Windows 10: diskpart - detail partition Active flag missing

Discus and support diskpart - detail partition Active flag missing in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; So I had the need today to find what partition on a system disk was marked as Active. The installed Windows version is Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Railtech, May 4, 2021.

1. Railtech Win User

diskpart - detail partition Active flag missing

So I had the need today to find what partition on a system disk was marked as Active. The installed Windows version is Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.867. I proceeded as I normally do opening an admin command prompt and running diskpart commands: list diskselect disklist partitiondetail partition In the past detail partition would display the Active flag as either Yes or NO. Now nothing, does anyone know what happened to this flag? Without it there is no way to know what partition on disk is active, is this an oversight by MS?

:)

Railtech, May 4, 2021
  2. Railtech Win User

So I had the need today to find what partition on a system disk was marked as Active. The installed Windows version is Windows 10 Pro 20H2 build 19042.867. I proceeded as I normally do opening an admin command prompt and running diskpart commands:

• list disk
    • select disk
    • list partition
    • detail partition

In the past detail partition would display the Active flag as either Yes or NO. Now nothing, does anyone know what happened to this flag? Without it there is no way to know what partition on disk is active, is this an oversight by MS?

diskpart - detail partition Active flag missing [​IMG]

Railtech, May 5, 2021
  3. topgundcp Win User

I think your disk is a GPT disk. There's no such thing as Active Flag. It's only applied to MBR disk.
    Your 1st partition is MSR reserved partition, the 100MB(partition 2) is the EFI System partition.

topgundcp, May 5, 2021
  4. Bree Win User

No, its not an oversight. It is because the disk you are looking at is a GPT formated disk. There is no such thing as an 'active' partition for a GPT disk, that concept only exists for a Legacy bios/MBR system. A UEFI system always boots from the EFI partition.

And your partition 2 can be identified as an EFI partition on a GPT drive for two reasons, the first is that the 'Type' is given as a GUID string (on an MBR drive it is a two digit hex number) and the second is that it is 100MB, formatted as Fat32, which is typical for an EFI partition.

GUID Partition Table - Wikipedia

Bree, May 5, 2021
Thema:

1. diskpart - detail partition Active flag missing - Similar Threads - diskpart detail partition

2. why partition 3 is missing in diskpart list

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    why partition 3 is missing in diskpart list: i want to enable winre but whe i run reagentc /enable it says reagent.exe not found so i try a tutorial but in the tutorial in diskpart list i don't have partition 3 type:RecoveryPartition### Type Size Offset----------- -------------------- ---------- ---------Partition1...
  3. why partition 3 is missing in diskpart list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    why partition 3 is missing in diskpart list: i want to enable winre but whe i run reagentc /enable it says reagent.exe not found so i try a tutorial but in the tutorial in diskpart list i don't have partition 3 type:RecoveryPartition### Type Size Offset----------- -------------------- ---------- ---------Partition1...
  4. why partition 3 is missing in diskpart list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. RECOVERY partition not visible in DISKPART.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    RECOVERY partition not visible in DISKPART.: The recovery partition is not visible in diskpart and therefore the WinRE cannot be found. What do I do to get it to show? It was there before.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]...
  6. Malwarebytes flagging EaseUS Partition Master

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Malwarebytes flagging EaseUS Partition Master: EaseUS Partition Master installer, epm.exe is being flagged by Malwarebytes as a PUP. It contains OpenCandy which is used to install other, non-wanted software. It also blocks Outbound connection attempts to dpd.securestudies.com and is considered Riskware. I've uninstalled...
  7. Malwarebytes flagging EaseUS Partition Master

in Windows 10 Support
    Malwarebytes flagging EaseUS Partition Master: EaseUS Partition Master installer, epm.exe is being flagged by Malwarebytes as a PUP. It contains OpenCandy which is used to install other, non-wanted software. It also blocks Outbound connection attempts to dpd.securestudies.com and is considered Riskware. I've uninstalled...
  8. [solved] drive/partition totally missing after errant diskpart clean

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    [solved] drive/partition totally missing after errant diskpart clean: I think like other folks who've come here, I have a relatively similar issue: I wanted to wipe a flash drive (in my case, because the 16GB drive had been formatted on mac os, so it didn't work w/ windows), went to diskpart, selected what appeared to be the small flash drive...
  9. How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to sign an existing partition to EFI partition with diskpart: I was trying to install linux on my UEFI mode windows 10 laptop couple days ago, unfortunately there's something went wrong during the installation process, the grub directly wrote data in my win10 system boot partition. Luckily I saved my data and all the partition still in...
  10. DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk: How to: DISKPART - How to Partition GPT disk [img] Information Some time ago in another thread I promised a fellow Ten Forums member, esteemed geek and a good friend of mine Tony K to make him a custom DISKPART script when needed: My system at present is...