Windows 10: Disk usage 100% when i open anything

Discus and support Disk usage 100% when i open anything in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I have a gaming laptop with 2 disk drives, the second one has all my games and other stuff on it cause it has the most space, and when i open anything... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/deadpoo-187, Jul 11, 2020.

1. Disk usage 100% when i open anything

I have a gaming laptop with 2 disk drives, the second one has all my games and other stuff on it cause it has the most space, and when i open anything off of that hard drive the hard drive goes to 100% usage and lags out till it "disconnects". When the hard drive disconnects it isn't seen anywhere, file explorer, disk management,etc. The other hard drive, my ssd has all my core files so my computer is safe but i cant access anything from my 2nd hard drive until i restart. When i do restart my computer the same thing happens, the hard drive goes to 100 lags out my computer and disconnects. I also tried to update my windows but i cant cause it has an error installing. Absolutely nothing worked from what i researched. Pls help

submitted by /u/deadpoo-187
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/deadpoo-187, Jul 11, 2020

2. 100% disk usage.

Summer has ended and my girlfriend booted her school laptop for the first time in months, only for it to be so unbearably slow that it took several minutes to log in. She handed it to me and said "fix it"... that was 3 days ago and now I am here to humbly
    ask the community what is going on with this GD laptop.

It boots and task manager reports 100%CPU usage, it then lags for several seconds and displays 100%disk usage with CPU usage bouncing between 30-60%.

If you leave it alone with task manager running it will eventually quiet down to a reasonable 0-5% disk usage, but doing ANYTHING causes it to bounce right back to 100%.

I have tried EVERYTHING.

• disable superfetch.
    • disable microsoft search.
    • disable updates and suggestive tips.
    • updated to the most current version of microsoft. (it hadn't been updated since 2018 when she bought it.)
    • reconfigured AHCI PCIE.
    • changed energy options.
    • disabled indexing.
    • reset the virtual memory.
    • ran disk defragment and disabled all scheduling.
    • updated all drivers.
    • deleted google chrome.
    • Disabled all services that weren't microsoft services and disabled all startup programs (clean boot).
    Still no change in the disk usage.

Its an HP Laptop model 15-bw0xx with Windows 10 home edition version 10.0.18362

after messing with it this long im considering replacing the HDD with an SSD but I fear that it wont fix the issue.

LucasParsons, Jul 11, 2020
  3. 100% disk usage

The most common cause of 100% disk usage appears to be Superfetch and Prefetch, but there are also other causes. You can try disabling both these features and see if it helps.

This article provides steps to disable prefecth and superfetch:

-
    How to Fix 100% Disk Usage Error in Windows 10

Salman Patwegar, Jul 11, 2020
  4. Disk usage 100% when i open anything

How to solve 100 % disk usage in windows 10 after fall update?

Hi Manikanteswara,

Usually, a virus could be the main cause of 100% disk usage. The first step in rectifying the problem is to check your disk usages. You need to open the Task Manager and take a look at your disk usages to identify the programs or applications that are causing
    your hard disk 100% usage. Here's how:

• Type task manager in the Windows search bar and select the best match.
    • In the Processes tab, look at the disk process to see what is causing your hard disk 100% usage.

Kindly send a screenshot, so I can take a closer look.

Hoping to hear from you soon.

Aileen Alf, Jul 11, 2020
Thema:

Disk usage 100% when i open anything

1. Disk usage 100% when i open anything - Similar Threads - Disk usage 100%

2. Disk usage at 100% and I cannot do anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk usage at 100% and I cannot do anything: I had a video game open on my laptop + spotify and discord and I was searching something up on my phone which took a while so i wasn’t paying attention to my laptop and once i was done i looked up and saw that nothing that i was clicking on was working. Eventually i had...
  3. Disk usage at 100% and I cannot do anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk usage at 100% and I cannot do anything: I had a video game open on my laptop + spotify and discord and I was searching something up on my phone which took a while so i wasn’t paying attention to my laptop and once i was done i looked up and saw that nothing that i was clicking on was working. Eventually i had...
  4. Disk usage at 100% and I cannot do anything

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. 100% Disk Usage and Pc dont open anything

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    100% Disk Usage and Pc dont open anything: Hey, Ive tried to move game on Steam from Disk Cmy main one to Disk E, and then everything stopped, I couldnt restart pc or close applications. I hard reseted my PC and then i noticed at the beginning my PC slowed down, I didnt see icons on desktop for 5 minutes and I cant...
  6. 100% Disk Usage and Pc dont open anything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% Disk Usage and Pc dont open anything: Hey, Ive tried to move game on Steam from Disk Cmy main one to Disk E, and then everything stopped, I couldnt restart pc or close applications. I hard reseted my PC and then i noticed at the beginning my PC slowed down, I didnt see icons on desktop for 5 minutes and I cant...
  7. 100% Disk Usage and Pc dont open anything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. My disk usage rises to 50-100% whenever I open anything

My disk usage rises to 50-100% whenever I open anything: Hello everyone, for the past few days, I've been having a problem with my disk usage. Whenever I launch an app or a game, doesn't matter whether its on my SSD or HDD, my disk usage will spike to 100%, however, if I go onto something, such as google, my disk will be very high...
  9. Disk Usage 100% when I open an app

Disk Usage 100% when I open an app: I've had this issue for almost a year now and i've tried everything online. The disk usage spikes very high when I open an app and while an app is open it runs at about 20% Things I've tried: I've disabled superfetch I've disabled windows search I've disabled windows...
  10. 100% disk usage when opening softwares.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    100% disk usage when opening softwares.: Hello , I'm using Acer Nitro 5 , 8 GB Ram i5-7300HQ 1050GTX Nvidia , 1TB HardDisk . Every time I open a app either its chrome/steam/discord my disk usage increases to 100% even its running only on 2-3mbps else its fine and 2-3% around Please help me out here....