Windows 10: Disk won’t convert

Discus and support Disk won’t convert in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; [IMG]Im trying to convert my disk so i can download windows and it gives me this message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by BlueMoonYT, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Disk won’t convert

Disk won’t convert [​IMG]Im trying to convert my disk so i can download windows and it gives me this message

:)

BlueMoonYT, Nov 30, 2020

2. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Nov 30, 2020
  3. tops Win User
    Skype won´t wok in 17063

Skype Won´t work... games won´t work...

Making backup and re-format...

Maybe I Install a Windows 7 again, At least, all of my games run smoothly ...Sadness!!

*Banghead

4. anctop Win User

Disk won’t convert

Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10

Recently I met an occasion where a Win10 installation on a GPT disk needed to be converted to MBR.
    I think my experience may be of some help.

The target system was Win10 Enterprise, installed on an empty 300GB HD. The layout (as reported by "diskpart") was :
    Code:
    Code:
     Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info   ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------   Volume 1     C                NTFS   Partition    297 GB  Healthy    Boot   Volume 2         Recovery     NTFS   Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Hidden   Volume 3                      FAT32  Partition     99 MB  Healthy    System
    Basically I followed "OPTION ONE" of Shawn Brink (the author of the original post).
    Steps 1-3 were straightforward.
    After clicking "Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk" in Step 3, a warning poped out :

Disk won’t convert [​IMG]

Click "OK" to dismiss, then proceed to Step 4.
    After clicking "Apply", another warning appeared soon :

Disk won’t convert [​IMG]

Click "Restart Now" to proceed.
    The restart triggered the conversion before loading the OS.
    When the conversion was completed (in just one or two minutes), the system was restarted again.
    But this time it CRASHED : some error message saying OS not found.

This is normal, because the conversion tool did not mark the system partition as "bootable".
    Now :
    1. Boot the target system with the Win10 installation media (DVD/USB etc).
    2. Select language & click the "Next" button.
    3. Click the "Repair your computer" link.
    4. Click the "Troubleshoot" square.
    5. Click the "Command Prompt" square.
    6. At the command prompt, invoke the "diskpart" tool.
      • Locate the target partition by using the "select" and "list" commands.
      • Execute the "select partition x" command, where x is the target partition number.
      • Execute the "active" command to mark it as "bootable".
      • "exit" the "diskpart" tool.
    7. "exit" the command prompt.
    8. Click the "Startup Repair" square. The system will restart after the repair.
    9. Done.
    After the fix, the layout of the target disk looked like :
    Code:
    Code:
      Volume ###  Ltr  Label        Fs     Type        Size     Status     Info    ----------  ---  -----------  -----  ----------  -------  ---------  --------    Volume 1                             Partition    450 MB  Healthy    Offline    Volume 2                             Partition     99 MB  Healthy    Offline    Volume 3     C                NTFS   Partition    297 GB  Healthy    System
    Finally, a couple of remarks :
    • The time required for the "Startup Repair" step varies on different systems. For the 300GB disk mentioned above, it was finished in less than a minute. On another case with 1TB HD, it took nearly 3 hours of heavy disk read-write to complete the operation.
    • One downside of the method is worth notice : almost all of the functions in "Advanced startup" ("Start" -> "Settings" -> "Update & security" -> "Recovery" -> "Advanced startup") were gone after the conversion.

anctop, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Disk won’t convert

1. Disk won’t convert - Similar Threads - Disk won’t convert

2. Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk: Hello guys!Today I need your help because if not then I'll be in danger. Now what happened is that I was trying to split a E drive in disk management tool. So when I did so it gave me a warning message saying that the disk will be a dynamic one and that the PC will not be...
  3. Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Convert a dynamic disk into basic disk: Hello guys!Today I need your help because if not then I'll be in danger. Now what happened is that I was trying to split a E drive in disk management tool. So when I did so it gave me a warning message saying that the disk will be a dynamic one and that the PC will not be...
  4. convert disks to gpt help

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    convert disks to gpt help: For context I have a 2tb hard drive and a 500mb ssd and im trying to upgrade to windows 11. So I'm trying to upgrade to windows 11 and I had to activate tpm Which I did with no issues and enable secure boot. After a little research I found I had to convert my drives to gpt,...
  5. convert disks to gpt help

in Windows 10 Gaming
    convert disks to gpt help: For context I have a 2tb hard drive and a 500mb ssd and im trying to upgrade to windows 11. So I'm trying to upgrade to windows 11 and I had to activate tpm Which I did with no issues and enable secure boot. After a little research I found I had to convert my drives to gpt,...
  6. convert disks to gpt help

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to convert an MBR disk into a GPT disk: why does windows 10 32 bit(x86) clean install as mbr when i pre-format the hard drive as gpt? is there a solution or is that the default and only option for installation? i've contacted asus who makes my motherboard to check for uefi details and everything i can think of...
  8. convert MBR to GPT disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    convert MBR to GPT disk: DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B Disk 1 Online 7633 MB 0 B DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size...
  9. Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert GPT Disk to MBR Disk in Windows 10 [img] Information GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard...
  10. Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10: How to: Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 How to Convert MBR Disk to GPT Disk in Windows 10 GPT (GUID Partition Table) and MBR (Master Boot Record) are two different partition styles that can be used for a disk. MBR disks use the standard BIOS partition...