Windows 10: Disk space usage, is this really necessary?

Discus and support Disk space usage, is this really necessary? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So being a persistent fiddler I was poking around with Treesize (a very useful little utility) and came across the following. I have 1 HDD, the Windows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pejole2165, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Disk space usage, is this really necessary?

So being a persistent fiddler I was poking around with Treesize (a very useful little utility) and came across the following.
    I have 1 HDD, the Windows partition is 439Gb in size with 27.8Gb in use.
    When I set this up it was a clean install of 1903 (the .295 version), I installed Nvidia's 436.02 driver and GeForce Experience app. The driver is still the same but Experience has done 1 update.
    According to Treesize Nvidia occupies 27% of Program Files, 52% of Program Filesx86, 40% of Program Data and a whopping 86% of System32\Driverstore\File Repository.
    All together this accounts for 3.6GB of files.
    Going into more depth it appears that Nvidia save any driver/ app updates in its own download folder and also saves a copy in File repository.
    I know Windows does a similar thing with updates and also store apps etc but I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to slim this Nvidia bloat down without loosing the driver and app.
    I know DDU will remove all traces of both over a couple of safe mode restarts but I would rather avoid having to go that route if possible.
    It just seems that it is a lot of unnecessary disk space consumed by Nvidia.
    The main reason I am asking is that at the moment I am using a 1Tb HDD, but very soon I am moving to a small NVME boot drive + 500Gb SSD and although its "only" 3.6Gb that can be a large % of a small NVME.

:)

Pejole2165, Aug 27, 2019

2. Mismatched Space Usage

The cause of this is due to the filing system the storage device is formatted in.

You may try to fix read-only error with the following simple instruction.

Step 1: Click on your "Start Menu", type cmd in the search bar, then hit "Enter".

Step 2: Type command diskpart and hit "Enter". A new command line window will open.

Step 3: Type list disk and hit "Enter". (make sure your devices has been listed out, for example, it is listed as disk 0)

Step 4: Type the command select disk 0 and hit "Enter". Now you've removed the read-only attribute from the storage devices. Type
    exit and hit "Enter" to leave the DiskPart utility.

If the suggestion above doesn't work in your case, try to correct Read-Only error by reformatting.

You can just use a reliable third-party partition reformatting tool like
    MiniTool Partition Wizard

Be sure to copy any and all file from the drive as all the data on the drive will be erased. This can be a simple task or a long undertaking depending on the size and usage of the storage device, but is a necessary and important step.

PeterPeng3, Aug 27, 2019
  3. Disk or memory space

Even though no programs or applications are running, some background services can show memory usage and disk usage. You may check which particular program is using the memory. Refer to these steps:

a) Press Windows key + X, select task manager.

b) Click on the ‘processes’ tab and it will show you show you a list of programs and services running and their corresponding memory usage and disk usage.

c) Check if any of the item listed is consuming more memory or disk usage than normal.

One of the methods to solve the problem is to increase the virtual memory. Make it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size and make sure you have the same amount of free space in your hard drive in each
    drive.

If the issue persists you can place the computer in a
    Clean Boot
    and check.

PeterPeng3, Aug 27, 2019
  4. Joan Pin Win User

Disk space usage, is this really necessary?

disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, Aug 27, 2019
Thema:

Disk space usage, is this really necessary?

1. Disk space usage, is this really necessary? - Similar Threads - Disk space usage

2. Are all these really necessary on my system?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Are all these really necessary on my system?: How many Microsoft Visua C++ Redistributables are necessary? I have SIXTEEN of them installed on my machine. C'mon man. You know the thing.I have both 32 and 64 bit versions of20052008 - multiple version201020122013 - multiple version s2015-2022...
  3. Are all these really necessary on my system?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Are all these really necessary on my system?: How many Microsoft Visua C++ Redistributables are necessary? I have SIXTEEN of them installed on my machine. C'mon man. You know the thing.I have both 32 and 64 bit versions of20052008 - multiple version201020122013 - multiple version s2015-2022...
  4. Are all these really necessary on my system?

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Storage Spaces disk access really slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Storage Spaces disk access really slow: So been using Windows 11 since launch, with no choice ofcourse well initially there was but that ship has sailed and now cant "Go back" only reinstallAfter the previous update, a 6 disk Storage Spaces Simple setup has come to an issue.All the data is intact and i can use it...
  6. Storage Spaces disk access really slow

Storage Spaces disk access really slow: So been using Windows 11 since launch, with no choice ofcourse well initially there was but that ship has sailed and now cant "Go back" only reinstallAfter the previous update, a 6 disk Storage Spaces Simple setup has come to an issue.All the data is intact and i can use it...
  7. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    High CPU & Disk Space Usage: Hello Microsoft Community.Hoping to get some help to troubleshoot some issues I've had with my laptop for a while now.Primary pain point is that the computer boots and runs extremely slowly. This has been the case for a long time. CPU and/or Disk tend to run at 100%. I'm...
  8. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

High CPU & Disk Space Usage: Hello Microsoft Community.Hoping to get some help to troubleshoot some issues I've had with my laptop for a while now.Primary pain point is that the computer boots and runs extremely slowly. This has been the case for a long time. CPU and/or Disk tend to run at 100%. I'm...
  9. High CPU & Disk Space Usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Unexplained disk space usage

in Windows 10 Support
    Unexplained disk space usage: So I got a new Dell laptop with 120GB SSD, and I installed Windows 10 on it. After installation I had 90GB free space, and that seemed normal because I thought it needed space for all the system files. Then I installed Visual Studio and some minor programs and I was at 70GB....