Windows 10: Disk space reduced from 81GB to 30GB!

Discus and support Disk space reduced from 81GB to 30GB! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was having about 81 GB free space in my system SSD, I wanted to gain more space so I right-clicked on the Recycle Bin icon and selected "Empty... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by YasserSaeed1, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Disk space reduced from 81GB to 30GB!

I was having about 81 GB free space in my system SSD, I wanted to gain more space so I right-clicked on the Recycle Bin icon and selected "Empty Recycle Bin". The Recycle Bin had about 7GB so I was expecting to gain that 7GB back, but instead, I lost over 50% of the storage I was having!!! It went from 81GB to 30GB in less than 10 seconds!!! What is going on and how is this even possible? How to retrieve my lost space?

:)

YasserSaeed1, Nov 29, 2020
  2. Joan Pin Win User

disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, Nov 29, 2020
  3. Reduce disk size (Inspect SCSI )

Hi, I'm David an independent advisor and user just like you. I'll do my best to help you with this.

The answer is you have to reduce the size on BOTH sides.

Step 1) Within you virtual machine you need to go to Disk Management and reduce the size of the partition(s) on the drive you want to reduce - you want to end up with space left at the "end" of the virtual disk. This is the space you'll be able to recover.

Step 2) From your Hyper-V host you need to edit the virtual disk and use the Shrink option to reduce the size of the physical disk (as far as your VM is concerned it's a physical disk), and that would reduce the size of your virtual disk file on the host.

If you are increasing the size of the virtual disk then you do it the other way round - increase the size of the virtual disk on Hyper-V, then go to Disk Management inside your virtual machine and you'll find there's more space available to expand your virtual
    volume.

Regards,

David

David Spink, Nov 29, 2020
  4. anon345 Win User

Disk space reduced from 81GB to 30GB!

reduce windows disk space

I am due a windows update but it can't complete due to low disk space.

My C:\Windows folder takes up 31 GB of space and C:\Program Files\WindowsApps takes up 43 GB. C:\Recovery is already empty to try to cope with windows memory demands. I am loathed to continue with Windows. Yes, terabytes are becoming the norm but many people
    like me have a ssd main drive with much more modest space and just these two folders alone take up more than half my disk space.

Thanks in advance for any advice on reducing windows disk space.

anon345, Nov 29, 2020
Thema:

Disk space reduced from 81GB to 30GB!

1. Disk space reduced from 81GB to 30GB! - Similar Threads - Disk space reduced

2. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  3. Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hard disk space reducing everyday.Tree view allocated size and free space available not...: My hard disk is saying only 274gb free of 471.If allocated is 102.3gb then I should have 368gb free space where is the difference in space going for.I am running in admin mode...
  4. My space key reduce volume

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My space key reduce volume: I am gamer and in game i have to use space bar but when ever i press the space key it reduce volume , and there is an important role of the shift key which is also working abnormally since today morning ,Please help me becoz of this issue i can't play the game smoothly as i...
  5. I only have 30gb in C Drive Space.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I only have 30gb in C Drive Space.: most people say you should have more but my c drive is only 30gb. I normally have 800MB left and I think that's why nothing loads. could someone tell me how to buy or get more space from a USB or hard drive in another disc?...
  6. Storage Spaces - Reduced Resilency

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces - Reduced Resilency: Hi guys, woke up this morning to find this. Not being able to access my drives, they're really not THAT old and don't get used much. See pic: https://gyazo.com/04604b6312c515b42e4765f0a03a568f I am not really that familiar with all this stuff, but I figured it would be...
  7. reduce windows disk space

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    reduce windows disk space: I am due a windows update but it can't complete due to low disk space. My C:\Windows folder takes up 31 GB of space and C:\Program Files\WindowsApps takes up 43 GB. C:\Recovery is already empty to try to cope with windows memory demands. I am loathed to continue with...
  8. Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Free space reduced after drive repair and disk cleanup issues: I've been having some issues with my disk constantly being 100% used by "system" after downloading and installing some windows updates, whenever I check in the task manager, I searched for solutions and found a number of methods including repairing my C drive. It was scanned...
  9. Windows 10 claimed ~30GB of my SSD space. Is this normal?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 claimed ~30GB of my SSD space. Is this normal?: Hello, from 7 and 8 forums! I upgraded from Windows 8, and I haven't been able to figure out where this all came from, but a large chunk of it, is Windows.old. I searched how to free up that space, but that only offered me ~5GB. How would I remove Windows.old, or is it not...
  10. Recovery Key "incorrect", Storage Spaces Reduced Resiliency, Disk Full

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery Key "incorrect", Storage Spaces Reduced Resiliency, Disk Full: Please please please someone help. This problem is getting out of hand. I've posted about this problem, but the posts are getting moved to different threads and no one is replying. So here it all is form the beginning as simply as I can put it. Not too long ago, I added...