Windows 10: Disk usage is at 100% with only ~5mb/sec of usage

Discus and support Disk usage is at 100% with only ~5mb/sec of usage in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I tried defragging my HDD and tried updating all my drivers, but the Disk usage keeps hitting 100%. CPU and GPU are both <5% and the Network and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by OliverProbst, Apr 22, 2020.

1. Disk usage is at 100% with only ~5mb/sec of usage

I tried defragging my HDD and tried updating all my drivers, but the Disk usage keeps hitting 100%. CPU and GPU are both <5% and the Network and memory are both 30%<60%.

:)

OliverProbst, Apr 22, 2020

2. 100% disk usage

The most common cause of 100% disk usage appears to be Superfetch and Prefetch, but there are also other causes. You can try disabling both these features and see if it helps.

This article provides steps to disable prefecth and superfetch:

-
    How to Fix 100% Disk Usage Error in Windows 10

Salman Patwegar, Apr 22, 2020
  3. Jose Est Win User
    100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Apr 22, 2020
  4. novanilla Win User

Disk usage is at 100% with only ~5mb/sec of usage

Upgraded to Windows 10 - Disk 0 Usage 100

I agree. This entire thread has appeared unproductive as this issue continues. The one point perhaps that has not been discussed appears to be that even though the disk 0 usage is at 100% the processes running never add up to 100percent. for example at 24%
    usage there are 10 processes listed as using 0.1 mb/sec which totals 1MB /sec. from that one could assume that at 100% the processes may total 4MB/sec but I routinely see the system process spike upwards of 25Mb/sec and after any usage climbs over 7mb/sec
    the disk 0 reads at 100%. also the running processes are never the same. there is no one process which creates the issue.

A better solution would be for Microsoft to explain the point and purpose of the disk usage, and how it is reported. it is reported at the top as a percentage and in the row as a transfer speed. (mb/s).

The question is what is up with that specifically, how do I determine the max transfer speed of disc 0, and at what point will system performance slow to an unacceptable user level? when it does what are the steps to take to identify and resolve the issue?

novanilla, Apr 22, 2020
Thema:

Disk usage is at 100% with only ~5mb/sec of usage

1. Disk usage is at 100% with only ~5mb/sec of usage - Similar Threads - Disk usage 100%

2. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk usage: Original Post: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/100-disk-usage/849cd5e4-4e7e-4696-b49e-61c897e6c212?tm=1663516638705I have been having 100% disk usage for quite a bit now, I had a post about it a while ago and did a clean boot as...
  3. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage: My computer has been running completely fine until I noticed lag and it started being slow, at first I thought it was a virus of some sort until I see task manager having 100% disk usage which apparently is a common problem. Sometimes it would stop or sometimes it would stay...
  4. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    100% disk usage: My computer has been running completely fine until I noticed lag and it started being slow, at first I thought it was a virus of some sort until I see task manager having 100% disk usage which apparently is a common problem. Sometimes it would stop or sometimes it would stay...
  5. Disk Usage 100%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Usage 100%: Very often the task manager on my desktop computer shows 100% disk usage, but I never see any of the tasks taking more thanvery little MB/s. When this happens, everything slows way down. It is especially irritating when I try to connect to the internet with Verizon. I get...
  6. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage: Hi, My hard drive shows that it is at 100% and my laptop is very slow. Can 100% disk usage increase the temperature of the hard disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-usage/30be9bae-02e9-49f9-828e-137ac19057f3
  7. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage: Hi, My hard drive shows that it is at 100% and my laptop is very slow. Can 100% disk usage increase the temperature of the hard disk? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-usage/30be9bae-02e9-49f9-828e-137ac19057f3
  8. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    100% disk usage: my task manager is showing a 100% disk usage... system gets freezed ,im using windows 10 .Please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/100-disk-usage/a531f5f6-c024-4723-849e-979e04a00c4c
  9. 100% RAM usage and disk usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% RAM usage and disk usage: Hi guys I need your help I have RAM usage of 100% but is there is nothing that consuming 100-percent or consuming a lot of RAM can anyone help me please I tried every online solution but didn't help me and sometimes I get 100-percent disk usage submitted by /u/hamaal94...
  10. 100% disk usage

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    100% disk usage: I noticed that my laptop is a little slow and it takes longer time to boot and when i open the task manger most of the times the disk usage is at 100%. I tried several solutions on youtube like disable windows search, sysmain and other things i still have the problem. I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk usage 100% after fresh install