Windows 10: Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti

Discus and support Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, This is the first time I have posted here. Hi there everyone. Windows Version Number: Windows 10 Pro - v 1909. My laptop has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by TroubleShot, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti

Hi there,

This is the first time I have posted here. Hi there everyone.

Windows Version Number: Windows 10 Pro - v 1909.

My laptop has been experiencing a problem. At the root of this is a damaged parition table - but I have had to do more than this - and no OS can be found as it is divded over two drives C: and E: which is a ramdisk created by the recovery process in response to the partition table corruption.

However in using TestDisk by way of only a test. My recovery partition has been slightly changed whilst I actually did nothing to it. The recovery partition is nolonger hidden and now has a drive letter f:. What I am trying to do is return it back. I can easily hide the partition by giving it a 'set id 27' in diskpart. But if I 'remove' the drive letter in diskpart it does go only to return on every reboot. My question is how to permanently remove this drive letter, any idea of the practices used by the manufacturer to achieve this? I want to reconfigure it just as it had been set up. (I have got another solution, but wanted to ask before I try this one). The aim is to get ... bcdedit /enum all ... to state the same that had listed the hidden recovery partition in one of the windows boot loader entries. This partition might have related to the creation of e: the ramdisk? (I am aware winre / winpe can create this).

Then I want to make sure the recovery partition is correctly configured and if it still is playing a role in the recovery process after all the updates of windows made in the past. For this I am aware I need to use reagentc.exe. But is this just a case of establishing the paths to the files install.esd and winre?

Any ideas? Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti :)

:)

TroubleShot, Apr 27, 2020

2. Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti

Hi there,

This is the first time I have posted here. Hi there everyone.

Windows Version Number: Windows 10 Pro - v 1909.

My laptop has been experiencing a problem. At the root of this is a damaged parition table - but I have had to do more than this - and no OS can be found as it is divded over two drives C: and E: which is a ramdisk created by the recovery process in response to the partition table corruption.

However in using TestDisk by way of only a test. My recovery partition has been slightly changed whilst I actually did nothing to it. The recovery partition is nolonger hidden and now has a drive letter f:. What I am trying to do is return it back. I can easily hide the partition by giving it a 'set id 27' in diskpart. But if I 'remove' the drive letter in diskpart it does go only to return on every reboot. My question is how to permanently remove this drive letter, any idea of the practices used by the manufacturer to achieve this? I want to reconfigure it just as it had been set up. (I have got another solution, but wanted to ask before I try this one). The aim is to get ... bcdedit /enum all ... to state the same that had listed the hidden recovery partition in one of the windows boot loader entries. This partition might have related to the creation of e: the ramdisk? (I am aware winre / winpe can create this).

Then I want to make sure the recovery partition is correctly configured and if it still is playing a role in the recovery process after all the updates of windows made in the past. For this I am aware I need to use reagentc.exe. But is this just a case of establishing the paths to the files install.esd and winre?

Any ideas? Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti :)

TroubleShot, May 23, 2020
  3. AndreTen Win User
    Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti

Hi TroubleShot, and welcome to Ten Forums.

You could try other methods of removing drive letters, but I would like to know a bit more on your system situation.. What happened that broke your system.. etc.

Anyway, here is Tutorial on How to remove drive letters (by Brink). Try 3rd option:

in elevated command, assuming your recovery partition is F:

Back to your trouble... I would make an Image of your drive, just in case anything goes wrong, and do a Repair install with an In-place Upgrade (mounting Windows 10 ISO and upgrade your system )

AndreTen, May 23, 2020
  4. knute97 Win User

Power Outage or Reboot Resets Drive Letters

Thank you for the reply, but I would like some clarification on the suggested solution(s).

In running diskpart, I typed "LIST VOLUME" as suggested by Rover85. I noted that my D: drive is listed as volume 8 and my E: drive is volume 9.

Do I then continue in diskpart with Gavin Adams answer of 1/27/2013 with the following script?

LIST VOLUME

SELECT VOLUME 8 (and/or 9)

ATTRIBUTES VOLUME CLEAR HIDDEN

EXIT

And this will assign the appropriate drive letter on reboot?

The one thing that bothers me is that my first try after reboot with Computer Management/Disk Management would not connect to the "Virtual Disk Service" until I did a second reboot.

knute97, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Diskpart - remove drive letter, but returns on reboot / Recovery Parti - Similar Threads - Diskpart remove drive

2. WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...: I ran this command and I would like to know all I can about the Volume with no DriveLetter. This will not show up in DiskPart as you can see.I could not get the command I copied and pasted below to be singled spaced. Thank you,vickyl71PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> GWMI -namespace...
  3. WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WMIC & DiskPart Drive Letter Missing How do I get a Drive Letter and Find Activity for this...: I ran this command and I would like to know all I can about the Volume with no DriveLetter. This will not show up in DiskPart as you can see.I could not get the command I copied and pasted below to be singled spaced. Thank you,vickyl71PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> GWMI -namespace...
  4. Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart: [Localization from this article: Manuelles Zuweisen eines Laufwerksbuchstaben mit CMD bzw. Diskpart - Microsoft Community]Technical Difficulty: ExpertApplies to: Windows 10 & 11In some cases, Windows will not assign a drive letter automatically to an inserted drive. For...
  5. Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Manually assigning a drive letter using CMD/Diskpart: [Localization from this article: Manuelles Zuweisen eines Laufwerksbuchstaben mit CMD bzw. Diskpart - Microsoft Community]Technical Difficulty: ExpertApplies to: Windows 10 & 11In some cases, Windows will not assign a drive letter automatically to an inserted drive. For...
  6. Drive letter not assigned to removable drive

Drive letter not assigned to removable drive: I admit it - I shot myself in the foot. At some time in the past I must have permanently assigned a drive letter to a USB flash memory drive (stick). Today I decided I should let Windows just assign the next available drive letter as it does for other removable devices (and...
  7. SD drive letter changes at reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD drive letter changes at reboot: I have a micro SD card configured as a disk drive on my laptop. For historical reasons I need it configured as Drive S:, and this worked successfully on other laptops, and previously worked on my current one an HP Envy running Windows 10 with the latest updates. However, a...
  8. Drive data recovery and drive letter

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Drive data recovery and drive letter: My question is that can "A change in drive letter" may affect data recovery process? Actually i made a reset on my windows 10 pc. Accidentally my all data was deleted. After the reset, i tried many data recovery softwares But a few videos and photos were detected by the...
  9. SD drive letter changes at reboot

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    SD drive letter changes at reboot: I have a micro SD card configured as a disk drive on my laptop. For historical reasons I need it configured as Drive S:, and this worked successfully on other laptops, and previously worked on my current one an HP Envy running Windows 10 with the latest updates. However, a...
  10. Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot

Diskpart assign letter "survive" after reboot: Hello, I don't understand. I am in a Win PE, or in another kind of recovery tool with command line. I do: diskpart sel vol 1 assign letter=z now "Z" is assigned to a disk. I REBOOT the computer and operate with another recovery tool (i.e. Macrium). I go...