Windows 10: Disk unusable

Discus and support Disk unusable in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I've been using my 1TB Seagate barracuda HDD for over two years now. Today when I wanted to create a new partition on Disk Management, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Roger GoodHusband, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Disk unusable

Hello,

I've been using my 1TB Seagate barracuda HDD for over two years now. Today when I wanted to create a new partition on Disk Management, the disk showed no volume, but I was able to access my files just fine.

I made backups before starting to mess with things, checked the sata and power cables, restarted the PC, the properties showed the drive was working fine, but I was still unable to see the volume of the disk to create a new partition.

Tried updating the drivers, disable the device and enabling again, no luck.

Finally I right clicked and selected Remove Disk, restarted the PC and still nothing, but I was unable to Reactivate Disk as the option was greyed out.

Now it doesn't appear at the list in the top of Disk Management, nor can I see it on diskpart. It still shows as Disk 1, with no volume.

Disk unusable bfc7c721-9113-4183-bf94-0971daad96b6?upload=true.png

I've also noticed that it appears as a Dynamic disk, but when I try to convert it to Basic it says that the disk is offline

Disk unusable 2416a69b-ec37-4ce2-9c20-f1ad8cb9bd3a?upload=true.png

I ran out of ideas, so any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

:)

Roger GoodHusband, Mar 12, 2021

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Disk unusable :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Mar 12, 2021
  3. ze ultimo Win User
    diskpart doesn't show disk

Hey,

I am trying to install Win10 on a mac book air.

However the diskpart does not list the disk even after reformatting the partition as NTFS per suggestion.

read through this solution but cannot move to step 1 listed in the solution by Ivan as that disk doesn't see that partition it was just able to reformat.

Regards

ze ultimo, Mar 12, 2021
  4. Fernandz Win User

Disk unusable

How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Mar 12, 2021
Thema:

Disk unusable

1. Disk unusable - Similar Threads - Disk unusable

2. disk usage at 100% when I started comp. Today, computer is almost unusable. Reset got stuck...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    disk usage at 100% when I started comp. Today, computer is almost unusable. Reset got stuck...: I started my computer today and disk usage was at 100% for no reason, no prosseses were using that much or added up to that much. It has stated that way and computer is essentially unusable. I tried to reset while saving my files but it got stuck at 11% the entire night, that...
  3. disk usage at 100% when I started comp. Today, computer is almost unusable. Reset got stuck...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    disk usage at 100% when I started comp. Today, computer is almost unusable. Reset got stuck...: I started my computer today and disk usage was at 100% for no reason, no prosseses were using that much or added up to that much. It has stated that way and computer is essentially unusable. I tried to reset while saving my files but it got stuck at 11% the entire night, that...
  4. How to format/delete old unused OS disk drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to format/delete old unused OS disk drive?: When I am trying to format it, it says it's unable to do it. When I want to delete it, it says that It cannot delete active disk. Preferably I'd like to do it without using 3rd party software. Double checked that I am trying to delete correct one....
  5. How to format/delete old unused OS disk drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to format/delete old unused OS disk drive?: When I am trying to format it, it says it's unable to do it. When I want to delete it, it says that It cannot delete active disk. Preferably I'd like to do it without using 3rd party software. Double checked that I am trying to delete correct one....
  6. How to format/delete old unused OS disk drive?

7. Invalid media or Track 0 bad – disk unusable

in Windows 10 News
    Invalid media or Track 0 bad – disk unusable: [ATTACH]When you try to format your storage drives including HDDs, USBs, SSDs, SD cards, etc using the format command in Command Prompt on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, Windows may be unable to complete the formatting with the error message Invalid media or Track 0...
  8. Invalid media or Track 0 bad disk unusable Format failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Invalid media or Track 0 bad disk unusable Format failed: I just bought brand new USB SanDisk 3.2 Gen1 USB Device and while preparing it to use it as evidence collection drive. Got below error:C:\WINDOWS\system32>format e: /fs:exfat /p:1Insert new disk for drive E: and press ENTER when ready... The type of the file system is...
  9. Invalid media or Track 0 bad disk unusable Format failed

Invalid media or Track 0 bad disk unusable Format failed: I just bought brand new USB SanDisk 3.2 Gen1 USB Device and while preparing it to use it as evidence collection drive. Got below error:C:\WINDOWS\system32>format e: /fs:exfat /p:1Insert new disk for drive E: and press ENTER when ready... The type of the file system is...
  10. Invalid media or Track 0 bad disk unusable Format failed

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing