Windows 10: Disk stays fragmented

Discus and support Disk stays fragmented in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello everyone, I've been trying to defragment my main disk for quite some time using the Disk Optimization app which is provided by Windows itself.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Sachit Rathi, May 11, 2019.

1. Disk stays fragmented

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to defragment my main disk for quite some time using the Disk Optimization app which is provided by Windows itself. I've tried doing it for almost 3 times but my disk always stays fragmented. As we're speaking right now, I'm trying to defragment it. I've done it while my windows were not updating while updating, and after it was updated.

There seems to be an issue with either my disk or Windows itself. It's a 1TB internal mechanical disk.

:)

Sachit Rathi, May 11, 2019

2. SYSTEM - Hard Disk Drive Heavily Fragmented

I have a Drive named "SYSTEM" known under Media type as a Hard disk drive. It is 67% fragmented every time it is analyzed. I click on optimize and it goes through the process very quickly like 3 seconds and then says the drive is 33% fragmented. If
    I select analyze again it reverts back to 67% fragmented immediately. I've tried two 3rd party Defrag applications and both do not list the drive SYSTEM. Is this problem permanent and the only fix requires a new hard drive?

ArmandAustin, May 11, 2019
  3. Query about Disk Fragmentation on Windows 10 computer

Hello Leroy,

We realize your concern in this regard.

Fragmentation makes your hard disk do extra work that can slow down your computer. Removable storage devices such as USB flash drives can also become fragmented. Disk Defragmenter in Windows rearranges fragmented data so your disks and drives can work
    more efficiently. Disk Defragmenter runs on a schedule, but you can also analyze and defragment your disks and drives manually.

In view of the same, doing defragmentation of the disk on a weekly basis won't cause any issues. So, I suggest you to keeping initiating the defragmentation process on regular basis for best results.

Keep posted if you require further assistance.

Thank you.

Yashwanth Kotakuri, May 11, 2019
  4. Disk stays fragmented

Dual boot on a fragmented hard disk

I changed the boot mode of Windows 10 from legacy to UEFI. I followed the steps given on https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn336946.aspx and now I have C drive as my only drive. When I tried to create partitions from it, I wasn't able to shrink
    the entire memory available as the disk is 6% fragmented. Even after defragmenting it I wasn't able to get rid of the fragments completely. I wish to dual boot my computer with Windows and Ubuntu and want to know if this will create any issue. Also, the amount
    of memory available for shrinking(in disk management) keeps varying with time.

AnujaBawaskar, May 11, 2019
Thema:

Disk stays fragmented

1. Disk stays fragmented - Similar Threads - Disk stays fragmented

2. Fragmentation

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Fragmentation: Don't know why this happens. It happens with memory hungry programmes tho.. I do know how to defragment both Registry and Pagefile. However, I don't understand how a sluggish or unresponsive app can produce fragmentation in pagefile, for a start. Sometimes it's Chrome...
  3. High CPU on Runtime Broker, Service Host: SysMainand Disk Fragmenter.

High CPU on Runtime Broker, Service Host: SysMainand Disk Fragmenter.: apparently the disk fragmenter, runtime broker and service host: sysmain are using a lot of cpu on my laptop. i also have 6 runtime brokers. what do i do?...
  4. system reserved fragment

system reserved fragment: Hi, How can I fragment system partition My windows start takes too long time [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/system-reserved-fragment/d9623038-4e66-42f0-b1c5-9737c77c0c8e
  5. Fragmentation of c drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Fragmentation of c drive: I had a fragmentation problem only in C: drive for 25% Every time i change new drive it has the same problem In C: drive and now I am running in third drive this also saying 30% fragmented. And every time when i boot disk check error and not opeaning dose this happen...
  6. Disk stays at 0%

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk stays at 0%: Noticed that my Edge was a little slow loading images or opening other web sites. Went to Task Manager and found Disk stays at 0%. "NOT 100%". Have had the 100% on a lot of customers but never the opposite. Try Googling that and you'll get a ton of entries but they all have...
  7. Disk stays at 0%

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk stays at 0%: Noticed that my Edge was a little slow loading images or opening other web sites. Went to Task Manager and found Disk stays at 0%. "NOT 100%". Have had the 100% on a lot of customers but never the opposite. Try Googling that and you'll get a ton of entries but they all have...
  8. Disk Usage 100% after disk fragmentation, Acer Nitro 5

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk Usage 100% after disk fragmentation, Acer Nitro 5: Hello , My Laptop started acting all retard after I defragment my C drive ( OS drive). I'm using Acer Nitro 5 , 8 GB Ram i5-7300HQ 1050GTX Nvidia , 1TB HardDisk . I recently purchased this laptop and was going through acers inbuilt softwares where I found this software...
  9. Not working after fragmentation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Not working after fragmentation: I just refragmented my computer ,,but when i try to start it ,it does not show even the windows logo,it just shows blank screen of black colour,,please do reply really in need...
  10. Backup Disk image issue- does fragmentation transfer ? Acronis

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup Disk image issue- does fragmentation transfer ? Acronis: The install on my wd black primary drive became corrupted. Tried for hours using dism and even a reinstall and nothing worked. I have a wd blue drive as my backup image. It is fine other than being heavily fragmented. It was at 20 and have it down to 12. If I use Acronis now...