Windows 10: Disk space usage reporting of C drive using File Explorer 'Properties'

Discus and support Disk space usage reporting of C drive using File Explorer 'Properties' in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm looking at ways of reducing the files on my C: drive to avoid a recurrence* of a problem I had where it had so little free space that I couldn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by spl1nternet, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Disk space usage reporting of C drive using File Explorer 'Properties'

I'm looking at ways of reducing the files on my C: drive to avoid a recurrence* of a problem I had where it had so little free space that I couldn't install new products, e.g. I needed to reinstall Chrome but couldn't due to lack of space. *As a work around, I did a factory reset and reinstall of Windows etc... which gave back the C drive about 20GB free space out of 99GB capacity but the free space is already diminishing daily.File Explorer 'Properties' shows the C drive with 99GB capacity, 80.3GB used and 18.7GB free. I've tried the space management utility from the laptop manufacturer

:)

spl1nternet, Aug 5, 2021

2. Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space

Hi all

The major update to Windows 10 was rolled out to my PC several days ago. Except for the issue I am reporting in this post, everything looks fine and the new and updated features all look good!

However since the update the space usage being reported when I select the Properties menu item after right-clicking on a folder in Windows Explorer is reporting vastly lower disk space usage than it ever did before the update.

For example, my Documents folder is showing 2.85Gb of space usage. However one of the subfolders (at the level directly below the Documents root directory) uses more than 5Gb by itself! (which in this case seems to be correctly reporting). This is just one of many subfolders off my Documents folder though, and the under-reporting problem extends to just about every other major folder that I have tried on my system (on both my system and portable hard disk drives).

The differences in space usage being reported are at extreme levels, along the lines of reporting less than 10% of the space usage than when I performed the same request before the update. I have never experienced anything even remotely close to this (under any version of Windows) before the update.

I have taken all the obvious steps such as checking Explorer's viewing options (none of which I changed before either before or after the update to cause these issues to arise) and looking for similar issues already being posted on Windows support forums. However I must admit that having totally drawn a blank with all of these avenues, it's time to ask the experts!

By the way the issue isn't something as simple as having the option to include subfolders in space usage being turned off, as there is far less than 2.85Gb of space usage by my files on the Documents root directory (and once again the same patterns are apparent on other folders on my system).

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with the under-reporting of disk space usage in Windows Explorer? (and if so have these problems seemed to have been introduced by the recent Windows 10 update?) Are there any steps you would advise I take to revert back to the space usage figures I would be expecting (and have always obtained before the update). This is a feature of Explorer that I constantly use and find very useful, but am being severely limited in its usage since the issues I am reporting in this post have recently come up.

Thanks everyone, your assistance in getting this issue resolved would be much appreciated!

Darren Campbell

TigerDarren, Aug 5, 2021
  3. Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space usage following Win10 upgrade

Hi all

The major update to Windows 10 was rolled out to my PC several days ago. Except for the issue I am reporting in this post, everything looks fine and the new and updated features all look good!

However since the update the space usage being reported when I select the Properties menu item after right-clicking on a folder in Windows Explorer is reporting vastly lower disk space usage than it ever did before the update.

For example, my Documents folder is showing 2.85Gb of space usage. However one of the subfolders (at the level directly below the Documents root directory) uses more than 5Gb by itself! (which in this case seems to be correctly reporting). This is just
    one of many subfolders off my Documents folder though, and the under-reporting problem extends to just about every other major folder that I have tried on my system (on both my system and portable hard disk drives).

The differences in space usage being reported are at extreme levels, along the lines of reporting less than 10% of the space usage than when I performed the same request before the update. I have never experienced anything even remotely close to this (under
    any version of Windows) before the update.

I have taken all the obvious steps such as checking Explorer's viewing options (none of which I changed before either before or after the update to cause these issues to arise) and looking for similar issues already being posted on Windows support forums.
    However I must admit that having totally drawn a blank with all of these avenues, it's time to ask the experts!

By the way the issue isn't something as simple as having the option to include subfolders in space usage being turned off, as there is far less than 2.85Gb of space usage by my files on the Documents root directory (and once again the same patterns are apparent
    on other folders on my system).

Has anyone else experienced similar issues with the under-reporting of disk space usage in Windows Explorer? (and if so have these problems seemed to have been introduced by the recent Windows 10 update?) Are there any steps you would advise I take to revert
    back to the space usage figures I would be expecting (and have always obtained before the update). This is a feature of Explorer that I constantly use and find very useful, but am being severely limited in its usage since the issues I am reporting in this
    post have recently come up.

Thanks everyone, your assistance in getting this issue resolved would be much appreciated!

Darren Campbell, Aug 5, 2021
  4. Disk space usage reporting of C drive using File Explorer 'Properties'

Unallocated Space to C Drive

Thanks

realtravisbrown92, Aug 5, 2021
Thema:

Disk space usage reporting of C drive using File Explorer 'Properties'

1. Disk space usage reporting of C drive using File Explorer 'Properties' - Similar Threads - Disk space usage

2. Report using File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Report using File Explorer: Hello, I would like to know how to produce a report using data from the File Explorer. For example, how many times a folder has being modified and when, who created, when, etc.My intention is to show how much work is done by each clients, which corresponds to an singular...
  3. Losing Disk Space on Drive C:/

Losing Disk Space on Drive C:/: Hello, I am losing hard drive space on my drive C:/. Yesterday, the drive was at 90.9 GB used. When I woke it up from sleep it was at 91.4 GB used and now it is at 91.7 GB used. This is only on the small SSD and the larger 4TB HDD does not have this problem. The PC is a new...
  4. Low disk space on c drive

Low disk space on c drive: I have a relatively new Dell Inspiron 3670 using Microsoft Windows 10 Home x 64 based. I have just started to receive low disk space notifications. I can't get windows updates. I've deleted files and non-used apps, run disk clean up, run antivirus, run optimization tools...
  5. Low disk space on C drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Low disk space on C drive: Good afternoon. I have a windows 10 notebook/laptop that has issues with hard drive showing full. After examining the folders the majority of the storage is being used by c:\progam files\windowsapps @ 37.G and then the C:\windows @ 19.4 GB total hard drive is 57GB...
  6. Limited disk space on C:\ drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Limited disk space on C:\ drive: I bought this Dell desktop from one of the local Microcenter stores, which was a returned item. It came with the C:\ drive supposedly being a flash drive with measly 95 gb of diskspace. I didn't realise it then, but it is making my computer starving for diskspace on C:\...
  7. Extending disk space in drive c

Extending disk space in drive c: I want to extend my disk space in c but in the disk management I have a healthy oem partition in between which I can't delete or is it ok to delete this partition? So how to increase the disk space in c? here is the screenshot of the allocated disk space: [ATTACH]...
  8. Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives

Disk Properties is getting free space and used space wrong on my disk drives: I have a LOT of disk drives attached to my desktop under windows 10. I was surprised recently to get a message that there was not enough free space to hold all of the files and folders that I was trying to move. Free space in Explorer said 1.3 TB. Actual free space turned...
  9. Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Folder Properties in Explorer under-reporting disk space: Hi all The major update to Windows 10 was rolled out to my PC several days ago. Except for the issue I am reporting in this post, everything looks fine and the new and updated features all look good! However since the update the space usage being reported when I select the...
  10. Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Large discrepancy in C drive used disk space: Could someone help explain why there is an over 5G difference in the used disk space on my "C" partition? The windows properties tab shows 33.3GB used, but I can't find where it's all being used. If I add up the space used for each folder, it only adds up to 28GB. This is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. properties of c drive