Windows 10: Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim

Discus and support Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I read about adding drivers to a wim and updates. Does adding a driver replace an existing driver in the wim or does it just put it in the driver... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by cyberverse, Sep 30, 2022.

1. Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim

I read about adding drivers to a wim and updates. Does adding a driver replace an existing driver in the wim or does it just put it in the driver folder and you have it as an option later to choose? IE: hp driver for touchpad version 1, and you want to add/replace it with version 2 like you do in device manager.. And can you install a program to a wim, not a MS program, but some freeware, like 7zip? So after deployment, it shows them installed. I use DISM but I have not added drivers or apps or updates, and want to know how it applies them to the wim, and if the system boots loading thes

:)

cyberverse, Sep 30, 2022
  2. RejZoR Win User

How to get damn DISM to work?

Thx guys, I'll compress this data into a blog post. For all the so called guides I've read, not a single one mentioned it has to be WIM file (some listed even ESD which clearly doesn't work) or that certain ISO images don't work with DISM.

After I've done DISM thingie, SFC also managed to repair stuff. Which is what I've needed here.

RejZoR, Sep 30, 2022
  3. merlin59 Win User
    How to: Create Windows 7 SP1 Disc with integrated updates, IE9, drivers

Integrate updates Windows 7

Excellent tutorial from Drone. If you are interested in slip streaming your own installation disc, this gives you a clear understanding of the process and allows control for customization. To automate the procedure you can create a batch file as the following example. This file updates all 64 bit versions, can remove lines to suit your needs. Unable to extract cab files if using WinRAR, at least the trial version.

location of .msu files, can be any location
    *Windows6.1-KB* changed from "Windows6.1-KB2" to include more updates
    name of AIO SP1 64 bit retail DVD
    %% allows command to run in batch file
    change to x86 for 32 bit, add this line for all 5 versions in 32 bit
    Adds IE9, don't forget to place IE9-Windows7-x64-enu in C: and remove all files but IE9-Win7.cab

BATCH FILE:

mkdir C:\IE9
    C:\IE9-Windows7-x64-enu /x:C:\IE9
    mkdir C:\win7
    robocopy M:\ C:\win7 /E /A-:R
    mkdir C:\image\mount
    mkdir C:\image\updates
    robocopy G:\Windows7\A764bitSP1files\7Updates\new C:\image\updates /E /A-:R
    cd\image
    for %%a in (.\updates\*Windows6.1-KB*-x64.msu) do mkdir %%~pna
    expand .\updates\*Windows6.1-KB*-x64.msu -F:Windows6.1-KB*-x64.cab .\updates
    for %%a in (.\updates\*Windows6.1-KB*-x64.cab) do expand %%a -F:* %%~pna
    del /Q .\updates\*
    move C:\win7\sources\install.wim C:\image
    dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.wim /index:1
    dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:install.wim /index:1 /MountDir:mount
    FOR /D %%g in (.\updates\*Windows6.1-KB*-x64) do dism /Image:.\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:%%g
    dism /image:.\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:C:\IE9
    dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:mount /commit
    dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.wim /index:2
    dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:install.wim /index:2 /MountDir:mount
    FOR /D %%g in (.\updates\*Windows6.1-KB*-x64) do dism /Image:.\mount /Add-Package /PackagePath:%%g
    dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.wim /index:3
    dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:install.wim /index:3 /MountDir:mount
    dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.wim /index:4
    dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:install.wim /index:4 /MountDir:mount
    dism /get-wiminfo /wimfile:install.wim /index:5
    dism /Mount-Wim /WimFile:install.wim /index:5 /MountDir:mount
    cd\
    move C:\image\install.wim C:\win7\sources
    oscdimg -lW7SP1 -t012/16/2011 -m -u2 -bC:\win7\boot\etfsboot.com C:\win7 C:\GSP1RMCMUXFRER_EN_DVD.iso

Can add the other lines in Drone's tutorial to include drivers.
    All credit goes to Drone, this is just my modification of his work.

merlin59, Sep 30, 2022
  4. johnspack Win User

Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim

Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Sep 30, 2022
Thema:

Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim

1. Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim - Similar Threads - Dism adding drivers

2. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  3. How to mount wim file with DISM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to mount wim file with DISM?: I am trying to mount a wim file to customize the windows 11 installation. I downloaded the Windows 11 Media creation tool and created a usb key with it. I noticed the usb key had 2 swm files. I don't know if you can mount 2 swm files. I would prefer to mount 2 swm files...
  4. Data WIM using DISM

Data WIM using DISM: Dear Support Team,Can anyone guide me how to add Data Wim in Answer file using Windows System Image Manager Windows 10 with real life example. I was able to create Data Wim using DISM but got stuck at further steps....
  5. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data WIM using DISM: Dear Support Team,Can anyone guide me how to add Data Wim in Answer file using Windows System Image Manager Windows 10 with real life example. I was able to create Data Wim using DISM but got stuck at further steps....
  6. Data WIM using DISM

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim

Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim: I read about adding drivers to a wim and updates. Does adding a driver replace an existing driver in the wim or does it just put it in the driver folder and you have it as an option later to choose? IE: hp driver for touchpad version 1, and you want to add/replace it with...
  8. Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dism adding drivers/updates to Wim: I read about adding drivers to a wim and updates. Does adding a driver replace an existing driver in the wim or does it just put it in the driver folder and you have it as an option later to choose? IE: hp driver for touchpad version 1, and you want to add/replace it with...
  9. in which folder in wim mounted image added drivers go

in which folder in wim mounted image added drivers go: I am following a tutorial here to integrate device drives in windows install media, so I mounted the wim file in a directory and I go to see the following directory structure Code: PerfLogs Program Files Program Files (x86) Users Windows Inside them there are several...
  10. DISM, Export WIM>ESD (recovery) > Crashes (0x80070008)

DISM, Export WIM>ESD (recovery) > Crashes (0x80070008): Well, got interesting error with latest Windows 10 ADK, crashes while exporting image from WIM to ESD using /compress:recovery switch, same happens also with wimlib and solution seems the same (Figured perhaps this helps someone who might have same error). HW information:...