Windows 10: Disk usage

Discus and support Disk usage in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Laptop is not shut down overnight - when starting up in the morning Disk usage shows 98 to 100 % usage - lasts for approx. 10 min then back to normal... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by PaulOrlando, Jul 26, 2021.

1. Disk usage

Laptop is not shut down overnight - when starting up in the morning Disk usage shows 98 to 100 % usage - lasts for approx. 10 min then back to normal

:)

PaulOrlando, Jul 26, 2021

2. Off the chart (literally!) disk usage

Glenn, we would like to check if you are still experiencing a high disk usage on your end, if yes, we would like to ask if you can try to follow the steps below for as a workaround:

• Go to Start menu and select Settings
    • Select System
    • Select Notification & actions
    • Then turn off all notification and check if disk usage would still get a high usage.

Let us know how it goes.

Jarius Tol, Jul 26, 2021
  3. Jose Est Win User
    100% disk usage and memory usage

Hi,

100% disk usage and memory usage can be caused by a software corruption, running application running on the background and malware or virus infection.

For us to properly isolate the issue and provide an appropriate resolution, kindly answer the questions below:

• Did the issue happen after installing the Fall Creators?
    • Did you receive any error messages?
    • Can you send us the screenshot of the Task Manager showing the 100% disk usage and memory usage?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

For isolation purposes, please perform a clean boot to see if the same issue will occur. Refer to this
    article for more information on how to perform a clean boot
    in Windows.

Looking forward to your response.

Jose Est, Jul 26, 2021
  4. Disk usage

Windows 10 100% disk usage problem

Hi Jae,

Thank you for responding.

I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: First of all, take a note of the processes or applications that is running when the computer runs with high disk usage. Also, we need to find the applications that are running at startup.

Follow the steps to check for the processes under Task Manager:

• Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager.
    • Click on Processes tab. Check if any of the processes consumes high memory usage.
    Bad sectors on the hard drive can be a cause for high disk usage.

Check which process is utilizing the Hard Disk on Windows 8.1, you may try the following steps.

• Open Task Manager and click on
      Details tab.
    • Right click the columns headers and click "Select Columns".
    • From the "Select Columns" window, check: I/O Reads, I/O Writes, I/O read bytes, I/O write bytes and then click
      OK.
    • Now the columns will be added to the view and will display how much each process is utilizing from the hard disk.
    • Sort by I/O read bytes or I/O write bytes by clicking on the column header to see which process is utilizing the Hard Drive most.
    Step 2: If you have not run the 'check disk' scan or tried optimizing the drive, follow the steps from this article.

Improve performance by optimizing your drive

(Note: This applies to Windows 10 also.)

Important: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive, it tries to repair that sector and any data available on that might be lost.

Hope it helps. Feel free to get back to us for any further queries or issues related to Windows Operating System, we will be happy to help you.

Thank you.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 26, 2021
Thema:

Disk usage

1. Disk usage - Similar Threads - Disk usage

2. Disk Usage Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disk Usage Problem: Disk usage in the task manager says it's on 100%, due to 2 apps, google chrome and system, I have no idea why nor do I have a clue on how to find the problem that is causing this....
  3. Disk Usage Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disk Usage Problem: Disk usage in the task manager says it's on 100%, due to 2 apps, google chrome and system, I have no idea why nor do I have a clue on how to find the problem that is causing this....
  4. Disk Usage Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Dell Inspiron 5570 disk usage 100% even after resetting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dell Inspiron 5570 disk usage 100% even after resetting: I purchased my Dell Inspiron 15 5570 with 4GB RAM and 2GB Radeon graphics card with 1TB HDD and added another 4GB to RAM. My laptop was too slow for so long. And I tried resetting the laptop and also it took 2 days for resetting and OS is crased so installed a OS again and...
  6. Dell Inspiron 5570 disk usage 100% even after resetting

Dell Inspiron 5570 disk usage 100% even after resetting: I purchased my Dell Inspiron 15 5570 with 4GB RAM and 2GB Radeon graphics card with 1TB HDD and added another 4GB to RAM. My laptop was too slow for so long. And I tried resetting the laptop and also it took 2 days for resetting and OS is crased so installed a OS again and...
  7. When updating a game on my pc, after a couple seconds the disk usage goes up to 100% and my...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When updating a game on my pc, after a couple seconds the disk usage goes up to 100% and my...: When updating a game on my pc, after a couple seconds the disk usage goes up to 100% and my pc freezes. I tried multiple things to fix it, but nothing seems to work....
  8. When updating a game on my pc, after a couple seconds the disk usage goes up to 100% and my...

When updating a game on my pc, after a couple seconds the disk usage goes up to 100% and my...: When updating a game on my pc, after a couple seconds the disk usage goes up to 100% and my pc freezes. I tried multiple things to fix it, but nothing seems to work....
  9. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage: My "system" in the task manager has been causing a lot of disk usage to the point that my screen goes frozen, specifically I'm getting 100% disk usageSystem randomly goes to 20% - 80% disk usage, no reason said whyThis never happened before, but until updating my pc, I am...
  10. 100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    100% disk usage, "system" causing disk usage: My "system" in the task manager has been causing a lot of disk usage to the point that my screen goes frozen, specifically I'm getting 100% disk usageSystem randomly goes to 20% - 80% disk usage, no reason said whyThis never happened before, but until updating my pc, I am...