Windows 10: Disk usage at 100% on startup

Discus and support Disk usage at 100% on startup in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have Windows 10 and when I boot up my computer my disk usage is at 100% and it doesn't go down. Task manager is showing no one app using a lot of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Am_-123, Dec 19, 2020.

1. Am_-123 Win User

Disk usage at 100% on startup

Hi, I have Windows 10 and when I boot up my computer my disk usage is at 100% and it doesn't go down. Task manager is showing no one app using a lot of the disk, and I've disabled apps on startup etc, reset my computer, removed unused apps, used CCleaner and checked disk. I disabled Windows search per the instructions of a Microsoft support person who I contacted but none of these had any effect. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? I've tried a bunch of suggestions from other community threads but nonehave helped.

I have a Lenovo ideapad 310 with 8GB RAM and an i7

Here's my task manager with the highest disk using apps:

Disk usage at 100% on startup 93db87aa-7518-4aef-8c51-d9ea16d325f8?upload=true.png

:)

Am_-123, Dec 19, 2020

2. 100% disk usage

The most common cause of 100% disk usage appears to be Superfetch and Prefetch, but there are also other causes. You can try disabling both these features and see if it helps.

This article provides steps to disable prefecth and superfetch:

-
    How to Fix 100% Disk Usage Error in Windows 10

Salman Patwegar, Dec 19, 2020
  3. 100% disk usage.

Summer has ended and my girlfriend booted her school laptop for the first time in months, only for it to be so unbearably slow that it took several minutes to log in. She handed it to me and said "fix it"... that was 3 days ago and now I am here to humbly
    ask the community what is going on with this GD laptop.

It boots and task manager reports 100%CPU usage, it then lags for several seconds and displays 100%disk usage with CPU usage bouncing between 30-60%.

If you leave it alone with task manager running it will eventually quiet down to a reasonable 0-5% disk usage, but doing ANYTHING causes it to bounce right back to 100%.

I have tried EVERYTHING.

• disable superfetch.
    • disable microsoft search.
    • disable updates and suggestive tips.
    • updated to the most current version of microsoft. (it hadn't been updated since 2018 when she bought it.)
    • reconfigured AHCI PCIE.
    • changed energy options.
    • disabled indexing.
    • reset the virtual memory.
    • ran disk defragment and disabled all scheduling.
    • updated all drivers.
    • deleted google chrome.
    • Disabled all services that weren't microsoft services and disabled all startup programs (clean boot).
    Still no change in the disk usage.

Its an HP Laptop model 15-bw0xx with Windows 10 home edition version 10.0.18362

after messing with it this long im considering replacing the HDD with an SSD but I fear that it wont fix the issue.

LucasParsons, Dec 19, 2020
  4. sidhiqueF Win User

Windows 10 Disk usage 100% on startup

Hi,

I am facing an issue with Disk usage 100% on startup.

sidhiqueF, Dec 19, 2020
Thema:

1. Disk usage at 100% on startup - Similar Threads - Disk usage 100%

2. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100 disk usage on startup HDD: Hello!I'm getting 100% disk usage every time on startup. It usually went down after a couple of minutes. Services like sys main take up to 99% or 100%. It kinda slows down my laptop. I'm on HDD and is there a way to solve this without upgrading to SSD? I already turned off...
  3. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100 disk usage on startup HDD: Hello!I'm getting 100% disk usage every time on startup. It usually went down after a couple of minutes. Services like sys main take up to 99% or 100%. It kinda slows down my laptop. I'm on HDD and is there a way to solve this without upgrading to SSD? I already turned off...
  4. 100 disk usage on startup HDD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. 100% disk usage at startup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage at startup: Hi, My problem is that Windows takes a long time to start despite being on an SSD, and on further investigation this is because the system disk is at 100% disk usage, slowing down the entire computer, and after using Windows Performance Analyzer, I saw that the "System"...
  6. 100% disk usage at startup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk usage at startup: Hi, My problem is that Windows takes a long time to start despite being on an SSD, and on further investigation this is because the system disk is at 100% disk usage, slowing down the entire computer, and after using Windows Performance Analyzer, I saw that the "System"...
  7. 100% disk usage at startup

8. Disk Usage at 100% on startup and randomly

Disk Usage at 100% on startup and randomly: For a couple months my laptop has been struggling due to disk usage issues. I've attempted to search for solutions to this but nothing works for my laptop possibly because each pc is different and my issue might be more specific. Sometimes the laptop struggles to even load...
  9. 100% Disk Usage on Startup

100% Disk Usage on Startup: Hello, My problem is that Windows takes a very long time to startup despite it being on an SSD Rotating circles for a minute or so, and on further investigation it's because of the system disk having 100% disk usage which slows the entire computer down, and after using...
  10. 100% Disk usage on startup and games with SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% Disk usage on startup and games with SSD: I've been having this issue with my desktop where it will be fairly slow/unresponsive during startup and on loading screens for games. I've noticed by looking in task manager that the disk usage spikes to 100% during this, which seems strange. There's also some slowdown...