feb 8, 2020
Thema:

Disk Space Issue Upgrading Windows 10

1. Disk Space Issue Upgrading Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Disk Space Issue

2. Disk Space issues Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Space issues Windows: I've encountered disk space problems on my Windows 10 64-bit system version 22H2. Upon running TreeSize, I've identified several system folders consuming excessive space:WinSXSSoftware Distribution - DownloadsInstallerI attempted to minimize the space occupied by WinSXS by...
  3. Disk Space issues Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Space issues Windows: I've encountered disk space problems on my Windows 10 64-bit system version 22H2. Upon running TreeSize, I've identified several system folders consuming excessive space:WinSXSSoftware Distribution - DownloadsInstallerI attempted to minimize the space occupied by WinSXS by...
  4. Disk Space issues Windows

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. 100% disk space issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk space issue: My HP laptop become very slow . Issue is it's showing 100% disk space usage but my disk space is not even 1/4 full. What's the problem? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-space-issue/7d3d6b65-c8bd-4718-8607-098b37502068
  6. More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation

More disk space used by Windows 10 with upgradation: Hi, When I purchased a Windows 10 laptop. I believe it was Windows 10 1809 version in the laptop. C Drive size is 100GB. That time, free space was between 50-55GB. Since that day I didn’t install additional application in the laptop. Now it’s upgraded to Windows 10 2004...
  7. Low disk space issues

Low disk space issues: I am having low disk space issues, I have no space left on my computer even though all my files are saved on an SD card and i have deleted all unnecessary apps. Previously I was told to delete all one-note backups and change the settings, that emptied around 50 GB but i am...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade disk space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 upgrade disk space: I cannot upgrade my windows 10 as there is less than 1GB of space available. I have nothing saved on this device, windows is taking up all the space https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-upgrade-disk-space/fae316cb-92db-41a8-9e57-704990a39477
  9. Low disk space issue

Low disk space issue: I'm getting a low disk space warning and when I click on it to see where the issue is I see that my "other" folder has 160GB in it, then when I expand the "other" folder to find out what is driving the space issue, nothing is in there that has any major space issues. The...
  10. Disk space issue

Disk space issue: So I'm having this issue where I'm trying to install a couple of things, but I need to free up some space. I go over to my Storage, and it says im currently using 100 GB out of 120. Alright I think, Ill just clear up some of my files. But I go into the storage, and I went to...